Mess dress uniform

Started by MRO4LIFE, January 31, 2016, 11:31:33 PM

Storm Chaser

Quote from: SarDragon on February 29, 2016, 09:22:32 PM
Actually, service members get an annual clothing maintenance allowance, which is, in theory, enough to replace worn out items at the end of their rated service life.

Officers don't get that clothing allowance.

lordmonar

Quote from: NIN on March 01, 2016, 05:01:23 PM
Plus, I like my jingle-jangles.
"I've got clothes that Jingle jangle jingle"
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 06:47:12 PM

And now that'll be in my head for the rest of the day. Thanks.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

lordmonar

Quote from: THRAWN on March 01, 2016, 06:48:02 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 06:47:12 PM

And now that'll be in my head for the rest of the day. Thanks.
I live to serve.  :)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: NIN on March 01, 2016, 02:54:07 PM
Quote from: Goblin on March 01, 2016, 01:32:27 AM
You're implication is that you would attend events for the sole purpose of wearing mess dress.

If you weren't interested in the event before, and now want to go just to "dress up," then you're wrong.

Hey, man, you pay enough for the darn thing, better get some wear out of it.

If you attend events that require formal dress more than twice a year, then mess dress is worthwhile getting. I bought myself a tux when I found myself attending more than just a couple of Masonic formal events a year; some lodges require their line officers to wear formal dress for degrees and officer installations.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Quote from: Storm Chaser on March 01, 2016, 06:32:01 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 29, 2016, 09:22:32 PM
Actually, service members get an annual clothing maintenance allowance, which is, in theory, enough to replace worn out items at the end of their rated service life.

Officers don't get that clothing allowance.

True. Officers only get the initial issue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

And I don't think that officers get an initial issue either.   I think they get an advance on their pay to purchase the required uniforms....but they don't get an allowance for it.  Enlisted do though. 

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/2016ClothingAllowance.html

goblin

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 11:13:33 PM
And I don't think that officers get an initial issue either.   I think they get an advance on their pay to purchase the required uniforms....but they don't get an allowance for it.  Enlisted do though. 

http://www.dfas.mil/militarymembers/payentitlements/2016ClothingAllowance.html

I seem to remember getting one, but that was a good few years ago.

USACAP

Trolls make forums FUN.
:clap:   :clap:   :clap:   :clap:
Quote from: slimshady on February 29, 2016, 01:12:30 PM
Yea it would be nice if the Air Force would just pay for our uniforms but of course they don't.

MSG Mac

Officer's get a one time allowance to buy their initial uniforms, after that it's an out of pocket expense.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

slimshady

For all the people that think I'm crazy for wanting changes to cap, I'm very happy about a email I got from the chairman of the national cap uniform committee that says we are seeking approval from the AIr Force for ABU'S.

Storm Chaser

We all want positive changes to CAP. But how go about them makes all the difference in the world.

goblin

Quote from: slimshady on March 03, 2016, 11:45:00 PM
For all the people that think I'm crazy for wanting changes to cap, I'm very happy about a email I got from the chairman of the national cap uniform committee that says we are seeking approval from the AIr Force for ABU'S.

You did it!

slimshady

Chappie

"Daddy shot a bear, but we killed it"
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

slimshady

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MSG Mac on March 02, 2016, 05:37:35 PM
Officer's get a one time allowance to buy their initial uniforms, after that it's an out of pocket expense.

Correct. OCS, we had to buy our uniform. We had an initial clothing allowance, but it really wasn't enough to cover everything. We were issued PTs (two pairs of shorts, sweats, two long-sleeve shirts, three short sleeves, and two hoodies, plus the glow belt), NWUs (3 sets), Khakis (I think one set...I don't recall), Dress Blues (one set), Dress Whites (one set), and all of the accessories (including winter coat and zip-up nylon, socks, gloves, etc.--I believe we had to pay for our NDS ribbons, too--like $3 a piece or something along those lines, and we needed three of them, I think). The big statement at the start was "If you don't pay your bill before graduation, you will not graduate until you pay, and you will not leave OTCN until you pay, whether you commission or not." It was like $3k, somewhere close to that; I can't remember off the top of my head. It was just a mound of uniform crap. We had to pay for our polishing kits, but I think our sea bags were covered along with our training materials (notebooks, etc.). We had to pay $9 for our haircuts, too, even if you went in with an already-shaved melon. And every time you needed a haircut during training, $9.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 07, 2016, 03:37:10 PM

Correct. OCS, we had to buy our uniform. We had an initial clothing allowance, but it really wasn't enough to cover everything. We were issued PTs (two pairs of shorts, sweats, two long-sleeve shirts, three short sleeves, and two hoodies, plus the glow belt), NWUs (3 sets), Khakis (I think one set...I don't recall), Dress Blues (one set), Dress Whites (one set), and all of the accessories (including winter coat and zip-up nylon, socks, gloves, etc.--I believe we had to pay for our NDS ribbons, too--like $3 a piece or something along those lines, and we needed three of them, I think). The big statement at the start was "If you don't pay your bill before graduation, you will not graduate until you pay, and you will not leave OTCN until you pay, whether you commission or not." It was like $3k, somewhere close to that; I can't remember off the top of my head. It was just a mound of uniform crap. We had to pay for our polishing kits, but I think our sea bags were covered along with our training materials (notebooks, etc.). We had to pay $9 for our haircuts, too, even if you went in with an already-shaved melon. And every time you needed a haircut during training, $9.

The joys of the private sector doing it better than the government.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 07, 2016, 04:13:04 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 07, 2016, 03:37:10 PM

The joys of the private sector doing it better than the government.

With the exception of an open market to compete for new uniforms

#VanguardParty
#ExchangeThis