Show Us Your Rack!

Started by MIKE, June 26, 2007, 03:48:38 PM

Grumpy

Wow, Major Carrales, I do believe I see a Security Police Shield and qualification badge in all that there metal.  Looks good.  Were you Security or LE?  I held a seven level in both.  I retired after a total of 22 years (6 active and 16 reserve/ANG) and it wasn't fun any more.

I enjoy your postings.

SarDragon

Hey, Olde Fart, straighten the coke bottles.   ;)  That's Stonewall's rack that Sparky is complimenting.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Quote from: Grumpy on July 21, 2007, 07:35:49 PM
Wow, Major Carrales, I do believe I see a Security Police Shield and qualification badge in all that there metal.  Looks good.  Were you Security or LE?  I held a seven level in both.  I retired after a total of 22 years (6 active and 16 reserve/ANG) and it wasn't fun any more.

I enjoy your postings.

Thank you, but the "rack" was not mine; but rather Stonewalls.  I was commenting on how well it rendered in the thumbnail.

Thank you for your service...I am somewhat embarrassed, albeit honored, that you would attribute these awards to me; but I must fess up to them not being mine.

Again, thanks for the compliment.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 21, 2007, 08:05:08 PM
Hey, Olde Fart, straighten the coke bottles.   ;)  That's Stonewall's rack that Sparky is complimenting.  :o

Oops.  How'd you know I wasn't wearing my "tri-focs".  :)

Ranger75

Recently returned to CAP following a number of years in the Active Army.

Sgt. Savage

[darn] Ragner, You may need to go 4 wide to wear all of that. You know a guys been somewhere... not by how many ribbons he has but by the number of stars on the National Defense Service Madal. I know a lot of guys and I've never seen 2 until now. Thank you for your service, Ranger.

The next question is, when are you going to get your GT done? A man with your skills would be a great GTL.

Ranger75

SGT Savage  --  I'll sort out the final configuration for the rack and choices among the staff service and specialty skill badges I'm authorized, when I break down and purchase a service dress coat.  Since becoming active once again in CAP, I have have not seen a need to make the purchase.   

It is unlikely that I'll seek to reestablish qualifications on the ground side.  Rather, I went over to the dark side and have focused on air operations and IC staff responsibilities.  While I have used my experience to assist my squadron in standing up a GT, having served as an infantryman for 32 years, rucking-up has lost its alure.  Rather, I'm working to complete final training requirements for IC3.

Thanks for your acknowledgement of prior service.  --  Regards

Stonewall

Quote from: Grumpy on July 21, 2007, 07:35:49 PM

I enjoy your postings.

I'm prior Army turned ANG Security Police.  Only hold a 3-level right now, hoping to have 5-level in minimum allowed time.
Serving since 1987.

Hawk200

Quote from: Stonewall on July 23, 2007, 01:43:13 AM
I'm prior Army turned ANG Security Police.  Only hold a 3-level right now, hoping to have 5-level in minimum allowed time.

Shouldn't take you long, but get the CDC's done as fast as humanly possible. And whatever you do, don't let them expire! All kinds of fun when that happens.

Hawk200

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 22, 2007, 12:16:41 PM
[darn] ...by the number of stars on the National Defense Service Madal. I know a lot of guys and I've never seen 2 until now.

I've got two on mine, but I'm not sure it's valid. Finished up an Army school last month, got my Aviation Badge, and they added Army Service, and another award of the NDSM (already had one with a star). I'm still looking into it.

I'm also wondering how many stars it's possible to get on that medal.

jb512

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 23, 2007, 04:16:05 AM
Quote from: Sgt. Savage on July 22, 2007, 12:16:41 PM
[darn] ...by the number of stars on the National Defense Service Madal. I know a lot of guys and I've never seen 2 until now.

I've got two on mine, but I'm not sure it's valid. Finished up an Army school last month, got my Aviation Badge, and they added Army Service, and another award of the NDSM (already had one with a star). I'm still looking into it.

I'm also wondering how many stars it's possible to get on that medal.

It looks like three (four awards)...  If you could physically do it:

"3. Criteria: a. The National Defense Service Medal was awarded for honorable active service for any period between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954; between 1 January 1961 and 14 August 1974; between 2 August 1990 and 30 November 1995 and between 11 September 2001 and a closing date to be determined..."

"c. To signify receipt of a second or subsequent award of the NDSM, a bronze service star will be worn on the service ribbon by U.S. Army personnel so qualified. Second or third award of the NDSM is authorized for soldiers who served in one or more of the four qualifying time periods. It is not authorized for soldiers who met the criteria in one time period, left active duty and returned during the same period of eligibility."

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jaybird512 on July 23, 2007, 04:26:09 AMIt looks like three (four awards)...  If you could physically do it:

"3. Criteria: a. The National Defense Service Medal was awarded for honorable active service for any period between 27 June 1950 and 27 July 1954; between 1 January 1961 and 14 August 1974; between 2 August 1990 and 30 November 1995 and between 11 September 2001 and a closing date to be determined..."

"c. To signify receipt of a second or subsequent award of the NDSM, a bronze service star will be worn on the service ribbon by U.S. Army personnel so qualified. Second or third award of the NDSM is authorized for soldiers who served in one or more of the four qualifying time periods. It is not authorized for soldiers who met the criteria in one time period, left active duty and returned during the same period of eligibility."

Three stars - highly doubtful any Korean War vets are currently on AD. Only high-ranking generals with 30+ years of service would probably have that amount, if they did time during Vietnam, GW1 and GWOT.

More common to see one or two service stars on the NDSM.

(I don't get one - I served in the 'gap' between Vietnam and GW1. And the DoD ain't budging on a Cold War Medal.)

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

davedove

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 23, 2007, 06:51:35 AM
Quote from: jaybird512 on July 23, 2007, 04:26:09 AMIt looks like three (four awards)...  If you could physically do it:

Three stars - highly doubtful any Korean War vets are currently on AD. Only high-ranking generals with 30+ years of service would probably have that amount, if they did time during Vietnam, GW1 and GWOT.

More common to see one or two service stars on the NDSM.

(I don't get one - I served in the 'gap' between Vietnam and GW1. And the DoD ain't budging on a Cold War Medal.)

It would be next to impossible to have three stars on the NDSM.  The person would have to have served during all four of the qualifying periods:  Korea for the initial medal, Vietnam for the first star, Desert Storm for the second, and GWOT for the third.  MAYBE a retired serviceman who had originally served in Korea who keeps getting reactivated during times of conflict for some reason. 

Even two stars would be rare.  That person would have to have served during Vietnam, Desert Storm and GWOT.  This is more likely, but still pretty rare.

I'm keeping optimistic about the Cold War Medal.  The House has continually approved it for several years, but it hasn't made it through the Senate.  It has made it through the House again this year.  After the changes from the last election, maybe it will make it through the Senate this time.  The DoD isn't really against the concept of the medal, they just hate that Congress is trying to make them do it.  If it was DoD's idea, we would already have the medal.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Ranger75

You'll find a number of senior commissioned officers (COL >) and NCOs (SGM/CSMs) wearing two stars.  Like me, they came in during the final year(s) of eligibility of the Vietnam era and hung in for 30+ years.  I myself never witnessed anyone with three bronze stars.   

ColonelJack

Quote from: davedove on July 23, 2007, 12:28:54 PM
I'm keeping optimistic about the Cold War Medal.  The House has continually approved it for several years, but it hasn't made it through the Senate.  It has made it through the House again this year.  After the changes from the last election, maybe it will make it through the Senate this time.  The DoD isn't really against the concept of the medal, they just hate that Congress is trying to make them do it.  If it was DoD's idea, we would already have the medal.

I already have mine -- unofficial, of course.  It's the Foxfall version (shown here) and I think it looks more like a "real" award than the other designs out there.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Flying Pig

I finally figured it out.......

Major Carrales

This has been quite a sucessful thread...considering, if memory serves, its a spin off of a thread that was eventually locked!!!

Keep 'em comin'
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Ranger75 on July 22, 2007, 12:09:35 AM
Recently returned to CAP following a number of years in the Active Army.

Thanks for your service, sir!  Quite an impressive array of decorations, but one question immediately begs me to ask a question:  What's the story behind the Officers-grade Légion d'honneur?  Quite an impressive decoration. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ranger75

Perhaps not as impressive as appears at first glance.  It is the Legion d'Honneur, but not from the Republic of France.  Rather, it was awarded by the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville) in the name of the Congolese President by the Minister of Defense upon my departure from Congo.  I served as the Defense and Army Attache for a number of years.  Congo was one of three African tours.  --  Thanks for your expression of appreciation for service.  -- Regards

wingnut

PUYALLUP Washington, July 30, 2007

MAN PLEADS GUILTY TO POSING AS MARINE CORPS CAPTAIN AND CHAPLAIN WEARING UNEARNED MEDALS OF VALOR
Conducted Weddings, Funerals and Other Events Illegally Wearing Uniform and Medals for Valor.
Reggie L. Buddle, 59, of Puyallup pleaded guilty in April to unlawful wearing of U.S. military medals and decorations (Misdemeanor). He told U.S. Magistrate Judge Kelly J. Arnold at his sentencing Monday that he was ashamed of his conduct.

Buddle posed as a Marine Corps captain in 2005 and 2006, wearing a uniform with medals intended as awards for extraordinary contribution to national defense and heroism in combat. He even gave the opening prayer for the Washington state Senate in 2006 and posed as a chaplain and reverend, including officiating at weddings and funerals of servicemen.

Buddle wasn't ordained, however Friedman has said the marriages he presided over would still be lawfully recognized.

The judge said Monday that Buddle would serve his community service tending graves at the Tahoma Military Cemetery in Kent.

I sure am Glad we don't have people in CAP who wear  medals they have not earned

Sidenote: I don't want to throw any doubt on those of you who truely have earned a medal for valor, I was awarded mt 1st one at 19 and had many senior NCOs try to order me to take it off, if its on your DD 214 according to CAP Regs, your authorized.