New Uniforms, use Boy Scouts style

Started by SARPilotNY, July 03, 2007, 04:15:17 PM

SARPilotNY

I have had a problem getting and keeping up with uniform changes.  Since we are no longer able to associate our aircraft as USAF Aux, maybe now would be a good time to switch uniforms.  For field uniforms, why not buy the same ones as the Boy Scouts?  The are Khaki over Green, look professional (just like the Forest Service and many sheriff's department) we could wear our ribbons on  the sash  over our chests, we could have our unit numbers or call signs on our shoulders and can buy these anywhere there is a Scout troop!  We could even transition scouts right into CAP without having them buy new uniforms!  What a great source for new members!  For formal meetings, we could use the Salvation Army's uniform.  Dark slacks, white shirt, black tie and maroon blazer with rank.  Again, easy to find and buy, inexpensive, sharp, and we can avoid the USAF Aux look.  Again, I would think we could attract some new members from the SA too.  I hear all the time people not liking the AF uniform because of grooming or weight standards, they are hard to find and purchase,  look to much like the Air Force and so on.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

RogueLeader

Is your sarcasm generator on overdrive? ;)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SARPilotNY

I will try this again...I am serious!  Boy Scouts have explorer posts that do police, fire, EMS and aviation services.  What a great place to find highly trained and experienced members.  The transition would be cheap, a win-win.  Our local police and volunteer fire departments all have explorer post and do much of what CAP ground teams do, search and rescue, first aid, crime scene investigation and security.  They are frequent and reliable personnel on missing person searches, do crowd control at fires and accidents and so on.

sparks

One more benefit, no Vanguard participation!

I bet those shorts would really look cool on some of the senior members!

RogueLeader

Quote from: sparks on July 03, 2007, 04:41:29 PM
One more benefit, no Vanguard participation!

I bet those shorts would really look cool on some of the senior members!
On some. . . . Not nearly all . . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

We already have a full line of non-USAF uniforms.  They're called CAP Corporate Uniforms.  Why duplicate what already exists?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 03, 2007, 04:40:36 PM
I will try this again...I am serious!  Boy Scouts have explorer posts that do police, fire, EMS and aviation services.  What a great place to find highly trained and experienced members.  The transition would be cheap, a win-win.  Our local police and volunteer fire departments all have explorer post and do much of what CAP ground teams do, search and rescue, first aid, crime scene investigation and security.  They are frequent and reliable personnel on missing person searches, do crowd control at fires and accidents and so on.

NO! We are the USAF Aux. Not any of these organizations. This is why we have the uniforms we do. If theirs are cheaper for you or more to your liking, go be part of them.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

capchiro

Obviously you haven't purchased a scout unifom recently.  Twenty-five years ago, the scouts had Oscar De La Renta or Pierre Cardin or someone redesign their uniforms and the price went sky high and the quality is not what it used to be either.  If we need to go to one uniform, then it could be the BBDU and blue flight suits.  They both wear well and are not too expensive.  That being said, I agree with the above..uhhh no, no scout uniforms..  Thank you very muchly..  Oh and by the way, there is already a process for combining the scouts and cadets in the Reg's so again..no and no..  
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Hawk200

Geez, we've had some doozies, but this one takes the cake.

Why would the Civil Air Patrol want to look like the Boy Scouts? The current jokes are bad enough as it is, why would we want to paint a target on our backs?

And that's definitely a new attempt to recruiting: Change our uniform to theirs, so they'll join us.

YGBSM...

pixelwonk

SARPilotNY

I have no problem w/the blue bdu's or flightsuit.  I actually think the look great, just need an orange shirt for ground teams and an orange undershirt for th e flightsuit.

Pylon

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 03, 2007, 05:01:04 PM
Geez, we've had some doozies, but this one takes the cake.

Why would the Civil Air Patrol want to look like the Boy Scouts? The current jokes are bad enough as it is, why would we want to paint a target on our backs?

And that's definitely a new attempt to recruiting: Change our uniform to theirs, so they'll join us.

YGBSM...

Heh, I think that there was some thick sarcasm in the original post  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DKruse

Quote from: capchiro on July 03, 2007, 04:57:16 PM
If we need to go to one uniform, then it could be the BBDU and blue flight suits.  They both wear well and are not too expensive.     

Not too expensive!?!?!?

The blue flight suits are $280!  I call that expensive.

BTW, I agree.  Corporate uniform all the way.
Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

SARPilotNY

We already have a full line of non-USAF uniforms.  They're called CAP Corporate Uniforms.  Why duplicate what already exists?   

Correct...but with so many are we really uniform?

Hawk200

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 03, 2007, 05:05:16 PM

Correct...but with so many are we really uniform?

So you want to add even more variations? How does that solve the problem?

CAP doesn't phase anything out, or takes a decade to do it. Right now the best bet is to consolidate some uniforms, and establish some phaseout dates that aren't 6 years out. That Guayberra (or however you spell it) shirt took forever to drop off.

JohnKachenmeister

This better be sarcasm, or I'm gonna talk about fundraising in Nevada brothels again.
Another former CAP officer

SARPilotNY

We just need two uniforms, the field green and khaki and the maroon blazer for "business" atire.

Hawk200

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 03, 2007, 05:13:36 PM
We just need two uniforms, the field green and khaki and the maroon blazer for "business" atire.

No we don't. We're not the Boy Scouts, and we're not the Salvation Army. We have variations to accomodate all of our members. We could stand to consolidate a good bit, but wearing Boy Scout uniforms is a ridiculous idea.

And people would have to replace their exisiting uniforms. It's not as "cheap" a proposition as you make it out to be. That's a couple hundred bucks that I most certainly have far better uses for.

SARPilotNY

of course we would phase it in, I like the idea of going back to the blue jumpsuits of the past and use them for flying,  lightweight and 4 sizes fits all.