Main Menu

Flight Suit Badges

Started by JohnKachenmeister, May 25, 2007, 02:19:28 PM

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Mustang on May 28, 2007, 01:09:04 AM
I believe the ball was "dropped" because Susie Parker has made it known she does not like embroidered nametags.

Why an NHQ employee who's not a volunteer member even has a say in the matter is beyond me, but that's what I understand.

Great!

Now the CHEERLEADERS are calling the plays on the field now.

Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: Mustang on May 28, 2007, 01:15:32 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on May 27, 2007, 09:38:05 PM
Well that is how it will have to work. NHQ isnt going to say "Whoever wants to make these for our people can do it" since they have made a big deal over trademark issues. The point is that if they go to someone who already produces them and provides them with the designs for the wings, it wont matter how few are sold, the cost will be the same.

No, because the place making those tags now is not paying CAP a royalty (which is why I won't publish their name here).  The ONLY reason NHQ has made a stink about trademarks and whatnot is they think CAP should be entitled to a royalty from every purchase of CAP merchandise.  This is sorely nearsighted thinking, NHQ should do whatever they can to MINIMIZE the cost to the CAP volunteers, not pad everything with additional profit for CAP.  And I don't care if they are (allegedly) putting that money into CAP facilities or not, they should not look to the membership as a revenue center.

Your SIR are correct!  They will take as much as they can from the membership, and when they find a way to take money from non-members they will as well!!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Well that is how it will have to work. NHQ isnt going to say "Whoever wants to make these for our people can do it" since they have made a big deal over trademark issues. The point is that if they go to someone who already produces them and provides them with the designs for the wings, it wont matter how few are sold, the cost will be the same.

No, because the place making those tags now is not paying CAP a royalty (which is why I won't publish their name here).  The ONLY reason NHQ has made a stink about trademarks and whatnot is they think CAP should be entitled to a royalty from every purchase of CAP merchandise.  This is sorely nearsighted thinking, NHQ should do whatever they can to MINIMIZE the cost to the CAP volunteers, not pad everything with additional profit for CAP.  And I don't care if they are (allegedly) putting that money into CAP facilities or not, they should not look to the membership as a revenue center.

I'm familiar with the company. They do really 1st class work. I agree there is prob a royalty issue which I think is stupid. But I'm sure NHQ won't authorize it without "approved" vendor/vendors. We all agree that there are things that SHOULD and SHOULDN't be done.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

ELTHunter

Quote from: LtCol White on May 28, 2007, 08:06:32 PM

I'm familiar with the company. They do really 1st class work. I agree there is prob a royalty issue which I think is stupid. But I'm sure NHQ won't authorize it without "approved" vendor/vendors. We all agree that there are things that SHOULD and SHOULDN't be done.

I am having some shirts made up with the CAP emblem on the chest, maybe I should be worried about the black van showing up and demanding a royalty payment.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

Quote from: ELTHunter on May 28, 2007, 11:21:26 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on May 28, 2007, 08:06:32 PM

I am having some shirts made up with the CAP emblem on the chest, maybe I should be worried about the black van showing up and demanding a royalty payment.

Be afraid!  Be very afraid! 

LtCol White

"Vroom, vroom......screach...... knock, knock, knock !!!!"
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: LtCol White on May 28, 2007, 11:37:23 PM

You mean, they actually take the time to knock?

I figured they'd just bust in, and snatch you...

LtCol White

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on May 29, 2007, 01:11:27 AM
Quote from: LtCol White on May 28, 2007, 11:37:23 PM

You mean, they actually take the time to knock?

I figured they'd just bust in, and snatch you...

Well, even the Nazis knocked about 30 seconds before they kicked in your door. The black van personnel have been sent to sensitivity training so as to appear slighltly different from their black van personnel of 60yrs ago. LOL
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on May 25, 2007, 11:34:07 PM
I saw one CAP officer with a cloth name badge quite recently.  Had read about it in the minutes and assumed it had been authorized.  Interesting. 

Yeah... I recently saw an officer with a blue and white embroidered tag on his uniform too. Apparently he saw it in the minutes and thought it was authorized too... I think it said "U.S. Civil Air Patrol"
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 28, 2007, 04:33:38 PM

Your SIR are correct!  They will take as much as they can from the membership, and when they find a way to take money from non-members they will as well!!

Okay you two... explain membership dues.  ;)
GEORGE LURYE

SAR-EMT1

I cannot put enough emphasis into this: if the alternative to the leather name patch is ultramarine then stick with the leather.
If the alternative to the plastic encased grade is white on ultramarine, then by all means KEEP the plastic.
The ultramarine is HORENDOUS to look at. Now if it were a darker color fine, but any 'ultra' color needs to stay off a uniform.
- Personally I feel the best solution is a subdued tape reading either
USAF Aux or even Civil Air Patrol, as long as its subdued.
- not as a power grab thing, but for 'fashion sense' (for lack of a better term)
Just my two cents.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

MIKE

Take a page from the RAFVR(T). Except it would seem that they are starting to adopt more distinctive Air Cadets insignia for their CS95 (BDU).
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 29, 2007, 03:48:08 AM
I cannot put enough emphasis into this: if the alternative to the leather name patch is ultramarine then stick with the leather.
If the alternative to the plastic encased grade is white on ultramarine, then by all means KEEP the plastic.
The ultramarine is HORENDOUS to look at. Now if it were a darker color fine, but any 'ultra' color needs to stay off a uniform.
- not as a power grab thing, but for 'fashion sense' (for lack of a better term)
Just my two cents.

But the AF generic aircrew style namepatch is blue...

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 04:02:48 AM
Just my two cents.

Yes, its Royal Blue and white and it looks fine. I said no to ULTRAMARINE blue.

If we have the AF patch with CAP or USAF Aux added in somewhere
(not USCAP) I would be very happy.

Is it ALL AF patches though? When I was in AFROTC the patches had "solo wings" listed "CADET'"  as rank and was Maroon in color. -- though that could just be ROTC
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SAR-EMT1

And I just wanted to state my reason for my dislike of " USCAP" - It makes us seem like our own little entity. When really we arent, we are a very tiny part of the USAF.  So to me USAF-Aux seems the best and CAP follows - since thats the name Congress gave us.

JMHO
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 29, 2007, 04:27:09 AM
Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 04:02:48 AM
Just my two cents.

Yes, its Royal Blue and white and it looks fine. I said no to ULTRAMARINE blue.

If we have the AF patch with CAP or USAF Aux added in somewhere
(not USCAP) I would be very happy.

Is it ALL AF patches though? When I was in AFROTC the patches had "solo wings" listed "CADET'"  as rank and was Maroon in color. -- though that could just be ROTC

But a lighter blue nonetheless.  I hearby approve AF standard for CAP. ::poof::

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 29, 2007, 04:29:35 AM
And I just wanted to state my reason for my dislike of " USCAP" - It makes us seem like our own little entity. When really we arent, we are a very tiny part of the USAF.  So to me USAF-Aux seems the best and CAP follows - since thats the name Congress gave us.

JMHO

:)

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2007, 08:14:49 PMVelcro (R) is no loger a registered trademak name.  It is simply Velcro.  I met the guy who took the "hook and loop" fastners and cut them into strips, packaged them and sold them.  He is now a multi-millionaire.  Got to love those stoned hippies inventing something that already existed!  I believe he said it was in 1972.

Velcro (R) is still a registered trademark. Search here for Velcro, and view the items still in force.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on May 29, 2007, 05:34:44 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 27, 2007, 08:14:49 PMVelcro (R) is no loger a registered trademak name.  It is simply Velcro.  I met the guy who took the "hook and loop" fastners and cut them into strips, packaged them and sold them.  He is now a multi-millionaire.  Got to love those stoned hippies inventing something that already existed!  I believe he said it was in 1972.

Velcro (R) is still a registered trademark. Search here for Velcro, and view the items still in force.

::flex:: The General is victorious!

SAR-EMT1

Somehow I imagine an overweight white haired Senior member getting naked painting himself blue and charging headlong into Maxwell wielding a battleaxe.
     ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

LtCol White

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG