Weight Standard ABU/BDU

Started by SMKITCHEN, August 09, 2016, 03:12:43 PM

SMKITCHEN

Hello All!

I'm new to CAP Talk but not so much to Civil Air Patrol. I am a Flight Officer a couple weeks away from becoming 21 and a new Second Lieutenant. So I am eagerly preparing my uniforms and ordering the proper insignia for my BDU's as well as a set for ABU's. The problem is "on paper" I don't meet weight requirements, but I still fit in the same blues and BDU's I've worn for years and look well in. So I asked my commander if I could be issued an ABU and he said no without hesitation, and his reasoning was because I didn't make weight requirements.

Now with that said I've done the research and read over the CAPM-39-1 memorandum that was updated this last March, as well the ABU announcement that was put out in May; and nothing makes mentioned outside the part in regards to the Blue uniform for senior members being only for those who make weight. So, I don't know whether to discuss this further with my commander or just stick with BDU's until 2021 and make the switch the Blue BDU uniform which... honestly I don't favor very much.

Essentially I have everything for the ABU uniform with acceptation of the blouse piece, so I would hate to see it all go to waste. But if regulation dictates I don't wear ABU's, then I wont; I'd just like to see where it says that.

Thank You

FO Kitchen

Abby.L

Well, if you don't manage to get within weight standards by the time that switch rolls around, that may be what you'll have to do. Though, in all reality, we work more off an honor system in regards to weight standards, so unless it's obvious that you're grossly exceeding them, nobody's really going to pull a scale out and have you measured(Though it is within all possibilities).

That not going to say that you should disregard the core values to wear a schnazzy uniform, it's just saying that a few extra pounds probably would go unnoticed.  ::)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

There is no further discussion to have.  USAF-Style uniforms are only authorized for those who meet height and weight according to 39-1,
that includes the "same blues and BDU's I've worn for years and look well in".

You're not authorized to wear those, either.

Regulations dictate you don't wear the BDU, Blues, or ABU if you don't meet the weight "on paper".

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

If you're outside of weight standards then you have no business in Dress Blues, BDUs, ABUs, or ANY other Air Force Uniform.

SMKITCHEN

Fair enough everyone, thanks for the input.

Panzerbjorn

Welcome to the fat boy's club!  We have T-shirts, AND can wear them under our corporate uniforms!
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Eclipse

Membership makes your CAP ID card fun and easy to use!

It's also mandatory for all members, including cadets 18 or over!

"That Others May Zoom"

CS

I continue to be amazed (not really) at the number of members that wear the AF style uniforms while not meeting the weight requirements.  What is even more amazing is that members of CSAG and National Staff that don't comply are wearing them on a regular basis, and then wonder why there is a bad perception from the AF and other organizations.  The integrity of those that don't meet the criteria to wear the AF style uniforms is flawed and in my opinion should disqualify them as members of CAP, as it goes against the core values and the oath of membership.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CS on August 09, 2016, 05:10:28 PM
I continue to be amazed (not really) at the number of members that wear the AF style uniforms while not meeting the weight requirements.  What is even more amazing is that members of CSAG and National Staff that don't comply are wearing them on a regular basis, and then wonder why there is a bad perception from the AF and other organizations.  The integrity of those that don't meet the criteria to wear the AF style uniforms is flawed and in my opinion should disqualify them as members of CAP, as it goes against the core values and the oath of membership.

That's a pretty drastic stance. Time in and time out, termination (outside of dangerous/outrageous actions) is always understood to be a last resort. Now, if you get told not to, but you keep doing it? Then we start ramping up consequences.

Nick

I amazed that we continue to publish a weight standard table next to the Air Force maximum allowable weight since the Air Force quit having one like 10 years ago. Just call it the CAP weight standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: McLarty on August 09, 2016, 06:50:06 PM
I amazed that we continue to publish a weight standard table next to the Air Force maximum allowable weight since the Air Force quit having one like 10 years ago. Just call it the CAP weight standard.

Granted. But then people would probably ask where the numbers came from. How come 5'10" needs to be 213? Why not 215? 5'11" needs to be 219? Why not just round up to 220?

Etc.

etodd

All this talk of weight is making me hungry. Time for a slab of Dreamland ribs. Extra sauce please!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

winterg

Anyone that wants to wear the AF style uniform is welcome to come over to the President's Challenge Group. :)

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

stillamarine

Quote from: etodd on August 09, 2016, 06:56:19 PM
All this talk of weight is making me hungry. Time for a slab of Dreamland ribs. Extra sauce please!

Save me some banana pudding......
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

Weight standards suck period. I'm am under the maximum weight for my height. But I have a belly that looks like crap in blues. Even at work most the guys I work with are surprised of what my weight is and have told me they thought I was about 20 pounds more than I actually weigh. So if you tried to 2b me for wearing a uniform I technically can wear, we'd have a fight going.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

THRAWN

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on August 09, 2016, 06:28:36 PM
Quote from: CS on August 09, 2016, 05:10:28 PM

That's a pretty drastic stance. Time in and time out, termination (outside of dangerous/outrageous actions) is always understood to be a last resort. Now, if you get told not to, but you keep doing it? Then we start ramping up consequences.

Partially agree, but by the time you get to be a national staffer or a member of CSAG and still look like a big blue sausage, you've ignored the issue long enough and need to be dealt with. It's unfortunate. There are way too many eagles that I've see that are always wearing the windbreaker indoors or using some other kind of fat kid trick to hide their disregard for one of the most visible forms of integrity. It really is and always has been unacceptable. Lose the weight, or wear the GW. Simple.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: stillamarine on August 09, 2016, 07:54:06 PM

Weight standards suck period. I'm am under the maximum weight for my height. But I have a belly that looks like crap in blues. Even at work most the guys I work with are surprised of what my weight is and have told me they thought I was about 20 pounds more than I actually weigh. So if you tried to 2b me for wearing a uniform I technically can wear, we'd have a fight going.

you meet the standard. If anyone challenges that, it's on them.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eclipse

Or, considering how widely it is ignored at all levels of the organization, just eliminate it and move on.

SMKITCHEN is a prime example - it's clearly been ignored in his unit.  Nothing about it is "new", yet he says he's
wearing BDUs today, and the only issue made was when he asked for a free set of ABUs.

Does it make him a more motivated member to now realize he has to buy new uniforms, or if he doesn't that his
CC isn't doing his job?

How does this benefit CAP?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

This is why there should be annual weigh-ins for anyone who wants to wear USAF combos.

Not interested, no issue.

Want to?  There's the scale.

But we've been informed on numerous occasions that an organization like CAP, which loans people complex aircraft on a daily
basis, manages a $25-50MM annual budget, and purports to be a protector of life and property, isn't capable of figuring out
a way to insure everyone complies with the standard.

I would hazard just the threat of a weigh-in would be enough to embarrass most perpetrators to not bother.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on August 09, 2016, 08:04:00 PM

This is why there should be annual weigh-ins for anyone who wants to wear USAF combos.

Not interested, no issue.

Want to?  There's the scale.

But we've been informed on numerous occasions that an organization like CAP, which loans people complex aircraft on a daily
basis, manages a $25-50MM annual budget, and purports to be a protector of life and property, isn't capable of figuring out
a way to insure everyone complies with the standard.

I would hazard just the threat of a weigh-in would be enough to embarrass most perpetrators to not bother.

It really shouldn't be that hard. Have the conversation as part of level 1. If things start looking dicey...have a private convo.

I can't remember how many times I've been told, by well meaning and good officers that I might as well "wear it" as I can "pull it off", simply because it's an issue of apathy in terms of all the people who not only break the rules, but visibly are bulging at the seams.