can you put cap ribbons on military uniform

Started by cadet RAFT, SHAWN, January 15, 2015, 06:39:28 PM

cadet RAFT, SHAWN

i was curios about when i come out of basic training for the air force if i can wear CAP ribbons on my USAF uniform.  i know you can wear military ribbons on the CAP uniform but i don't know if it works the other way.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: cadet RAFT, SHAWN on January 15, 2015, 06:39:28 PM
i was curios about when i come out of basic training for the air force if i can wear CAP ribbons on my USAF uniform.  i know you can wear military ribbons on the CAP uniform but i don't know if it works the other way.

Ask your TI when you get to Lackland.

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Flying Pig

Flying Pig

OK that was mean..... No, you cant :'(  Dont worry though, when you get out of USAF basic, you'll have probably 9 ribbons anyway!

James Shaw

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2015, 06:57:15 PM
OK that was mean..... No, you cant :'(  Dont worry though, when you get out of USAF basic, you'll have probably 9 ribbons anyway!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 15, 2015, 06:42:20 PM

Now, that's just mean.

No, you can't wear CAP ribbons on an Air Force uniform. And do yourself a favor and DON'T ask your TI about it.  ;)

ColonelJack

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 15, 2015, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 15, 2015, 06:42:20 PM

Now, that's just mean.

No, you can't wear CAP ribbons on an Air Force uniform. And do yourself a favor and DON'T ask your TI about it.  ;)

Do yourself a bigger favor - don't ask your TI anything at Lackland.  In fact, try as hard as you can not to have your TI notice you at all.

Trust me.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

lordmonar

That can work both ways sometimes.

We were in out third week of training when the TI looked at one of the guys in the day room and said "Are you in my flight?"  From that moment on the TI was eye balling him every second and volun-telling him for everything that was "high profile".

Was pretty cool actually.   The guy actually ended up with an Honor Grad!   

:o
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DoubleSecret

Cadet,

Would you rather be the guy who knows things, or the guy who asks the guy who knows things?

If you ask us, you only know what we tell you.  If you look it up for yourself in the appropriate source, you're more in charge of your own fate.

I'll help you part of the way:  AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, would be your starting point.  I challenge you to review it and report back to the group.

Best wishes to you on your future USAF career,
A retired USAF MSgt and CAP Lt Col

The CyBorg is destroyed

Short answer: NO...just as members of the Army and Air National Guard cannot wear State ribbons on their uniforms when on Federal Active Duty.  A lot of Guard troops have two sets of ribbon racks.

Some State Defence Forces permit it.

Do NOT mention CAP to your MTI.  For whatever reason, MTI's tend to disdain CAP.  Mine made no secret of it...when he asked the Flight if anyone had JROTC experience, one recruit put his hand up and said "Sir, I have similar experience with the Civil Air Patrol..."  The MTI descended on him like a ton of bricks and screamed "I SAID JROTC!  I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE [farg]ING CIVIL AIR PATROL!"  He went on to make several disparaging statements about CAP.

As for keeping a low profile...I don't know that it's actually possible.  I am one who is normally able to almost-uncannily blend into the background but the MTI knew who I was quite easily.  I don't think anyone in my Flight escaped his wrath.

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 15, 2015, 06:57:15 PM

I've heard that new Airmen coming out of Lackland have a lot more ribbons these days.  Back in my day, when the Air Force uniform did not look like a business suit and there were still Buck Sergeants, it was possible to graduate with the NDSM, AF Training Ribbon, the Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon  and the Honour Grad Ribbon...most only got the NDSM and AF Training Ribbon.  I don't know what they can get now, though I have heard that some states have ribbons for those who have excelled in BMT, or for those who just graduate!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

BMTS, Honor Grad, Marksman, and National Defense what a basic comes out with now.....last time I checked.

They get the GWOT-S medal after 30 days of "operations"...but they passed this down to the MAJCOMs to control so they may be getting those as well.

When I was as basic in '86 (please note the date so everyone knows that my info may be dated) we only got BMTS, Marksmen, Honor grad

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Flying Pig

Quote from: lordmonar on January 15, 2015, 11:29:06 PM

When I was as basic in '86 (please note the date so everyone knows that my info may be dated) we only got BMTS, Marksmen, Honor grad

Teachers pet

LSThiker

Quote from: lordmonar on January 15, 2015, 11:29:06 PM
Honor grad

A ribbon that I am still surprised has not crossed into CAP.

After all, if the USAF awards a ribbon to its BMT honor graduates, then we should award a ribbon to our encampment honor grads. >:D

flyboy53

Quote from: DoubleSecret on January 15, 2015, 10:00:58 PM

Cadet,

Would you rather be the guy who knows things, or the guy who asks the guy who knows things?

If you ask us, you only know what we tell you.  If you look it up for yourself in the appropriate source, you're more in charge of your own fate.

I'll help you part of the way:  AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel, would be your starting point.  I challenge you to review it and report back to the group.

Best wishes to you on your future USAF career,
A retired USAF MSgt and CAP Lt Col

It's the same policy as with the National Guard (and CAP) where not even Guard ribbons are allowed to be worn on an active duty AF uniform.

However, granted the AFI, there are sometimes exceptions to policy. If the CAP award is a decoration of some sort, take the award elements to Base Personnel and see if it can be worn. That way, they will add it to your military records and records rip.

capmaj

I never understood the BMT ribbon. You have to have graduated Basic training to be wearing any ribbons...... so why is there a ribbon for it?

kwe1009

Quote from: capmaj on January 16, 2015, 01:57:57 PM
I never understood the BMT ribbon. You have to have graduated Basic training to be wearing any ribbons...... so why is there a ribbon for it?

I'm with you.  The military has a lot of ribbons like that.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: capmaj on January 16, 2015, 01:57:57 PM

You may enlist at a higher grade and get the commensurate pay and bennies, but you don't sport the stripes until BMTS graduation. The AFTR was created as a replacement for the NDSM since the latter medal is only awarded during periods of armed conflict. (Exception: service academy cadets can wear the NDSM from day one, even in 'peacetime' conditions.) Go back to ROTC/OTS/Academy and complete the training, you can add an oak leaf cluster to the AFTR.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

abdsp51

Quote from: flyboy53 on January 16, 2015, 01:09:43 PM
However, granted the AFI, there are sometimes exceptions to policy. If the CAP award is a decoration of some sort, take the award elements to Base Personnel and see if it can be worn. That way, they will add it to your military records and records rip.

Yeah no.  If it's not listed in the AFI it can't be worn.

LSThiker

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 16, 2015, 02:54:17 PM
(Exception: service academy cadets can wear the NDSM from day one, even in 'peacetime' conditions.)

Not correct.  Academy cadets can wear the NDSM only if they attend the academy during a period of inclusion:

Quote from: AR 600-8-22Cadets of the U.S. Military Academy are eligible for the NDSM, during any of the inclusive periods listed above,
upon completion of the swearing-in ceremonies as a cadet.

Even AFI 36-2803 agrees, but is a little less direct than the Army:

Quote6.10.1. The NDSM was established on 22 April 1953, and amended 11 January 1966, to recognize honorable active military service during periods of conflict or national crisis.

Members of the Armed Forces of the United States, to include the US Coast Guard, who are on Active Duty, members of the Selected Reserve in good standing, members of other than the Selected Reserve called to Active Duty, cadets in the USAF Academy, and USAF members who have completed USAF Basic Training are eligible for the medal. Ineligible members include ROTC cadets and members called to active duty for the sole purpose of undergoing a physical examination, for training only, or to serve on boards, courts, or commissions.

QuoteKorean Conflict
27 June 1950 - 27 July 1954
Vietnam Conflict
1 January 1961 - 14 August 1974
Operations DESERT SHIELD/STORM
2 August 1990 - 30 November 1995
Global War on Terrorism
11 September 2001 - Date to be Determined