New Uniforms, use Boy Scouts style

Started by SARPilotNY, July 03, 2007, 04:15:17 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 03, 2007, 05:24:01 PM
of course we would phase it in, I like the idea of going back to the blue jumpsuits of the past and use them for flying,  lightweight and 4 sizes fits all.

I don't see how people wore those blue jumpsuits. You call them "lightweight", everybody I knew called them "thin". That bright color look was in vogue in the '70's and early '80's, but it's considered tacky now. What's next? Tie Dye undershirts?

arajca

of course we would phase it in, I like the idea of going back to the blue jumpsuits of the past and use them for flying,  lightweight and 4 sizes fits all.
I presume you're talking about the infamous Smurf suits.
I don't know if you've seen the variety of body sizes that our memebrs have, but four sizes won't cover it.

Dragoon

Since cadets are drawn to us for our USAF ties, AND many wings get free uniforms through the National Guard or DRMO, AND the fact that USAF buys most of our cadets their first set of blues, it makes no sense to take cadets out of USAF uniforms.

Now seniors are a different story.  I think we could run a fine CAP in Navy Blue BDUs and Jumpsuits (the Jumpsuit - called the "utility unform" - is $40.  It's only $265 if you want it in Nomex).   Dress suits are actually less of a concern - most seniors don't need 'em.  We could stick with what we have just fine.

Incidentally, a few years back I ran into some Salvation Army types at a mission - and they were in grey slacks and aviator shirts!  The only real difference from our "white and greys" were the maroon epaulets.

Pylon

Trimming down our wide variety of uniforms?  Great idea.

Inventing new ones?  Bad idea.   

Throwing out our uniform heritage completely?  Terrible idea.  Do not pass go; do not collect $200.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: STX on July 03, 2007, 05:03:19 PM
Quote from: capchiro on July 03, 2007, 04:57:16 PM
If we need to go to one uniform, then it could be the BBDU and blue flight suits.  They both wear well and are not too expensive.     

Not too expensive!?!?!?

The blue flight suits are $280!  I call that expensive.

BTW, I agree.  Corporate uniform all the way.

Hey, you and gloria go face the opera. The USAF uniforms are vital.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

LtCol White

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 03, 2007, 05:13:36 PM
We just need two uniforms, the field green and khaki and the maroon blazer for "business" atire.

Yes. we need 2 uniforms. 1. USAF versions and 2. Corporate versions. Period, end of story.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

floridacyclist

That would actually be 4 uniforms (field and dress versions of both USAF and corporate), but basically I agree with one exception; the polo shirt should be worn when representing CAP at civillian functions where polo shirts are usually worn (EOC classes, other events calling for business casual etc) in order to better blend in and not seem so high-falutin.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

LtCol White

Quote from: floridacyclist on July 03, 2007, 07:04:21 PM
That would actually be 4 uniforms (field and dress versions of both USAF and corporate), but basically I agree with one exception; the polo shirt should be worn when representing CAP at civillian functions where polo shirts are usually worn (EOC classes, other events calling for business casual etc) in order to better blend in and not seem so high-falutin.

I meant 2 classes of uniforms. USAF and Corporate with the various versions in each. Agree the polo could be used for non uniform events.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Eagle400

Quote from: LtCol White on July 03, 2007, 06:44:01 PMYes. we need 2 uniforms. 1. USAF versions and 2. Corporate versions. Period, end of story.

But not so many corporate uniforms...

SarDragon

I.will. not.ever.wear.the.Smurf.suit. EVER!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Quote from: arajca on July 03, 2007, 05:28:18 PM
I don't know if you've seen the variety of body sizes that our memebrs have, but four sizes won't cover it.

That abomination came in 10 male sizes, and 7 female sizes, and after seeing some members wear them, that wasn't enough. They werem't flattering at all, and made most folks look like either bright blue sausages, or bright blue Shar Peis.

YUCK!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LtCol White

Quote from: 12211985 on July 03, 2007, 07:20:32 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on July 03, 2007, 06:44:01 PMYes. we need 2 uniforms. 1. USAF versions and 2. Corporate versions. Period, end of story.

Agreed. Should be:

Mess Dress/Blazer combo
USAF Blues/TPU
USAF Flight Suit/Blue Flight Suit
BDU/BBDU

Gray/white combo  necessary for those who don't meet grooming standards

Polo shirt for non-uniform functions but not to be worn as a uniform
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

LtCol White

Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2007, 07:27:35 PM
Quote from: arajca on July 03, 2007, 05:28:18 PM

That abomination came in 10 male sizes, and 7 female sizes, and after seeing some members wear them, that wasn't enough. They werem't flattering at all, and made most folks look like either bright blue sausages, or bright blue Shar Peis.

YUCK!

They were also affectionately known as the "blue trashbag"  ;D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

capchiro

Okay guys, back in the day (precisely late 70's) I wore the Smurf suit to fly in SE Florida and did sundown patrols, etc.  and they were about the most comfortable thing we had to fly in then.  We were in a new 152 and it was small and hot, hot, and did I say hot??  Of course all of you other lounge lizards were wearing leisure suits then with white elevator shoes, so I guess it was perspective and timing, right?? The Smurf suits were also relatively cheap at the time.  And as bad as they were, they are still better looking than scout uniforms or Salvation Army uniforms, so there..  And quit being mean to Shar Peis, some of our best Commanders have resembled same..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

floridacyclist

Quote from: LtCol White on July 03, 2007, 07:28:07 PM
Quote from: 12211985 on July 03, 2007, 07:20:32 PM

Agreed. Should be:

Mess Dress/Blazer combo
USAF Blues/TPU
USAF Flight Suit/Blue Flight Suit
BDU/BBDU

Gray/white combo  necessary for those who don't meet grooming standards

Polo shirt for non-uniform functions but not to be worn as a uniform

And the numbers climb again. I understand (and had forgotten about) the mess dress/blazer and the flightsuit, but ditch either the TPU or the Grey/whites.

We should just have one corporate alternative for each primary AF uniform.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Eagle400

Ditch the TPU, ditch the TPU!!!   >:D

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: capchiro on July 03, 2007, 07:31:44 PM
Okay guys, back in the day (precisely late 70's) I wore the Smurf suit to fly in SE Florida and did sundown patrols, etc.  and they were about the most comfortable thing we had to fly in then.  We were in a new 152 and it was small and hot, hot, and did I say hot??  Of course all of you other lounge lizards were wearing leisure suits then with white elevator shoes, so I guess it was perspective and timing, right?? The Smurf suits were also relatively cheap at the time.  And as bad as they were, they are still better looking than scout uniforms or Salvation Army uniforms, so there..  And quit being mean to Shar Peis, some of our best Commanders have resembled same..

Yeah... I had a leisure suit... So what?  I never had a Nehru jacket!
Another former CAP officer

ddelaney103

Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2007, 07:22:46 PM

I.will. not.ever.wear.the.Smurf.suit. EVER!

I had hoped to go to the NB in Vegas with my Smurf Suit.  I was planning on turning it into a cross between between a Vietnam War AF "party suit" and an Elvis jumpsuit - mini cape with sequined circle and tri-prop, that sort of thing.

I still have the plain Smurf Suit: I'm just looking for an appropriate send off for it, that's all.

ColonelJack

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 03, 2007, 07:48:01 PM
Yeah... I had a leisure suit... So what?  I never had a Nehru jacket!

I still have a Nehru jacket!!  (Those things are coming back into style, aren't they?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia