Show Us Your Rack!

Started by MIKE, June 26, 2007, 03:48:38 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 10, 2007, 03:51:25 AM
Too me, it's incorrect, foreign awards should come after "US" CAP awards, but that's my opinion.

I'm wrong.  No worries.  Was it that way before the latest 39-1?

You're not wrong. The previous renditions of 39-1 showed state decs below CAP awards, and foreign decs below state ones.

Stonewall

Well, I guess it's a good thing I never wore my military ribbons with my CAP ribbons after the new 39-1 was produced.  Or I'd be in a lot of trouble.   ::)
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on August 10, 2007, 04:07:54 AM
Well, I guess it's a good thing I never wore my military ribbons with my CAP ribbons after the new 39-1 was produced.  Or I'd be in a lot of trouble.   ::)

I went the other way. Just wore my military ones. Already had the rank made up.  ;D

adamblank

Not that it is very interesting.  I will give you the quick 411 on the spings and missile badge with the wreath or "toilet bowl" as the maintainers called it.

A while back 70s-80s.  Missileers would get the missile without the wreath.  Later, missileers earned the missile badge with the wreath or operations designator.  The last installment was that after tech school for space and missiles 13S officers and 1C6 enlisted would earn the space badge.  Missileers AFSC 13SXC would earn the missile badge with wreath after their first alert (missile duty).  Now, 13S officers and 1C6 enlisted members do not get any badge when they graduate tech school!  They have to give a briefing and become CSP or credentialed space professionals. 

Now after that overwhelmingly not very useful story, the question at hand.  The simple answer is no.  Those who have not served in a 13SXC (missile billet) since 2001 are not grandfathered for the space wings.  You will see folks with the missile with and without the wreath overwhelmingly in CAP.  Sorry to waste about 2 minutes too much of your life but at least you have the answer!

Adam
Adam Brandao

Camas

Quote from: jaybird512 on August 10, 2007, 03:03:33 AM
And you're missing a silver star on your leadership ribbon...
True enough but I haven't figured out how to superimpose it on the graphic so that's why it doesn't show.  I do wear it though it's really an option.  I also wear a clasp on both the encampment and red service ribbon.

Quote from: Stonewall on August 10, 2007, 02:43:48 AM
foreign awards are the last to go on your rack.  So technically they should be lower than your CAP ribbons.
I'm not so sure about that.  The VN campaign medal isn't really a foreign decoration; otherwise I'd wear it last.  I used CAPM 39-1 Table 5-3 on pages 93-94 as a reference and the VN campaign ribbon ranks number 100 on the list.

Stonewall

Quote from: Camas on August 10, 2007, 05:02:58 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on August 10, 2007, 02:43:48 AM
foreign awards are the last to go on your rack.  So technically they should be lower than your CAP ribbons.
I'm not so sure about that.  The VN campaign medal isn't really a foreign decoration; otherwise I'd wear it last.  I used CAPM 39-1 Table 5-3 on pages 93-94 as a reference and the VN campaign ribbon ranks number 100 on the list.

That's cool.  I was wrong.  Just thought it was a foreign award and should be last.  Lesson learned.  Cool.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPM 39-1Table 5-3. Order of Precedence for Wear of US Military Awards and Decorations on the CAP
AF-style Uniform (all are worn above the CAP ribbons)
Mike Johnston

jb512

Quote from: adamblank on August 10, 2007, 04:28:53 AM
Not that it is very interesting.  I will give you the quick 411 on the spings and missile badge with the wreath or "toilet bowl" as the maintainers called it.

A while back 70s-80s.  Missileers would get the missile without the wreath.  Later, missileers earned the missile badge with the wreath or operations designator.  The last installment was that after tech school for space and missiles 13S officers and 1C6 enlisted would earn the space badge.  Missileers AFSC 13SXC would earn the missile badge with wreath after their first alert (missile duty).  Now, 13S officers and 1C6 enlisted members do not get any badge when they graduate tech school!  They have to give a briefing and become CSP or credentialed space professionals. 

Now after that overwhelmingly not very useful story, the question at hand.  The simple answer is no.  Those who have not served in a 13SXC (missile billet) since 2001 are not grandfathered for the space wings.  You will see folks with the missile with and without the wreath overwhelmingly in CAP.  Sorry to waste about 2 minutes too much of your life but at least you have the answer!

Adam

It's not a waste if I was the one asking for the information.   :)

Now, if you had just spouted off for no reason then we'd be upset.   :D

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 12:38:30 PM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1Table 5-3. Order of Precedence for Wear of US Military Awards and Decorations on the CAP

See, my point was that Table 5-3 says "US Military Awards and Decorations".  What I'm talking about are non-US awards, but for some reason they still consider those US Military Awards when they are not.

I understand what the regs say, but I think the regs got it wrong this time.  I realize that if I wore my NATO ribbon or if I had one, the Kuwait Liberation Medal that was awarded by the Kuwaiti government, I'd have to wear them above my CAP ribbons, but I think it shouldn't be that way.

That's just my opinion here, not arguing what the reg says.
Serving since 1987.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Stonewall on August 10, 2007, 04:06:47 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 12:38:30 PM

See, my point was that Table 5-3 says "US Military Awards and Decorations".  What I'm talking about are non-US awards, but for some reason they still consider those US Military Awards when they are not.

I understand what the regs say, but I think the regs got it wrong this time.  I realize that if I wore my NATO ribbon or if I had one, the Kuwait Liberation Medal that was awarded by the Kuwaiti government, I'd have to wear them above my CAP ribbons, but I think it shouldn't be that way.

That's just my opinion here, not arguing what the reg says.

I disagree - I feel awards given out by national militaries should be over state awards and corporate awards.  Home nation awards first, mind you, but I think even Kuwait should be given precedence over CAP.

MIKE

Considering state awards shouldn't even be being worn.
Mike Johnston

jacklumanog

Ha!  The green weenie!  Never heard that before.

I've gotten conflicting info on this.  I was not a member of the New Century Squadron in KS when they were given the Unit Citation Award.  But, I've had lots of members tell me that I should wear the ribbon since I belong to the unit now.   CAP Knowledgebase seems to be quite adamant about the CAP Officer being in the unit at the time of the award.  Popular opinion seems to be the other way, though.

I've just decided the safest thing to do was not to wear it.

Wow, long answer to your funny...

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 05, 2007, 09:37:00 PM
Quote from: jacklumanog on August 02, 2007, 07:21:03 PM
I've enjoyed reading through this post!  What a pleasure to read of others exploits!

Here is my rack:

Padre,

No 'Green Weenie' yet? (Unit Citation Award.)  ;D
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

MIKE

If you were not a member of the unit during the cited period you DO NOT wear it.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 07:31:48 PM
If you were not a member of the unit during the cited period you DO NOT wear it.

I wish more people got this mesage. It's a little annoying to got to an encampment, and half the cadets are wearing one with a couple of silver clasps. Especially when they only have two or three stripes.

JC004

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 10, 2007, 07:34:06 PM

I wish more people got this mesage. It's a little annoying to got to an encampment, and half the cadets are wearing one with a couple of silver clasps. Especially when they only have two or three stripes.

Hey, we had a unit in which all of the cadets wore Lifesavings because the unit commander told them to.  Some basic asked me what my ribbon was, I told him, and he said "there's a whole squadron here wearing them" - sure enough, there was.

On the unit citation issue specifically, Knowledgebase at one time had two contradicting answers on this.  I am sure that caused misunderstandings. 

AlphaSigOU

Exactimundo! However, back in the olden days WIWAC when dinosaurs roamed the earth (well... not THAT far back!  ;D) CAPR 39-3 used the old Army rules for wear of unit awards - join the unit, you wear the unit citations, but if you transfer out you take it off, unless you served a period that is covered by a unit award, in which case you can keep it.

Unfortunately, the institutional mentality and poor record keeping perpetuates the abuse of wearing the Unit Citation Award. (Riddle me this... how come the streamer for the 'Green Weenie' is red with white letters while the ribbon is green?)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

docspur

My former unit received the Unit Citation where I received my "greenie."  When I transferred to my new on they received the Unit Citation and they tried to give me a clasp.  I refused it on the grounds that I was not a member of the squadron during the time they earned the award.

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

jimmydeanno

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 11, 2007, 09:52:11 AM
(Riddle me this... how come the streamer for the 'Green Weenie' is red with white letters while the ribbon is green?)

Probably the same reason that the mini-medal has two white stripes down the sides...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

MIKE

CAP has a tendency to be a bit inconsistent when it comes to consistency unfortunately.
Mike Johnston

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: MIKE on August 11, 2007, 09:01:29 PM
CAP has a tendency to be a bit inconsistent when it comes to consistency unfortunately.

Department of Inconsistency Department?  (Right next door to the Department of Redundancy Department!) ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040