Hat/Cap/Cover/Headgear?

Started by etodd, July 12, 2016, 01:53:36 AM

etodd

Which "cap" is appropriate for wear with the polo / gray pants combo? Yes, I've tried interpreting the regs and just get more confused every time I try admittedly.

I found this CAWG page that mentions "Headgear is not required, but the CAP baseball cap may be worn."

https://sites.google.com/site/sq201cawg/senior-member-uniforms

So looking at Vanguard for "baseball cap" gives a few options. Which of these fit the regs? Logo, no logo, etc.?

https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/cap-hats

Thanks for any help. Do not want to order the wrong thing of course.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

pselig

Any CAP or civilian baseball cap, knit cap, boonie hat, etc., may be worn with the polo / gray pants combination.  My only requirement as a commander is that the headgear is clean and tasteful (similar to the CAP T-shirt requirements).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Spam

My personal favorite (appropriate for conference wear) is the Knights Of Columbus hat.

With cape and sword, of course... Google it for fun!

V/R
Spam

Eclipse

"6.2.9. CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation,
and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems
(clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor. "

The UA Heatgear Tactical Caps are a good choice as they are semi-water resistant and wick away heat.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: pselig on July 12, 2016, 02:09:02 AM
Any CAP or civilian baseball cap, knit cap, boonie hat, etc., may be worn with the polo / gray pants combination.  My only requirement as a commander is that the headgear is clean and tasteful (similar to the CAP T-shirt requirements).

Thanks!
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

RNOfficer

Quote from: etodd on July 12, 2016, 01:53:36 AM
Which "cap" is appropriate for wear with the polo / gray pants combo? Yes, I've tried interpreting the regs and just get more confused every time I try admittedly.

Not exactly on point but there has been clamoring for years for a grey flight cap to be worn with the aviator shirt/ grey trouser combination. Anyone know if there has been any response?

lordmonar

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 05:39:04 AM

Not exactly on point but there has been clamoring for years for a grey flight cap to be worn with the aviator shirt/ grey trouser combination. Anyone know if there has been any response?
As far as I know.....despite the level of "clamoring" no request/suggestion/begging has been sent through channels to the Uniform Committee.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on July 13, 2016, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 05:39:04 AM

As far as I know.....despite the level of "clamoring" no request/suggestion/begging has been sent through channels to the Uniform Committee.
Or at least has made it that far.

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, chances are I'll lose the extra 20lbs I need for Blues before a hat gets approved for G/Ws.

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe it never made that far, because most feel a hat for the polo/gray is not needed?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RNOfficer

IMHO , outdoors, the aviator shirt, grey trouser uniform looks incomplete without cap and the baseball cap looks too informal.

In military etiquette, an officer without a hat or cap outdoors in not fully dressed and should not be saluted. (A no-hat area, like a flight line might be, is almost always also a no-salute area)

Grey "garrison" caps are worn by cadets at military academies like the USMA and Citadel so should be available commercially. Incidentally, the grey color of the caps and the USMA uniforms comes from the New York militia uniforms worn by West Point cadets in the War of 1812. Grey is the traditional militia color and is the the beret patch color for the New York Guard, that state's organized militia.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: pselig on July 12, 2016, 02:09:02 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is clean and tasteful, is there anything preventing its being worn sideways?

Damron

I wear a navy blue baseball cap with squadron patch with my polo.  I wear a black baseball cap with a squadron patch with my aviator shirt.   My black cap I wear with my aviator shirt is clean and well shaped and looks pretty sharp.   

Toad1168

The polo combination and the G/W combination are corporate uniforms.  IMHO, the grade sleeves and ribbons (etc.) should be left off the G/W.  The attempt is made to make the G/W into a USAF style uniform when it isn't.  I know that I will most likely be rebuked for this, but these corporate uniforms were designed for those senior members that do not want or cannot wear the AF style.  Separate the two completely.  Use the AF style as that and the corporate as corporate.

I know it got off topic from the cap, but the discussion to have a grey flight cap for the G/W makes no sense. 
Toad

LSThiker

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 03:55:27 PM
IMHO, the grade sleeves and ribbons (etc.) should be left off the G/W.

So for those senior members that cannot wear the USAF-style uniform, they should not be allowed to wear rank or their ribbons?  Why?

CAPDCCMOM

To say that ribbons and grade should not be allowed on the Corporate Uniform is a place I think that you seriously do not want to go.

How about this, if you can't or don't wear the AF uniform you don't hold a grade at all, and CAP does not want you. That is about what you are saying Toad.

I do not wear the AF uniform, that does not lessen my commitment to the program at all. In my most humble opinion, I say leave the AF uniform to the Cadets, the rest of us all wear Corporate and BBDU/CFU.

There is way to much among the Senior Member/Officers in the attitude that those that wear the Af, usually poorly, are somehow better than the rest. If Senior Member/Officers would only put as much care and emphasis on the Mission, CAP would be a much better place.

Toad1168

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on July 14, 2016, 04:13:45 PM
To say that ribbons and grade should not be allowed on the Corporate Uniform is a place I think that you seriously do not want to go.

How about this, if you can't or don't wear the AF uniform you don't hold a grade at all, and CAP does not want you. That is about what you are saying Toad.

I do not wear the AF uniform, that does not lessen my commitment to the program at all. In my most humble opinion, I say leave the AF uniform to the Cadets, the rest of us all wear Corporate and BBDU/CFU.

There is way to much among the Senior Member/Officers in the attitude that those that wear the Af, usually poorly, are somehow better than the rest. If Senior Member/Officers would only put as much care and emphasis on the Mission, CAP would be a much better place.

My point is more of the distinction between corporate and USAF style uniforms.  Yes a great number of SMs wear those incorrectly.  Hence the days when we had to wear the maroon sleeves, if you remember that.  Many arguments have been made about the corporate vs USAF style uniform that do not need to be rehashed here.  If a military uniform is what the member wants to wear, then wear that one.   If the corporate style is what is desired, then wear that. 

The statement about SMs just wearing the corporate style is valid.  But my issue is that may of those are worn poorly as well standing shoulder to shoulder with members in the USAF style.  Same configuration, just different shirt and pants.  It goes to the overall professional image that we wish to portray and unfortunately most people don't distinguish between the uniforms.  They only see one thing, the whole of CAP.
Toad

CAP_truth

IMHO I think we should have a complete CSU to include coat and hat.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Damron

I wouldn't mind dumping ribbons for seniors and I wouldn't mind if seniors only wore corporate uniforms.   

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 04:31:01 PM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on July 14, 2016, 04:13:45 PM

My point is more of the distinction between corporate and USAF style uniforms.  Yes a great number of SMs wear those incorrectly.  Hence the days when we had to wear the maroon sleeves, if you remember that.  Many arguments have been made about the corporate vs USAF style uniform that do not need to be rehashed here.  If a military uniform is what the member wants to wear, then wear that one.   If the corporate style is what is desired, then wear that. 

The statement about SMs just wearing the corporate style is valid.  But my issue is that may of those are worn poorly as well standing shoulder to shoulder with members in the USAF style.  Same configuration, just different shirt and pants.  It goes to the overall professional image that we wish to portray and unfortunately most people don't distinguish between the uniforms.  They only see one thing, the whole of CAP.

Ribbons and badges are optional on the G/Ws.

For those who cannot wear AF uniforms, you'd ultimately eliminate even the ability to wear those ribbons/badges. We already have way too many people wear the AF uniforms outside of H/W regs, and this would make it even worse. Just what part of a properly worn G/W uniform doesn't look right to you? Because I've seen plenty of members in AF uniforms look worse than those in the corporates.