Main Menu

BDU with New Tapes

Started by Damron, June 17, 2016, 06:39:22 PM

Holding Pattern

So just trying to understand here... this is the new tapes authorized for the ABU on the BDU?

winterg

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on June 20, 2016, 09:40:57 PM
So just trying to understand here... this is the new tapes authorized for the ABU on the BDU?

Yes, new tapes on BDU's.  Looks like the OP got them made from a 3rd party.

In addition to approving the ABU, the memo dated 04MAY16 said that we are also transitioning to the dark tapes on the BBDU and BDU.

QuotePara. 3
CAP will also begin to transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs with a mandatory wear date of 15 June 2021.

Damron

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on June 17, 2016, 09:28:09 PM
I applaud you on the good looking grade.

It took three attempts with three different seamstresses to get it right. 

winterg

Quote from: Damron on June 20, 2016, 10:00:19 PM
It took three attempts to find a seamstress that had the skills and comprehension skills to get it right.

I always encourage members to take a few minutes and learn how to use a home sewing machine.  If you can pass Level I in CAP, you can sew in a straight line!  It is a valuable skill.  Sadly, if you Google how to sew name tapes on BDU's all you get is how to use iron on heat bond or stitch-witchery. 

Also Sad, most squadrons have no members with the basic ability to sew on a name tape and some rank.  And since CAP has not produced (that I have seen) a sewing guide you can print out and give to your neighborhood tailor shop, we end up with some rather interesting attempts. 

It baffles me how some members turn up at a meeting with their patches/rank sewn all kiddywampus and thinking nothing off it.  When you point it out to them, they only reply that this was how the tailor sewed it on.  "But, didn't you check it against 39-1 to make sure it was correct?"

Damron

Quote from: winterg on June 20, 2016, 10:08:53 PM
Quote from: Damron on June 20, 2016, 10:00:19 PM
It took three attempts to find a seamstress that had the skills and comprehension skills to get it right.

I always encourage members to take a few minutes and learn how to use a home sewing machine.  If you can pass Level I in CAP, you can sew in a straight line!  It is a valuable skill.  Sadly, if you Google how to sew name tapes on BDU's all you get is how to use iron on heat bond or stitch-witchery. 

Also Sad, most squadrons have no members with the basic ability to sew on a name tape and some rank.  And since CAP has not produced (that I have seen) a sewing guide you can print out and give to your neighborhood tailor shop, we end up with some rather interesting attempts. 

It baffles me how some members turn up at a meeting with their patches/rank sewn all kiddywampus and thinking nothing off it.  When you point it out to them, they only reply that this was how the tailor sewed it on.  "But, didn't you check it against 39-1 to make sure it was correct?"

I'm not too bad with a sewing machine.  I'm just a perfectionist.   

Years ago, bored as hell, I was visiting my mom and discovered her sewing machine in a closet.  Over the course of a couple of months, I made a few garments from patterns.  Results weren't bad.  That said, it made me respect the skills of an expert.   

I found a pro that is cheap with amazing skills.  She had experience with military uniforms and the 39-1 illustrations were enough for her.   I have better things to do with my free time.

Ozzy

With it all sewn on in daylight. It took me a few tries for the NCO stripes... luckily the next ones will be easier
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Damron

Quote from: Ozzy on June 20, 2016, 10:29:27 PM
With it all sewn on in daylight. It took me a few tries for the NCO stripes... luckily the next ones will be easier

Trick of the light or are they slightly different shades?  Stripes look darker.

supertigerCH

yes, there does appear to be a slight difference in the shade of the dark blue (it being darker on the stripes)...

however, in terms of all the colors that we could be wearing, this is an amazingly good choice.  I don't know about anyone else for sure... but I reckon most everyone will agree.

if all we have to worry about is a very sight shade of difference in the dark blue (that most people wont even notice except when in bright sunlight)...  then I am more than okay with it.

Ozzy

Again, it seems like the camera decided to make the tape look lighter then the stripes. It's a lot less pronounced in person.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

Eclipse

So /nitpick, shouldn't the stripes be silver too?

Those background colors might be "close", but the clearly don't match.

In this photo they are so bright they look Photoshopped.

"That Others May Zoom"

Okayish Aviator

Quote from: Ozzy on June 20, 2016, 10:29:27 PM

That looks really good despite the slight shade difference. I can't wait to get my uniform put together. All I need are the patches.
Always give 100%, unless you're giving blood.

SarDragon

Early on in my CAP career, my mom sat my young butt down at the sewing machine, and taught me how to sew on my own crap. I have done all my own CAP sewing since then.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on June 21, 2016, 03:07:00 AM
Early on in my CAP career, my mom sat my young butt down at the sewing machine, and taught me how to sew on my own crap. I have done all my own CAP sewing since then.

My mom didn't even wait for me to get into CAP. I was in Cub Scouts when she taught me how sew.

raivo

I can sew, but mainly just as a stopgap until I can get somebody competent to do it...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Damron

I'd rather work than sew.  My time is scarce, so I'm money ahead by paying somebody else to do my sewing.   In my case, that somebody else is a very skilled seamstress.   If you have more time than money or available work, get sewing.    My seamstress sewed 16 items on two shirts and two hats and charged me $23. 

raivo

I usually take it to the alterations shop at my base, because I'm not a stickler for quality. >:D

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Damron on June 21, 2016, 05:17:23 AM
I'd rather work than sew.  My time is scarce, so I'm money ahead by paying somebody else to do my sewing.   In my case, that somebody else is a very skilled seamstress.   If you have more time than money or available work, get sewing.    My seamstress sewed 16 items on two shirts and two hats and charged me $23.

Can't beat that.

winterg

That's great. But when the average cost is closer to $5 per item sewn onto a bdu shirt, it adds up fast. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Damron

Quote from: winterg on June 21, 2016, 02:29:17 PM
That's great. But when the average cost is closer to $5 per item sewn onto a bdu shirt, it adds up fast. 

I told her she had to charge more and tipped her $10.

NIN

My local seamstress does things I can't easily do (wing patches, back when they went on the service coat). She has 39-1, and we send cadets & seniors to her all the time.

One of my seniors came in a couple months back with his railroad tracks on his field jacket 90 degrees out.. he knew it was wrong, but he had to wear it to watch my reaction.

MFW:

He claimed to have "his own seamstress."  The grade on his BDUs had also been sewn on "Navy" style. 

"You need a new seamstress, man."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.