Show Us Your Rack!

Started by MIKE, June 26, 2007, 03:48:38 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: dougsnow on August 22, 2007, 05:46:36 PMI just wish there was somewhere I could wear my MI branch badge on a CAP uniform ;)

On BDU's, on the inside part of one of the pocket flaps.

On service dress, in the little "pocket" of the welt pocket (my maintenance badge fits there).

On flightsuit, inside one of the pockets.

On blue/white shirts? You're on your own. It would be visible under the pocket flap. Sorry.

Stonewall

Quote from: dougsnow on August 22, 2007, 05:46:36 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on August 15, 2007, 12:17:37 PM
Welcome Doug! I was a 96B in the Army as well.

I just wish there was somewhere I could wear my MI branch badge on a CAP uniform ;)

I learned recently, in the AF, if you attend a qualification school for your MOS in another service and it meets or exceeds the requirements for the same job in the AF, you are waived from that tech school.  As an example, an Army MP who transfers to the AF/AFRES/ANG doesn't have to go to tech school and is automatically awarded the 3-level skill badge for Security Police.

Same goes for several other MOS/AFSCs.  I'm sure intel would be one of them.  Not saying it's legit for CAP, but it seems someone could sorta find a loophole if it were that important to you. 

After all, I once saw a guy on region staff wear his Army expert marksmanship badge on his CAP uniform.  Thought that was kind of ghey.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 02:02:43 AM
After all, I once saw a guy on region staff wear his Army expert marksmanship badge on his CAP uniform.  Thought that was kind of ghey.

Now that's just wrong. The only marksmanship badges permitted on CAP uniforms are the CMP badges of the various branches of service. Personally, I might turn a blind eye on other badges that aren't that type, but not those.

Stonewall

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 02:12:11 AM... CMP badges of the various branches of service.

What's that?
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 02:13:30 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 23, 2007, 02:12:11 AM... CMP badges of the various branches of service.

What's that?

The stuff listed in 39-1 are these:

Distinguished International Shooter Badge
Air Force Distinguished Rifleman and Pistol Shot Badge
Silver Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge with Wreath
Bronze Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge With or Without Wreath

The Air Force ones are shown here: http://www-p.afsv.af.mil/AFSports/Sports/Shooting.htm

Go down to near the bottom of the page.

Here's another one that only shows the pistol badges: http://www.airforceshooting.org/eicbadgs.html

You'd probably have to do some looking for the other branches.

Stonewall

NRA marksmanship badges are authorized too, unless that's changed.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 23, 2007, 02:23:35 AM
NRA marksmanship badges are authorized too, unless that's changed.

The only one listed in 39-1 is the Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge, for cadets only. I don't think there are any others mentioned in the present manual.

jb512

I'm going to check and see how hard it is to get the wing approval to administer the NRA course of fire for cadets.  I just took my LE basic instructor and firearms instructor courses this year and was just thinking about that the other day.  Anyone have any tips or inside info?

Duke Dillio

I wanna wear my German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge with my service dress.  That would really wig some people out.  Heheheh

MIKE

Thats the cool looking one with the big eagle right?
Mike Johnston

jacklumanog

I suggest calling on the Wing and/or Region Chaplain to see if they can help move things along.  Both my Wing and Region Chaplains were very helpful in moving my promotion along and making sure my paperwork didn't fall into the black hole of which we all dread.

Quote from: Grumpy on August 21, 2007, 10:19:32 PM
Quote from: sargrunt on August 21, 2007, 08:33:12 PM
Or if your wing commander doesn't sign it or submit it to region... 

I have been attempting to get my Chaplain promoted since March.  One individual at wing denied the promotion but wouldn't return the denied paperwork.  They just let the Chaplain hang for five or six months without notifying us of the denial.  After months of my nagging they finally reviewed the action approved it and sent it to region where it was approved but the personnel guy lost the paperwork.  Now we're trying to process it again.

I'd hate to think that this TP thing has caused all this confusion.
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

Walkman

I'd post all my ribbons, but I'm not even a lowly Butterbar yet.

Can I show you my design awards instead? ;D

afgeo4

Aren't U. S. military occupational badges authorized? I know I've seen people with AF occupational badges and Army CIB, Parachutist, Scuba, Air Assault and others as well (not all at the same time.)
GEORGE LURYE

Stonewall

From 39-1:

Table 6-5. US Military Badges Authorized on CAP Service Uniforms and BDUs
1 US Military Aeronautical Badges
2 Air Force Occupational Badges
3 Combat Infantry or Army Medical Badge
4 US Army Air Assault Badge and Path Finder Badge
5 Parachute Riggers Badge
6 Scuba Badge
7 Distinguished International Shooter Badge
8 Air Force Distinguished Rifleman and Pistol Shot Badge
9 Silver Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge with Wreath
10 Bronze Excellence-in-Competition Rifle and Pistol Badge With or Without Wreath
11 Office of the Secretary of Defense Badge
12 Joint Chief of Staff Identification Badge
13 Presidential Service Badge or Vice-Presidential Service Badge
14 Excellence-in-Competition Badge

NOTES:
1. Badges are worn in the same position as they are worn on the Air Force uniform. If a CAP badge is worn in the same position, the member must choose one to the exclusion of the other.
2. Before wearing any badge not listed in Table 6-5, contact National Headquarters/LMM for
clarification.

Notice #2, it says "AIR FORCE OCCUPATIONAL BADGES" not "MILITARY".  AF is the only branch that has these badges anyway.  The Army has "branch insignia" that go on the lapels of the Class A's and Dress Blues.
Serving since 1987.

dougsnow

Army CIB is ok per item 3
Para is ok per item 5
Scuba is ok per item 6
Air Assault is ok per item 4

The AF has a qual badge for about every major AFSC (or AFSC field), they went pretty nuts after I got out back in 1993, and went badge crazy.

In the Army, you have a Branch Qual badge that says youre "infantry", "armor", "intel", or whatever. On BDUs, only the officers wear their branch insignia. On dress uniforms, the branch insignia is worn on the left lapel.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_insignia_of_the_United_States_Army

mikeylikey

Quote from: dougsnow on August 24, 2007, 12:47:43 AM
In the Army, you have a Branch Qual badge that says youre "infantry", "armor", "intel", or whatever. On BDUs, only the officers wear their branch insignia. On dress uniforms, the branch insignia is worn on the left lapel.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_insignia_of_the_United_States_Army

I hated giving up my branch insignia when we moved to ACU's.  Now we have no idea what an Officer's specialty is just by looking at him or her.  Before I could decide the worth of a new 2LT by seeing what branch he or she was in.  Now I have to ask what they do.  The Army should have learned lessons from Korea about identifying officers branches.  Nothing like having a Major lead a Battalion up a hill after the Battalion staff has been killed, and later finding out he was a Doctor who never saw one day of combat except for hollywood movies.  This was a big problem in Korea, and the decision was made to keep branch insignia on fatigues.  Same is true on todays battlefield.  I want to be able to identify a Field Artillery officer by looking at him (and now her) if I should need someone to call in some steel on the enemy. 

Sorry I digress, but the same is true in CAP.  We all look at the badges and rank and ribbons to see what a person has done and where he or she has been. 
What's up monkeys?

Duke Dillio

Quote from: MIKE on August 23, 2007, 03:41:27 AM
Thats the cool looking one with the big eagle right?

Yeah, it's got the cord and the gold eagle thing on it.

MIKE

The one I was thinking of doesn't have a cord... It's a pin on badge.
Mike Johnston

Duke Dillio

Quote from: MIKE on August 24, 2007, 03:25:11 AM
The one I was thinking of doesn't have a cord... It's a pin on badge.
Sorry, you are perfectly correct.  I only knew the german name and misinterpreted.  The German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge is just a pin on device.  I earned the "Schutzenschnur" Which is the Germany Armed Forces Weapons Qualification Badge.  I has the cord on it.  My bad.  Still wish I could wear it.

Stonewall

For reference...

BTW, I've seen a guy wear the Schutzenschnur in CAP service dress.  In fact, I have a picture of him in my photo album.

German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge

"Schutzenschnur" Which is the Germany Armed Forces Weapons Qualification Badge
Serving since 1987.