Main Menu

BDU with New Tapes

Started by Damron, June 17, 2016, 06:39:22 PM

Damron

I think the BDU looks great with dark blue tapes!

http://imgur.com/yoxhS0H

(Light silver looks white in photographs)

Майор Хаткевич

Wow, that's actually quite a difference.

Jester

Where did the tapes come from?

Looks good. I think all 3 utility uniforms will look markedly better with this change.

Damron

Quote from: Jester on June 17, 2016, 06:43:49 PM

Looks good. I think all 3 utility uniforms will look markedly better with this change.

Picked them up on eBay.  They match the Vanguard insignia perfectly.   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Name-Tapes-Custom-Design-Army-Paintball-Marine-Civil-Air-Patrol-Crafts-/291485563996?var=&hash=item43dde4bc5c:m:mUFBdntRQyQEIzV-K24dtzA

Майор Хаткевич

Especially BBDUs.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Damron on June 17, 2016, 06:47:25 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Military-Name-Tapes-Custom-Design-Army-Paintball-Marine-Civil-Air-Patrol-Crafts-/291485563996?var=&hash=item43dde4bc5c:m:mUFBdntRQyQEIzV-K24dtzA

QuoteNavy Blue:
[/size]White Thread, No Velcro

[/size]Not quite though.

Damron

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on June 17, 2016, 06:48:40 PM

QuoteNavy Blue:

[/size]Not quite though.

They match perfectly.  I requested light silver thread on navy blue tape from the seller and they were a perfect match to cloth rank insignia I ordered from Vanguard.   If there wasn't a match, I wouldn't have used them.

vorteks

Quote from: Damron on June 17, 2016, 06:52:50 PM

QuoteNavy Blue:

[/size]Not quite though.

They match perfectly.  I requested light silver thread on navy blue tape from the seller and they were a perfect match to cloth rank insignia I ordered from Vanguard.   If there wasn't a match, I wouldn't have used them.

I'm sure it looks better in person. In the picture it looks like pure white thread on black tapes, at least on my screen.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: varitec on June 17, 2016, 07:00:18 PM
Quote from: Damron on June 17, 2016, 06:52:50 PM

QuoteNavy Blue:
White Thread, No Velcro

Not quite though.

I'm sure it looks better in person. In the picture it looks like pure white thread on black tapes, at least on my screen.

There's some BDU black right next to the CAP tape. Compare and you'll see that it's a dark blue. But on it's own, yea, dark blue looks...black.

Damron

I mentioned in another thread that nobody cared enough to describe "dark blue" in terms of RGB, CYMK, or Pantone references.

Navy Blue is a bit darker than Dark Blue in the W3C RGB standard.  It will be interesting to see if Vanguard will have a Dark Blue or actually use their current Navy Blue.

That said, a few laundry cycles will have the Navy Blue lighten up a bit.  A bit too dark is better than a bit too light on the BDU.   The opposite is likely with the ABU.    If there is a dramatic difference, I'll replace with Vanguard's tapes.   Ten bucks wasted is not going to sink me.

Ozzy

I had some Navy blue tapes with light silver writing done up to see how they look by a different vendor... the color matches exactly to the CAP NCO stripes. I'll get you a picture of it later on the ABUS when I get home
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

vento

Eclipse

Is that silver or white thread?  I didn't see silver offered by the eBay vendor you said you used.

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Quote from: Ozzy on June 17, 2016, 07:55:54 PM
I had some Navy blue tapes with light silver writing done up to see how they look by a different vendor... the color matches exactly to the CAP NCO stripes. I'll get you a picture of it later on the ABUS when I get home

Are they fabric or webbed tapes? 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: vento on June 17, 2016, 08:09:11 PM
The tapes are now available for sale by Vanguard. (no images yet)
https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/cap-name-tapes-and-name-plates

Apparently they went up on the 14th. Placed my order on the 15th, and it's still processing..which is to be expected.

Ozzy

Quote from: Jester on June 17, 2016, 08:24:16 PM

I did fabric strips. I liked them a lot better then the web strips
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ozzy on June 17, 2016, 08:43:31 PM
Quote from: Jester on June 17, 2016, 08:24:16 PM

I did fabric strips. I liked them a lot better then the web strips

I keep forgetting, which hold up the color better?

Ozzy

Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Damron

Quote from: Eclipse on June 17, 2016, 08:11:24 PM
Is that silver or white thread?  I didn't see silver offered by the eBay vendor you said you used.

I requested light silver thread from the eBay vendor.  I'll try to take a better pic. 

vorteks

Quote from: Damron on June 17, 2016, 07:24:24 PM
I mentioned in another thread that nobody cared enough to describe "dark blue" in terms of RGB, CYMK, or Pantone references.

Navy Blue is a bit darker than Dark Blue in the W3C RGB standard.  It will be interesting to see if Vanguard will have a Dark Blue or actually use their current Navy Blue.

That said, a few laundry cycles will have the Navy Blue lighten up a bit.  A bit too dark is better than a bit too light on the BDU.   The opposite is likely with the ABU.    If there is a dramatic difference, I'll replace with Vanguard's tapes.   Ten bucks wasted is not going to sink me.

The ABU memo indicates "dark blue" and so does Vanguard. Sorry, but the ones you got seem a wee bit too dark to me. That said, navy blue is a dark shade of blue, so you're within the regs apparently.