Mess dress uniform

Started by MRO4LIFE, January 31, 2016, 11:31:33 PM

MRO4LIFE

I was just curious if cadets were allowed to wear the mess dress uniform.

Гугл переводчик

From 39-1:

4.1.1. Men's Mess Dress Uniform (Figure 4.1). This USAF-style uniform may only be worn by
officers and NCOs; it will not be worn by members without rank or cadets.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Toth

Cadets generally wear the semi-formal uniform when SMs wear the mess dress
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

AlphaSigOU

It's been explained by chapter and verse of CAPM 39-1 above. It's a very expensive uniform to obtain for cadets, if it were allowed for wear. As it is for a senior member, if you include the uniform, tailoring and the addition of insignia and miniature medals it runs close to $500 to properly outfit a mess dress uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 01, 2016, 09:07:31 AM
It's been explained by chapter and verse of CAPM 39-1 above. It's a very expensive uniform to obtain for cadets, if it were allowed for wear. As it is for a senior member, if you include the uniform, tailoring and the addition of insignia and miniature medals it runs close to $500 to properly outfit a mess dress uniform.
^What he said^.

That's why such a uniform is not and never will be on my shopping list!

Garibaldi

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on February 01, 2016, 03:05:16 PM
^What he said^.

That's why such a uniform is not and never will be on my shopping list!

Cheaper to rent a tuxedo. No bling, but much cheaper. And unless you're on wing or region staff, or attend a lot of formal events, you won't use the mess dress often enough to justify the cost. I can count on one hand the number of times I've been somewhere I needed either a tux or the mess dress. Less than 3.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Chappie

Several years ago I was able to purchase a used but in great shape Mess Dress Uniform on eBay for $60.00.  Yes, all the accessories/bling to add up but still it was a bargain as I wear it 3-4 times a year.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

slimshady

Very expensive for such rare as the occasion to wear it.

SarDragon

Quote from: slimshady on February 27, 2016, 08:07:18 PM
Different strokes for different folks. If I were allowed to wear the AF-STYLE uniform, I would probably spring for the mess dress, and find occasions to wear it. My barbateness precludes such action.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N6RVT

I have yet to attend an event where more than about 5% of the members attending had the uniform.  If it were more common I would get one, but as it is that $25 blazer with the $5 clip on bow tie works just fine.

goblin

Quote from: SarDragon on February 28, 2016, 03:44:41 AM
Quote from: slimshady on February 27, 2016, 08:07:18 PM
Different strokes for different folks. If I were allowed to wear the AF-STYLE uniform, I would probably spring for the mess dress, and find occasions to wear it. My barbateness precludes such action.

If you're "finding" reasons to wear mess dress you're wrong.

Storm Chaser

It's a tough proposition. The CAP shoulder boards, medals, and seal alone can cost over $200. And that doesn't include the uniform per se.

slimshady

Yea it would be nice if the Air Force would just pay for our uniforms but of course they don't.

abdsp51

Quote from: slimshady on February 29, 2016, 01:12:30 PM
Yea it would be nice if the Air Force would just pay for our uniforms but of course they don't.

You do know even AF members pay for their uniforms right?  Your me generation sense of entitlement is a trip.

LSThiker

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 29, 2016, 02:05:13 PM

You do know even AF members pay for their uniforms right?  Your me generation sense of entitlement is a trip.

Shhh.  Do not use facts.

Yes, I hated the fact that I had to spend a few hundred dollars on BDUs to only have to spend a few hundred dollars more on ACUs not long after that.  Then spend a few hundred dollars on my Class A uniform to only spend an additional few hundred dollars more for the new Army Service Uniform.   

NIN

Quote from: LSThiker on February 29, 2016, 02:28:49 PM
Shhh.  Do not use facts.

Yes, I hated the fact that I had to spend a few hundred dollars on BDUs to only have to spend a few hundred dollars more on ACUs not long after that.  Then spend a few hundred dollars on my Class A uniform to only spend an additional few hundred dollars more for the new Army Service Uniform.   

Over the years I spent a *lot* of dough on CAP uniforms.  You know, collected them piece-by-piece: Mess dress, overcoats, service coats, sweaters, lightweight jacket, goretex, flight jackets, etc.  As needed and not in a hurry (like from 1989 to 2009). With the various changes in the middle (service coat, BDUs, etc)

In 2006, I got into the Army Cadets, and had to get all my stuff pretty much immediately *bam* holy smokes is this Army stuff is expensive.  Class As, Dress Blues (before ASU was a thing), ACUs, boots, berets, rigger belts, goretex, blah, blah, blah.  The expectation level in that organization was *considerably* different there in terms of how you equip yourself: You're an officer, officers are expected to have these uniforms.  Make it happen.

In 2009 I retired from CAP and jettisoned all but my G/W and blazer.  2013, I left the Army Cadets and jettisoned all my dress uniforms for a song and a dance.

In 2013, I un-retired from CAP.  And cursed my jettison of my uniforms in 2009.  But over three years, I've managed to slowly re-equip myself with the necessary bits without going overboard.   Mess dress is still stupidly expensive for the number of times a year most people wear it, but now I'm going to more conferences so, you know, it works out. :)

I held off on BDUs initially because "ABUs was right around the corner" and I knew my luck would be that I'd buy a new set of BDUs, stitch up the insignia and the next day ABUs would be announced.  Good thing I didn't hold my breath on that one :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: NIN on February 29, 2016, 03:43:06 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on February 29, 2016, 02:28:49 PM
Shhh.  Do not use facts.

Over the years I spent a *lot* of dough on CAP uniforms.  You know, collected them piece-by-piece: Mess dress, overcoats, service coats, sweaters, lightweight jacket, goretex, flight jackets, etc.  As needed and not in a hurry (like from 1989 to 2009). With the various changes in the middle (service coat, BDUs, etc)

In 2006, I got into the Army Cadets, and had to get all my stuff pretty much immediately *bam* holy smokes is this Army stuff is expensive.  Class As, Dress Blues (before ASU was a thing), ACUs, boots, berets, rigger belts, goretex, blah, blah, blah.  The expectation level in that organization was *considerably* different there in terms of how you equip yourself: You're an officer, officers are expected to have these uniforms.  Make it happen.

In 2009 I retired from CAP and jettisoned all but my G/W and blazer.  2013, I left the Army Cadets and jettisoned all my dress uniforms for a song and a dance.

In 2013, I un-retired from CAP.  And cursed my jettison of my uniforms in 2009.  But over three years, I've managed to slowly re-equip myself with the necessary bits without going overboard.   Mess dress is still stupidly expensive for the number of times a year most people wear it, but now I'm going to more conferences so, you know, it works out. :)

I held off on BDUs initially because "ABUs was right around the corner" and I knew my luck would be that I'd buy a new set of BDUs, stitch up the insignia and the next day ABUs would be announced.  Good thing I didn't hold my breath on that one :)

So if we put together a fund to get you into BDUs, that will guarantee a speedy conversion to ABUs? :D

Storm Chaser

Why would the Air Force pay for a mess dress, which is an optional uniform? In fact, all of our AF-style uniforms are optional. The Aviator shirt uniform, which is the only required uniform unless you have and qualify to wear the AF-style short sleeve service uniform, is not that expensive.

ColonelJack

Of course they don't.  Why in the world would they?  Airmen have to buy their own uniforms too, you know.  (Unless you count initial clothing issue during BMT ... say, there's an idea.  Why not join the Air Force?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ColonelJack

Is the Army Cadets organization even still around?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia