Updated ABU Wear Instructions

Started by Eclipse, July 13, 2016, 04:18:12 AM

Jester

Quote from: Hyperion on July 13, 2016, 10:27:05 PM
QuoteExamples  of  these  items  would  be  Baseball  caps,  berets (Blue  Beret  activity  only)...

Took less than a month for the authorization of berets to sneak back in. I wonder how long will it take before it's fully authorized for the ABU outside of special activities?  ::)

As soon as I get into the regs and figure out how I'd like to submit a proposal to ban the blue beret period. I know it won't go anywhere but it thoroughly irks me that it's even a thing.

N6RVT

Quote from: stillamarine on July 13, 2016, 01:47:08 PM
Quote from: Toad1168 on July 13, 2016, 01:41:25 PM
So in reading this, it appears that squadron patches are not authorized on the ABU.  Is that your interpretation as well?

That is my interpretation. As well as no ES or Ranger patches.

Aren't the ES patches listed in attachment 8-1 and the ranger tabs in 8-2?  It looks like you can still wear the ranger tab, but now on the center of the pocket instead of above it, which  really sounds like a mistake.

Luis R. Ramos

For the BBDU and for the BDU.

They do NOT carry to the ABU. For the ABU you have to look at the wear instructions. Which appear to say NO to ES patches, and Ranger tabs. A few other patches or badges may be worn with the name, CAP, and Wing.

For complete list and correct wear see http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/UPDATED_ABU_wear_instruction_7_Jul__EEB893035EB1E.pdf
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Fubar

Quote from: PHall on July 14, 2016, 12:40:55 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on July 14, 2016, 12:07:43 AMThey got rid of the Wing Patches by making them optional.

Read it a little closer. Your Wing Commander is the one who makes the choice about Wing Patches.

Ok, let's read a little closer:

Quote from: Updated ABU Wear InstructionsWing Commanders may make wear of the wing patch mandatory for members of their wings.

It says the Wing King/Queen may make the patch mandatory. So the important word there is may. That means the Wing Commander may decide against making the wing patch mandatory. If it's not mandatory, it stands to reason it is optional. Otherwise the line would say the Wing Commander decides if the wing patch is worn for members of their wings.

At least, that's how clear instructions would work.

PHall

Quote from: Fubar on July 14, 2016, 04:58:36 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on July 14, 2016, 12:07:43 AMThey got rid of the Wing Patches by making them optional.

Read it a little closer. Your Wing Commander is the one who makes the choice about Wing Patches.

Quote from: Updated ABU Wear InstructionsWing Commanders may make wear of the wing patch mandatory for members of their wings.

It says the Wing King/Queen may make the patch mandatory. So the important word there is may. That means the Wing Commander may decide against making the wing patch mandatory. If it's not mandatory, it stands to reason it is optional. Otherwise the line would say the Wing Commander decides if the wing patch is worn for members of their wings.

If your Wing Commander made the Wing Patch mandatory it will hopefully be in your wing's Supplement to CAPM 39-1.

winterg

Quote from: Jester on July 14, 2016, 12:43:49 AM

As soon as I get into the regs and figure out how I'd like to submit a proposal to ban the blue beret period. I know it won't go anywhere but it thoroughly irks me that it's even a thing.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 14, 2016, 06:01:26 AM

If your Wing Commander made the Wing Patch mandatory it will hopefully be in your wing's Supplement to CAPM 39-1.

Our Wing King, also head of the NUC, sent a survey to all our members regarding the wear of the wing patch as it pertains to our wing. Half of us were torn between making it mandatory and leaving it optional on the ABU, and the majority supported leaving it mandatory on the BDU. So, end result for us was optional for ABU and mandtory for BDU until, of course, it phases out.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Damron

Quote from: N6RVT on July 14, 2016, 01:17:13 AM
So in reading this, it appears that squadron patches are not authorized on the ABU.  Is that your interpretation as well?

Aren't the ES patches listed in attachment 8-1 and the ranger tabs in 8-2?  It looks like you can still wear the ranger tab, but now on the center of the pocket instead of above it, which  really sounds like a mistake.

Update authorizes patches in 8.1-3, excluding ES and Ranger tabs.  Other than this exclusion, there is no further mention of Ranger tabs, so not authorized.  Honor Guard and Rocket patch are in 8.4, so not authorized.   No mention of Squadron patches, not authorized.

Jester

Quote from: winterg on July 14, 2016, 11:09:04 AM
Quote from: Jester on July 14, 2016, 12:43:49 AM

NEVER

Garibaldi

Quote from: Damron on July 14, 2016, 02:54:30 PM

Update authorizes patches in 8.1-3, excluding ES and Ranger tabs.  Other than this exclusion, there is no further mention of Ranger tabs, so not authorized.  Honor Guard and Rocket patch are in 8.4, so not authorized.   No mention of Squadron patches, not authorized.

Squadron patches remain authorized, as are comm and special activities for the left pocket. If they removed auth for squadron patches, there would be a massive (IMO) revolt.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

winterg

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 14, 2016, 04:15:25 PM

Squadron patches remain authorized, as are comm and special activities for the left pocket. If they removed auth for squadron patches, there would be a massive (IMO) revolt.
Until the wear instructions are updated, the squadron patch does not appear to be currently authorized on the ABU. Not to say it won't be. If someone is reading it different than I please correct me. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Damron

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 14, 2016, 04:15:25 PM

As of July 7 update, squadron patches are not authorized.   They were not authorized in the May 4 update either.

Damron

I agree.  The "may" appears to apply to the member.   I think the regulation should be "wear will be mandatory or prohibited by the wing commander", for sake of uniformity.

Left Sleeve. One full color, wing/region/national patch may be sewn to the coat on the left sleeve
½ inch below the shoulder seam reflecting the individual's current unit of assignment. Wing Commanders may
make wear of the wing patch mandatory for members of their wings.

NIN

The updated guidance isn't much more helpful. It may even muddy the waters of the original guidance some.

A number of things are  referred to without the same degree of qualification that they are refer to in the 39-1 chapters for BBDUs and BDUs.

For example:
Quote from: the updated guidance says
Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch authorized in Attachment 8-1 through 8-3, with the exception of the Emergency Services patches and Ranger tabs, may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of ABU shirt.p
[my emphasis here represents grey-shaded text denoting changed material in the original document]

A) There is no ATTACHMENT 8-1 through 8-3. There are FIGURES 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4, etc in Attachment 8.

B) Figures 8-1 though 8-3 in attachment 8 SHOW the patches, they don't AUTHORIZE the patches.  That comes from Chapter 10, and the guidance in Attachment 4.

C) Wear / don't wear guidance is found in Attachment 4, where the table lists the specific authorized locations for patches (and also badges) on the locations of uniforms. But it specifically mentions that it is just a quick reference for Chapter 10 and other specific uniform guidance found in the paragraphs describing the wear methods for each uniform (ie. chapters 3, 4 & 5)

D) Under the various chapters describing wear instructions for specific uniforms, they reference the specific wear instructions for things like patches on the sleeves and pockets.  Example:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, chapter 5
5.2.1.4.4. Left Breast Pocket. One full color patch as authorized by Attachment 4 may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower left portion of the left breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU shirt.
5.2.1.4.5. Right Breast Pocket. One full color patch as authorized by Attachment 4 may be sewn to the shirt centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket of BDU shirt.

The current 39-1 guidance for specific uniforms references Attachment 4, which then references Attachment 8 for the specific patch design but not the authority. The authority to wear is actually derived by Chapter 10, which further specifies that the specifics for each uniform's badge & patch wear are found in the individual wear instructions (ie. Chapter 3, 4 or 5) for that uniform.

E) There is ZERO reference in the new ABU guidance to Chapter 10, where certain patches and such are authorized, in particular unit patches.  Guess units are out of luck.

F) Apparently the rocketry patch and honor guard patch are also relegated to the dustbin of progress, as they are found in Figure 8-4.

Unrelated to the pocket & sleeve patch issues, the guidance for aviation and qualification badge placement in all other instances in 39-1 states, in part:

Quote from: 39-1, para 5.1.1.3.6.[...]All ultramarine blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia. When placing multiple insignia in the same area, measure from the insignia-to-insignia not blue to blue.
Emphasis mine

However, the originally published ABU guidance and the newly updated guidance for ABUs completely leave that out:

Quote from: updated ABU guidance, para on Aviation badgesAll light silver on dark blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

I'm officially confused. I'll stick to sewing on tapes and insignia, then wait for the dust to settle before sewing on any patches.

NIN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on July 14, 2016, 05:03:21 PM
I'm officially confused. I'll stick to sewing on tapes and insignia, then wait for the dust to settle before sewing on any patches.

You and me both, bubba.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Storm Chaser

All those color patches don't look good in the ABUs. If I get a set of ABUs, it will only have tapes, grade insignia, wings, and badges.

Wanda

Retired military, advisor to commander and squadron NCO. So the ABU is supposed to be worn with sleeves down.  CAP is following ABU policy with cut and paste from the AFM. I'm ok with this and understand that.  Most are not reading this as intent but what they want. There are many in my area that don't understand that the word "may" in the wear policy.  "May" authorize, is not authority to wear up all the time.  There is no date for guidance for dates in the year to wear up/down.   Wing guidance has not been established or a Wing supplement to 39-1.  I know it is earlier in the game with changes and guidance forth coming.  Has anyone heard anything or received guidance?

winterg

I see AD Air Force with sleeves rolled up all the time. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Wanda

I can say the same for down.  You didn't answer the question.