Loss of USAF uniforms

Started by goblin, May 25, 2015, 05:44:42 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on June 02, 2015, 07:02:59 AM
From what I've gathered in this entire thread is that a significant amount of the membership in CAP are quite happy with the two-tiered system, and as long as they are allowed to wear the AF-style uniform and the fat-and-fuzzies aren't, well, all the better.
"quite happy" may be too strong of a word.   Maybe "resigned to" or "accept as an unhappy compromise" would be better.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

Quote from: SarDragon on June 02, 2015, 03:26:47 AM
CAP membership in and of itself is a privilege. Wearing the uniform is a part of that privilege. I, by personal choice, must wear corporate uniforms, and am comfortable with the situation. I'd like to have a classier looking dress uniform, and the opportunity to wear my Navy ribbons, but neither is a deal killer for maintaining my membership, which totals 45 years at this time.

I know I'm going out on a limb, however I will venture to say this is probably the majority opinion of the membership on the subject...

Panache

Here's the thing:

My opinion is that we should get rid of the two-tiered multiform approach.  Obviously, there's some contention on that point.

But, honestly, I would be happy if we just fix the Corporate uniform:  It's god-awful ugly.

The CSU isn't coming back.  That's a given.

Easiest, quickest improvement:  change the color of the shirt.  White is not a good choice.  White tends to emphasize the weight of our more rotund members.  Also, it seems far too easy to "see through" a white shirt to the undergarments worn underneath.  It shows dirt very easily.  It just looks sloppy.

What color to change the shirt to?  Anything but white.  I prefer royal blue.  I think it looks sharp and gives us a connection to the AF.  Alternatively, khaki (in a shirt made with modern permanent-press fabric) as a homage to our history with the Army Air Corps.  But, again, anything other than white.

Second easy improvement: authorize an (optional) differently-colored flight cap.  Wearing a baseball cap with a uniform is just cheesy.

Third improvement, but not so easy (or cheap): authorize an (optional) service coat that is the same color as the flight cap and authorize the wear of CAP awards and ribbons with it. 

I think these three changes will go a long way, and they're not unreasonable.

SeanM

Quote from: Panache on June 02, 2015, 10:47:51 AM
Here's the thing:

My opinion is that we should get rid of the two-tiered multiform approach.  Obviously, there's some contention on that point.

But, honestly, I would be happy if we just fix the Corporate uniform:  It's god-awful ugly.

The CSU isn't coming back.  That's a given.

Easiest, quickest improvement:  change the color of the shirt.  White is not a good choice.  White tends to emphasize the weight of our more rotund members.  Also, it seems far too easy to "see through" a white shirt to the undergarments worn underneath.  It shows dirt very easily.  It just looks sloppy.

What color to change the shirt to?  Anything but white.  I prefer royal blue.  I think it looks sharp and gives us a connection to the AF.  Alternatively, khaki (in a shirt made with modern permanent-press fabric) as a homage to our history with the Army Air Corps.  But, again, anything other than white.

Second easy improvement: authorize an (optional) differently-colored flight cap.  Wearing a baseball cap with a uniform is just cheesy.

Third improvement, but not so easy (or cheap): authorize an (optional) service coat that is the same color as the flight cap and authorize the wear of CAP awards and ribbons with it. 

I think these three changes will go a long way, and they're not unreasonable.

This seems like a reasonable solution.  While I personally like the AF style uniform and wear it as my "standard" one, I don't see the corporate uniforms as second class at all.  Rather, I agree that having two sets of uniforms makes things anything BUT "uniform."  So we have one style for everyone and stick with it.

Regardless, I didn't join CAP for the uniform, and I will wear whatever is authorized.  I just personally wish we were more "uniform" with our uniforms.

Sean
Sean McClanahan, Lt Col, CAP
Squadron Commander, Delaware Legislative Squadron
Director of Emergency Services - Delaware Wing

Checotah

I have seen this topic discussion several times, even joined in a time or two, only to be "trounced" by some frequent posters.  However, I still believe in the purpose of allowing input, howsoever received.

Just an input from our local unit, FWIW.  We are in a rather remote (in terms of population and military bases).  The only active military base is an Army chemical storage base about 300 miles from here, and a National Guard training base about 70 miles from.  Not exactly DOD central.  Further, the local community is much more jeans and T-shirts than shirts and ties, so uniforms are not particularly in favor.  All that is simply background to local mind-set.

Our local unit is a composite squadron, actually the largest and most active in our Wing.  Our cadet program, and the seniors working it, wear the AF uniforms properly and proudly.  Any change there would likely hurt the program.

The rest of the unit (Seniors) are members because they believe in the missions, ES in particular.  Most common uniform to that group is the Polo combination.  A few wear the AF uniform.  None have mess dress.  To these folks, fulfillment of the mission is important; uniforms are only a means towards that end.  I doubt that anyone even pay attention to slack color.  Most would likely do what they do without uniforms.

None of this is to diminish the uniform or its importance in the overall program.  I just want to point out that, for us, the uniform issue is secondary to mission accomplishment.  Few join or stay for the uniform, outside the CP.  I know that is not true for many others, and I certainly do not want to belittle that import.  Just want to give feedback from our little field.
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

ironputts

I have enjoyed being a part of Civil Air Patrol since I joined in the early 90's. I was currently an active duty warrant officer and I saw so much passion when I went to my local squadron. I saw adults who cared about training young people and young people wanting to be a part of something bigger than them. I saw other adults who care about flying and those missions associated with that endeavor. I also observed teams of SAR members training with equipment to find aircraft and they actually went on missions on a regular basis. There were also members that did little to nothing but seemed happy to be just there. Today, that same passion is there though some of the missions have changed or modernized. Of course there were discussions of the various uniforms we wore and our relationship with the Air Force.  Most people felt like all of you now. Some people stayed and other's left because of those feelings. It is about choice and what is really important. I chose to stay with CAP even after leaving the Army. I stayed for the cadets and our nation's future. That is my mission to help young people learn the values this organization aspires to.
I remember putting my cherry boards on and thought this is quite obvious in its intent. We are a part of the Air Force but we are different. We are not military but civilians wearing military type uniforms. Like most organizations there are rules and we are being asked to follow them. CAP administration has tried to accommodate everyone, hence the multiple uniforms. All those uniforms cost money and then we change them. So that affects our passion and it gets redirected from our real missions. That is too bad since we are such a great organization. I hope all these changes to our CAP governing body and the effects of the national budget and emerging technologies will lessen our passion and those that keep CAP going. In comparison to this uniform discussion, I find that much more important.
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Chappie

I, for one, own most every uniform that CAP authorizes....and I wear each one proudly since it provides identification with the USAF and with the best group of individuals I have had the privilege of knowing and serving with -- the members of CAP.  It is always been my practice at either a CCRSC or a NSC which I have staffed to wear both the USAF-Style and the White/Grey Corporate uniforms.  Depending on the situation or setting I will also alternate between the Blazer Combo or the Serviced Dress.  I am fully aware of the angst many senior members feel regarding not being able to have a good looking uniform .... but I have never viewed them as "second class citizens".  Each volunteer member of CAP contributes greatly to the missions and the success of this organization -- and for that I am appreciative.   
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

TarRiverRat

I wear the corporate uniforms.  I like the blue bdus and the blue flight suit and utility uniform as well as the polo with gray slacks or tacticals.  I extremely dislike the white aviator shirts.  Hard to keep clean, can see the tee shirt underneath, no proper hat choices for it, and I do not see any connection to the Air Force with this shirt.  I don't mind the Blazer combo that much but still not proper hat for it when needed.  I refuse to wear a baseball cap with the aviator and the blazer.  Does not look proper and does not show a good image in my opinion.  They say the medium gray pants is for ease of acquirement and low cost.  I have not seen that yet.  I still have to order my trousers on-line.  Most stores do not cater to people above a 44 waist line.  I wear 48 in my trousers.  I have a problem with weight due to current health problems.  I am losing weight but doubt I will ever be down far enough to wear the AF style uniform.  In the USCG Aux, they did not have problems with us fat and fuzzies wearing their uniform and we did not worry about grade or rank.  We were treated like active duty.  I will still do my job in CAP no matter what uniform I wear.  I do tend to lean towards the polo primarily because I just don't believe the white aviator is the best look for us, but will wear it when needed and I wear it properly and still with pride.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

foo

Quote from: TarRiverRat on June 06, 2015, 03:28:05 AM
...  I refuse to wear a baseball cap with the aviator and the blazer....

Incidentally, which baseball cap(s) can be worn with the aviator and polo shirt combos? CAPM 39-1 makes several references to "the CAP baseball cap," but what is that? Vanguard has two or three that say "Approved for wear by Civil Air Patrol members with the utility uniform and blue field uniform."

Shuman 14

Somewhere way back in this thread someone said it shouldn't matter what you wear but the quality of work provided. That's true, to a certain extent, but you can't man the CAP liaison desk in an EOC in a rude dog t-shirt, jorts and flip-flops. It doesn't matter how professional you are at your job, your peers from other agencies and the public at large will not take you seriously if you look unprofessional.

I'd also like to point out that if some of the "fixes" proposed here for the corporate uniform were implemented it would actually make the problem worse.

If you create a flight cap and service coat in corporate grey you are going to create even more multi-forms and more than fifty shades of grey that will be even more obvious when "that guy" (and we all know "that guy") shows up in his Walmart special pants  and his newly authorized grey service coat and cap.

Then the solution to the newly created problem is mandate a matching pair of grey service trousers, which causes wailing and gnashing of teeth because "that guy" can't wear his threadbare grey slacks that he from Montgomery Wards two decades ago anymore.

No matter how you cut this pie, someone is gonna get butt-hurt over something (can't wear: AF blue, cheap pants, favorite shade of grey, etc.).

I would submit to you that CAP is the only organization that lets this problem continue. Numerous volunteer agencies exist that dictate what and how their members wear their authorized uniform.

Example, the Anytown Police Department has an unpaid, volunteer Police Reserve. The paid, fulltime Police Officers wears a solid navy blue uniform, the Reserve Officers wear a grey shirt and navy pants. Both uniforms have regulations that dictate make, model, color shade for both shirts and pants.

If you want to be a Reserve Office in Anytown... you buy the shirt and pants they tell you to wear and nothing else. Show up in Walmart special navy pants and you will get sent home; show up a second time in them, they tell you don't come back ever again.

Did a APD Reserve member get butt-hurt because he can't wear cheap pants - yes.
Did anyone at APD lose sleep over it - no.

So why the angst in CAP?

Fix the problem and let those who fall out, fall out. I suspect CAP will be better for it.

As I've always said, do away with the USAF-style and corporate greys and adopt one corporate uniform for all senior members of CAP.

Current Blue Flightsuit become the sole flying uniform.
Current Blue BDUs become the sole field uniform.
Current Blue polo shirt and khaki trousers (see below) become the sole business casual uniform.

Adopt a modern silver/tan khaki corporate service uniform to replace the USAF-style and corporate grey uniforms.

From top to bottom:

Current common Military low-quarter shoes are the only authorized footwear.

Trousers will be cut in style and fabric to the specifications of the current USAF 1620 trousers but in silver/tan khaki.

Belt will be the current USAF blue with silver buckle shade 1620 belt.

Shirts, both long and short sleeves, will be cut in style and fabric to the specifications of the current USAF  1550 shirts but in silver/tan khaki.

Necktie will be the USAF herringbone tie in shade 1620.

Epaulet slides will be in shade 1620 with embroidered rank and "C.A.P.".

The service coat will be in a matching silver/tan khaki  to the trouser and shirts it will be cut in the style of the old 1549 coat (ie the Tony Nelson coat) or in the new "Hap Arnold Heritage Coat" style. Shirt epaulet slides in shade 1620 to be worn on the coat as well.

Flight and Service caps will be the current USAF shade 1620 will be worn with CAP insignia devices.

Authorize the wear of former Military service decorations and/or badges on the Khaki uniform, Blue BDUs and Flightsuit.

Done, corporate uniform distinct and different from the USAF... BUT... with enough USAF features and flashes of "Air Force Blue" to clearly mark the USAF Auxiliary of CAP and the links to CAP's past in USAAC/USAAF khaki.

Like the Army did with the new ACU transition, give the membership  four (4) full years to transition from the current USAF style and corporate greys to the new corporate Khaki uniform.

If membership leaves because of cost, loss of USAF style, whatever, so be it. Readjust fire and move on with the mission in one CAP distinctive uniform.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

For a guy who is just a Patron Member who is not even authorized to wear any CAP uniform, you sure have a lot to say about our uniforms.
So what's your angle, cuz' as far as I can tell, you have no dog in this fight.

goblin

Quote from: shuman14 on June 07, 2015, 01:47:11 PM
Somewhere way back in this thread someone said it shouldn't matter what you wear but the quality of work provided. That's true, to a certain extent, but you can't man the CAP liaison desk in an EOC in a rude dog t-shirt, jorts and flip-flops. It doesn't matter how professional you are at your job, your peers from other agencies and the public at large will not take you seriously if you look unprofessional.

I'd also like to point out that if some of the "fixes" proposed here for the corporate uniform were implemented it would actually make the problem worse.

If you create a flight cap and service coat in corporate grey you are going to create even more multi-forms and more than fifty shades of grey that will be even more obvious when "that guy" (and we all know "that guy") shows up in his Walmart special pants  and his newly authorized grey service coat and cap.

Then the solution to the newly created problem is mandate a matching pair of grey service trousers, which causes wailing and gnashing of teeth because "that guy" can't wear his threadbare grey slacks that he from Montgomery Wards two decades ago anymore.

No matter how you cut this pie, someone is gonna get butt-hurt over something (can't wear: AF blue, cheap pants, favorite shade of grey, etc.).

I would submit to you that CAP is the only organization that lets this problem continue. Numerous volunteer agencies exist that dictate what and how their members wear their authorized uniform.

Example, the Anytown Police Department has an unpaid, volunteer Police Reserve. The paid, fulltime Police Officers wears a solid navy blue uniform, the Reserve Officers wear a grey shirt and navy pants. Both uniforms have regulations that dictate make, model, color shade for both shirts and pants.

If you want to be a Reserve Office in Anytown... you buy the shirt and pants they tell you to wear and nothing else. Show up in Walmart special navy pants and you will get sent home; show up a second time in them, they tell you don't come back ever again.

So why the angst in CAP?

Fix the problem and let those who fall out, fall out. I suspect CAP will be better for it.

As I've always said, do away with the USAF-style and corporate greys and adopt one corporate uniform for all senior members of CAP.

Current Blue polo shirt and khaki trousers (see below) become the sole business casual uniform.

Adopt a modern silver/tan khaki corporate service uniform to replace the USAF-style and corporate grey uniforms.

From top to bottom:

Trousers will be cut in style and fabric to the specifications of the current USAF 1620 trousers but in silver/tan khaki.

Shirts, both long and short sleeves, will be cut in style and fabric to the specifications of the current USAF  1550 shirts but in silver/tan khaki.

The service coat will be in a matching silver/tan khaki  to the trouser and shirts it will be cut in the style of the old 1549 coat (ie the Tony Nelson coat) or in the new "Hap Arnold Heritage Coat" style. Shirt epaulet slides in shade 1620 to be worn on the coat as well.

Flight and Service caps will be the current USAF shade 1620 will be worn with CAP insignia devices.

Authorize the wear of former Military service decorations and/or badges on the Khaki uniform, Blue BDUs and Flightsuit.

Done, corporate uniform distinct and different from the USAF... BUT... with enough USAF features and flashes of "Air Force Blue" to clearly mark the USAF Auxiliary of CAP and the links to CAP's past in USAAC/USAAF khaki.

Like the Army did with the new ACU transition, give the membership  four (4) full years to transition from the current USAF style and corporate greys to the new corporate Khaki uniform.

If membership leaves because of cost, loss of USAF style, whatever, so be it. Readjust fire and move on with the mission in one CAP distinctive uniform.

This

goblin

Quote from: PHall on June 07, 2015, 02:22:48 PM
For a guy who is just a Patron Member who is not even authorized to wear any CAP uniform, you sure have a lot to say about our uniforms.

Copy.

Active member > Patron member

Shuman 14

Well, good question. I'm a patron member... now... because I don't have the time to be an active member. Between work, the Reserves, health problems with my spouse and a 8-month old at home there's no time for just about anything else.

But I know that won't always be the case and when my daughter is old enough, I will encourage her to become a cadet as CAP will be something we can do together. I also have friends who are longtime CAP members which will allow me to spend more time with them.

With that in mind, I have a vested interest in seeing one of the "big" issues in CAP solved before we (my daughter and I) get there.

Plus awards, decorations and uniform trivia are hobby of mine. If I can influence the outcome of the great CAP uniform debate from the patron member sideline... that be pretty cool in my mind.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

TarRiverRat

So why the angst in CAP?

From top to bottom:

I like it.  Will never happen, but I like it.  The khaki is part of our heritage and would be a lot better than the white and gray. 
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

Bobble

Quote from: shuman14 on June 07, 2015, 04:46:44 PM

Well, good question. I'm a patron member... now... because I don't have the time to be an active member. Between work, the Reserves, health problems with my spouse and a 8-month old at home there's no time for just about anything else.

But I know that won't always be the case and when my daughter is old enough, I will encourage her to become a cadet as CAP will be something we can do together. I also have friends who are longtime CAP members which will allow me to spend more time with them.

With that in mind, I have a vested interest in seeing one of the "big" issues in CAP solved before we (my daughter and I) get there.

Plus awards, decorations and uniform trivia are hobby of mine. If I can influence the outcome of the great CAP uniform debate from the patron member sideline... that be pretty cool in my mind.

I find it interesting that you (or anyone else) considers this a "big" issue.  Despite eleven pages of tail-chasing, overall I view this as a "swagger stick" type of issue -

http://designobserver.com/feature/best-management-memo/37923/

As I read through this thread and many other uniform threads, I ask myself whether any proposed change(s) will help me or anyone else I know perform CAP duties/tasks better, faster or with increased frequency.

As you've expressed, there's no doubt that you feel differently (despite your lack of functional experience within the organization).  At least you've given yourself plenty of time (about 9.5 years) to be an effective (albeit absent?) agent of change.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

abdsp51

He still hasn't figured out he's not taken seriously yet.

DoubleSecret

Big Blue has an undeniable interest in how USAF members look in the USAF uniform, and how CAP members look in the USAF-style uniform.  The average civilian doesn't know the difference, and sometimes sister service personnel don't know the difference.  Folks have reported being thanked for their service, receiving military discounts, and receiving military courtesies.

Big Blue enforces its interest in USAF personnel appearance in uniform, and has been known to demote and discharge enlisted personnel for being overweight.  Officers receive increasingly stern letters and can eventually be booted as well (but no demotion).

I say this as a retired enlisted member and current CAP officer who is still too fat to wear blues:  I'm fine with Big Blue's policy.  I'm not going to wait until I meet CAP standards (which are already generous), I'll wait until I'm significantly thinner.

A CAP officer in USAF-style uniform who falls far short of presenting a military appearance should consider whether he's serving Big Blue's best interests.

P.S.  The CAC thing will never happen.  Live in the now.

Panache

That happens now with the blue realtor-style blazer outfit.  I'm not sure I see a problem there.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Bobble on June 08, 2015, 02:42:24 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on June 07, 2015, 04:46:44 PM

I find it interesting that you (or anyone else) considers this a "big" issue.  Despite eleven pages of tail-chasing, overall I view this as a "swagger stick" type of issue -

http://designobserver.com/feature/best-management-memo/37923/

As I read through this thread and many other uniform threads, I ask myself whether any proposed change(s) will help me or anyone else I know perform CAP duties/tasks better, faster or with increased frequency.

As you've expressed, there's no doubt that you feel differently (despite your lack of functional experience within the organization).  At least you've given yourself plenty of time (about 9.5 years) to be an effective (albeit absent?) agent of change.

I get your point, but uniforms change with time... the USAF wears a uniform much different from the one it wore when it was the USAAC/USAAF.

Look at the simple change from 1549s to McPeak to the current 1620... didn't really change the effectiveness of the USAF (or CAP) in anyway, but it happened.

BTW, I own a swagger stick, it's walnut with a .50 cal casing as the handle/knob and a 7.62 round and casing as the tip.

I'm old school, so when I am giving a briefing that would require a pointer, I use my swagger stick. I've occasionally carried it to formal functions when I'm not wearing a sword belt and sabre. I get "looks" but hey, I just got to be me.  8)

If the Army is ever dumb enough to promote me to LTC, I'll carry it everyday. Colonels, of all stripes, are allowed to be eccentric.  ;D
Joseph J. Clune