Non-Doctor & Non-Nurse Medical Personnel

Started by supertigerCH, February 23, 2015, 12:57:51 AM

Capt Thompson

Could the big V have some sort of software program on their website, where members could go ahead and create their own badges? That way everyone could have whatever they want, and we can all be winners? For instance, a photographer could have a camera with wings.....a fast food employee could have a burger....with wings? Anything created in this special software would be automatically approved in 39-1, and the new series of badges would comply with the 5th Core Value, Creativity!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Майор Хаткевич

I've got my artwork ready. Just waiting on the badge:

Capt Thompson

Capt Matt Thompson

Майор Хаткевич

Capt Thompson

My boss doesn't understand why I'm laughing so hard :) :) :)
Capt Matt Thompson

Cliff_Chambliss

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

CadetSnuffy

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 23, 2015, 02:48:28 PM
Could the big V have some sort of software program on their website, where members could go ahead and create their own badges? That way everyone could have whatever they want, and we can all be winners? For instance, a photographer could have a camera with wings.....a fast food employee could have a burger....with wings? Anything created in this special software would be automatically approved in 39-1, and the new series of badges would comply with the 5th Core Value, Creativity!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
If it were that simple, we would all be celebrating. It took our squadron almost 2 years to get our patch approved.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on February 23, 2015, 05:44:21 PM
Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 23, 2015, 02:48:28 PM

Sorry, couldn't resist.
If it were that simple, we would all be celebrating. It took our squadron almost 2 years to get our patch approved.

Has nothing to do with 39-1.

CadetSnuffy

There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Eclipse

Your squadron patch's lengthy approval duration has nothing to do with 39-1 or VG.

That was a local wing issue. 

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on February 23, 2015, 05:52:48 PM
Your squadron patch's lengthy approval duration has nothing to do with 39-1 or VG.

Or a squadron issue.  My wing requires all squadron emblem approvals to be first routed through and recommended by the Wing Historian before approval by Wing Commander.  I reject any emblem that does not follow USAF heraldry rules.  It took 6 months for the last squadron to make the appropriate changes for me to forward the approval recommendation to the Wing Commander.

Майор Хаткевич

Pretty much. No full story, so hold up could be squadron, group, wing, etc.

arajca

Quote from: LSThiker on February 23, 2015, 06:36:30 PM
I reject any emblem that does not follow USAF heraldry rules. 
Personal preference or command authority granted?

Capt Thompson

10.7.8. Organizational Patch. Emblem approved by the wing commander for wear by subordinate unit (group, squadron, flight) personnel. Patches designed after the date of this manual will meet the intent of the USAF heraldic guidelines published by the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

From 39-1, quoted from CAP Knowledgebase
Capt Matt Thompson

LSThiker

Quote from: arajca on February 23, 2015, 07:59:14 PM
I reject any emblem that does not follow USAF heraldry rules. 
Personal preference or command authority granted?

Both. I talked it over with the wing commander, wrote the policy letter, got it signed by the Wing CC, created and gave a presentation to all squadron commanders, ensured distribution of the policy and presentation, and informed the CAC.

Then the new 39-1 was published and it solidified the rule.

JayT

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 23, 2015, 03:09:26 AM
So they may have the knowledge, but not the certification. Makes sense, thanks.

A CNA has little to no overlap with a paramedic. CNA'a can take vital signs, maybe preform (but not interpret) EKG's, maybe draw blood. They're the people who take your blood pressure at themail doctors office. Maybe they have some first aid training.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on February 23, 2015, 05:52:48 PM

Or a squadron issue.  My wing requires all squadron emblem approvals to be first routed through and recommended by the Wing Historian before approval by Wing Commander.  I reject any emblem that does not follow USAF heraldry rules.  It took 6 months for the last squadron to make the appropriate changes for me to forward the approval recommendation to the Wing Commander.

Good point. My pet peeve was Squadrons who want Group style unit patches because a Group patch (shield) is tacticool like "Top Gun" and the Squadron patch is not so much.   8)

supertigerCH

LSThinker,

Thanks for the history & advice about the medical badges (HSO program).  That clears up a lot... and really puts things in perspective.

SMThompson,

"Could the big V have some sort of software program on their website, where members could go ahead and create their own badges? That way everyone could have whatever they want, and we can all be winners?"

Ha!!  Funny... and yet also sad when you stop & think about how true that is nowdays.

AirAux

What would an optician or a lab tech wear, hmmmmm?

LSThiker

Quote from: AirAux on February 24, 2015, 05:40:55 PM
What would an optician or a lab tech wear, hmmmmm?

Are you asking about what I had proposed?  If so, they would wear the insignia with an "H" as I already described:

Quote from: LSThiker on February 23, 2015, 05:44:02 AM
That is, it should resemble the Medical Officer and the Nurse Officer badge, which I would propose the letter "H" instead of the tri-prop or "N" in the top of the staff.  As it stands now, CAP is unintentionally sending a message that CAP respects the training of Doctors, Nurses, and EMTs but does not recognize the training of other doctoral healthcare providers (DPT, DDS, PhD, AuD, OD, etc) and non-doctoral healthcare providers (PA-C, PA(ASCP), MLS, RD, MPT, etc).  This is especially true with the recent change to the EMT badge to recognize the different levels of EMTs. 

I think it would have been best to state "non-doctoral healthcare professionals" rather than providers.