Jump Start- ABU Name Tapes, AF Occupational Badges, CAP Specialty Track Badges,

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, May 06, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

HandsomeWalt_USMC

New to the forum, former C/MSgt and USMC Veteran. Considering getting back involved with CAP. I have Naval Aircrew wings from my time in the Corps. If I had a set made up for wear on BDUs/ABUs, would I have to have them embroidered in silver on dark blue, or would they be gold on dark blue as the wings proper are gold? Also, any of my fellow jarheads wear their old tricolor cammies with the EGA transfer on the pocket for CAP? I'd like to simply replace the tapes if possible and save the money on buying a full new set of BDUs. It's already going to be expensive obtaining blues.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

DakRadz

As much as I hate to say it for a symbol I understand is important to the Corp, I think you'd have to find a patch to cover the EGA if that is the only thing that is different. If there are other distinguishers, that may not work.

Try asking at the squadron you want to join. Often there is a supply room, even for seniors. Not all units have one, but better to ask!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Roger, Thanks. That is the only difference, they're just BDUs called by a different name. Are OD green upper jungle boots good to go? My Corcoran Marauders from my cadet days wore out awhile back, but I have jungle boots from my VN Era USMC impression (I teach USMC history).
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

arajca

Another negative.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Chap 55.1.1.7.  Footwear. Black socks and black combat boots are mandatory with this uniform.

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Tracking, thank you, sir. I'm picking up some new jump boots for work anyway so no big deal there. Anyone have an idea about the AC wings, gold or silver? If they're good to go in gold, I think one of the USCG ODU wings would fit the bill nicely.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on July 31, 2016, 01:29:19 AM
Tracking, thank you, sir. I'm picking up some new jump boots for work anyway so no big deal there. Anyone have an idea about the AC wings, gold or silver? If they're good to go in gold, I think one of the USCG ODU wings would fit the bill nicely.

This may not be the definitive answer (I don't have a cite for this), but nobody would expect you to get the metal version in silver. They are what they are. Changing the color makes them...not what they are.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Spam

I have two retired Marines in my unit, one officer who proudly wears his Wings of Gold - in GOLD, as awarded - above his Master GT badge on his BDUs and one SNCO. The NCO at least wears his old BDU pattern camouflage, with the unit patch over the USMC specific markings. I for one think that's a great thing, as it speaks to the fine Marine underneath the CAP member.

My feeling is to wear the award, as awarded.

V/R
Spam

NIN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 31, 2016, 08:26:54 AM

This may not be the definitive answer (I don't have a cite for this), but nobody would expect you to get the metal version in silver. They are what they are. Changing the color makes them...not what they are.

^^ This.

Silver is represented previously by white and now silver thread (badges and silver colored insignia such as 1st Lt, Captain, Lt Col, etc)

Gold is represented previously by a yellow-gold color (anybody got a Pantone reference on that?) and still by the same yellow-gold color (2nd Lt, Major).  Previously, if you were, say, a Naval Aviator, and got your wings reproduced on ultramarine blue fabric, they would have been in the "gold representative color" (whatever it is). I've seen it, looks sharp.  Nobody in their right mind would tell a Naval Aviator that he has to make his wings silver. There might be a fist fight over that :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Garibaldi

Quote from: NIN on July 31, 2016, 03:36:54 PM

^^ This.

Silver is represented previously by white and now silver thread (badges and silver colored insignia such as 1st Lt, Captain, Lt Col, etc)

Gold is represented previously by a yellow-gold color (anybody got a Pantone reference on that?) and still by the same yellow-gold color (2nd Lt, Major).  Previously, if you were, say, a Naval Aviator, and got your wings reproduced on ultramarine blue fabric, they would have been in the "gold representative color" (whatever it is). I've seen it, looks sharp.  Nobody in their right mind would tell a Naval Aviator that he has to make his wings silver. There might be a fist fight over that :)

At our SAREX yesterday one of the members had AF wings and jump wings in the new colors, and he claims that Vanguard is selling them. I couldn't honestly tell if there was a difference in low or high light, but for what it's worth that's what he told me.

Well, whattayaknow? https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/aviation-cloth
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Outstanding. Thank you, gentlemen. I was honestly dreading having to get them made up in silver. Like was said, that would make them not what they are! I might still have one of the old MAWG GSAR patches from the early 2000s kicking around somewhere to cover up my Eagle, Globe and Anchor.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

GaryVC

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 31, 2016, 04:24:39 PM
Quote from: NIN on July 31, 2016, 03:36:54 PM

^^ This.

At our SAREX yesterday one of the members had AF wings and jump wings in the new colors, and he claims that Vanguard is selling them. I couldn't honestly tell if there was a difference in low or high light, but for what it's worth that's what he told me.

Well, whattayaknow? https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/aviation-cloth

Pilot and jump wings but not the other aviation badges or occupational badges.

stillamarine

Back when I first joined back up I had my naval parachutist wings made up in the white on blue. When I bought a new set of BDUs I didn't put them back on. Don't wear them on my blues anymore either. I'm proud of my gold wings but I'm not jumping out of any planes anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com