Aircrew Wings Available

Started by pierson777, October 05, 2014, 11:04:29 PM

pierson777

I noticed that Vanguard now has the new Aircrew Wings: regular size, miniature size, and embroidered, but no bullion for mess dress.  There are no photos of the embroidered version yet.  There are photos of the metal ones.  I can't help but notice the difference between the star & wreath on the aircrew wings compared to those on all other wings.  The star and wreath on the aircrew wings are considerably smaller.  I guess the die is set now (literally), so this is how they'll be.  For the sake of consistency, I wish they had the same size star and wreath as the rest of the wings.

Майор Хаткевич

I personally like the AC version over the "rest" of them.

Storm Chaser

Regardless of size and preference, all CAP aeronautical wings need to be standardized. 

Eclipse

Standards stifle creativity.

CAP should use Etsy.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on October 06, 2014, 01:32:12 PM
Standards stifle creativity.

CAP should use Etsy.

I mean, we basically do already.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Papabird

<sarc>Forgive any ignorance on this, but what are the standards for this device?  Did the CAPR 35-6 change, I missed it? </sarc>

Sigh.
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

pierson777

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 06, 2014, 12:55:16 PM
Regardless of size and preference, all CAP aeronautical wings need to be standardized.
I totally agree.  There doesn't seem to be very strong oversight for standardization of the badges.  Similarly, the ground team badges lack consistency.  There are different shaped wreaths for the metal and embroidered, both of which are different than the images in the uniform manual.  I think the metal one is the only correct one, because it is the same shape as it ever was.  All the others were mistakes that were allowed to happen.  The EMT badges have the same differences.

The aerospace education badge and cadet programs badge have different colored stars to indicate the different ratings.  The stars on the on the cadet programs badge match those on the leadership ribbon, which makes logical sense to me.  In my opinion they got the stars wrong wrong on the aerospace education badges.

Why is it so hard to get these things standardized?

pierson777

Quote from: Papabird on October 06, 2014, 04:50:12 PM
<sarc>Forgive any ignorance on this, but what are the standards for this device?  Did the CAPR 35-6 change, I missed it? </sarc>

Sigh.
Before I answer, I have to know; does <sarc> mean sarcasm font?

Papabird

Quote from: pierson777 on October 06, 2014, 05:10:04 PM

Sigh.

Yes, it does.  But in all seriousness, has anyone heard what the quals MAY be for this, since 35-6 hasn't changed since 2002?
Georgia Wing

LSThiker

Quote from: pierson777 on October 06, 2014, 05:08:24 PM
The aerospace education badge and cadet programs badge have different colored stars to indicate the different ratings.  The stars on the on the cadet programs badge match those on the leadership ribbon, which makes logical sense to me.  In my opinion they got the stars wrong wrong on the aerospace education badges.

Why is it so hard to get these things standardized?

Interestingly, the 1997 Uniform Manual was different than what is today:

Cadet Programs:
Basic:  Blue Star
Senior:  Bronze Star
Master:  Gold Star

Aerospace:
Basic:  Silver Star
Senior:  Bronze Star
Master:  Gold Star

It was not until 2005 when the Cadet Programs badge turned the "master" star to Silver.  Why AE never made the switch is unknown to me.  But it is probably because the basic badge is made with Silver so it might be confusing (and cost) to switch the Silver from Basic to Master.  Why Cadet Programs decided to go to Silver is also unknown to me.

Capt_Redfox30

Quote from: Papabird on October 06, 2014, 05:49:58 PM
Quote from: pierson777 on October 06, 2014, 05:10:04 PM

Sigh.

Yes, it does.  But in all seriousness, has anyone heard what the quals MAY be for this, since 35-6 hasn't changed since 2002?

Mike, Are you talking about the aircrew wings?  I was in the first class to earn them at NESA this year, the requirements are anyone who is aircrew qualified, excluding observer and pilot.  Those ratings include

Mission Scanner
Airborne Photographer
GIEEP Operator
High-bird Radio Operator
A couple others I cant think of at the moment

The question was brought up to Lt. Colonel John Desmarais, he said the those individuals in the 39-1 Committee, decided to release the manual without consulting with any other committees who are in charge of the various regulations and manuals. 
Kirk Thirtyacre, Lt Col, CAP
(Acting) Group Commander
Group 3 HQ

JeffDG

Quote from: Capt_Redfox30 on October 06, 2014, 06:40:43 PM
The question was brought up to Lt. Colonel John Desmarais, he said the those individuals in the 39-1 Committee, decided to release the manual without consulting with any other committees who are in charge of the various regulations and manuals.

I'm SHOCKED, SHOCKED I say, that there was poor coordination.   >:D

Pylon

As one of "those individuals" at that time, I can say that is absolutely and wholly incorrect.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Further, so what? Now it's OPs' job to fix the regs.

So fix them, its been some 6 months.

"That Others May Zoom"

GrimReaper

Below is the criteria for the Aviation badge.  See CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual 26 June 2014, page 139 to see the badge.

Once the following criteria has been met, a CAPF 2a must also be completed to make you eligible to wear the badge once all of the requirements as listed below are complete.  The approval authority process requires the Aircrew Badge be submitted via CAPF 2a through the chain of command up to the Wing Commander for approval.

The Air crew badge is an aeronautical rating in three levels and may be earned by CAP Cadet and senior members who are qualified to perform specialized airborne tasks such as:

CAP Aircrew Rating
Mission Scanner (MS)
Aerial Digital Imaging System Operator (ADIS)
Airborne Photographer (AP)
ARCHER Operator (ARCHOPR)
ARCHER Trac Technician (ARCHTRK)
Geospatial Information Interoperability Exploitation Portable Operator (GIIEP)
Surrogate Unmanned Aerial System Green Flag Sensor Operator (GFSO)
Highbird Radio Operator (HRO)

CAP Senior Aircrew Rating: (basic badge with star)
1) Meet CAP aircrew rating requirements.
2) Have been an active flying CAP mission scanner for 3 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 100 hours certified flying time as CAP MS, ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO.
4) Qualified as an ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO

CAP Master Aircrew Rating: (basic badge with star and wreath)
1) Meet requirements for CAP senior aircrew rating.
2) Have been an active CAP mission scanner for 5 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 200 hours certified flying time as a CAP MS, ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO.
4) Have a minimum of 20 sorties as a CAP ADIS, AP, ARCHOPR, ARCHTRK, GIIEP, GFSO or HRO on actual missions.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Storm Chaser on October 06, 2014, 12:55:16 PM

So where do you place the blame... Scamguard or National HQ?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Papabird

Mike, Are you talking about the aircrew wings?  I was in the first class to earn them at NESA this year, the requirements are anyone who is aircrew qualified, excluding observer and pilot.  Those ratings include

Mission Scanner
Airborne Photographer
GIEEP Operator
High-bird Radio Operator
A couple others I cant think of at the moment

Thanks Kirk, that is what I was wondering.
Georgia Wing

NC Hokie

Quote from: GrimReaper on October 07, 2014, 11:52:35 AM
Below is the criteria for the Aviation badge.  See CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual 26 June 2014, page 139 to see the badge.

Once the following criteria has been met, a CAPF 2a must also be completed to make you eligible to wear the badge once all of the requirements as listed below are complete.  The approval authority process requires the Aircrew Badge be submitted via CAPF 2a through the chain of command up to the Wing Commander for approval.

Good luck with that.  The approving authority in my wing said they will not approve any requests until this is properly listed in CAPR 35-6 and the Ops Quals module, and I cannot imagine that they're the only ones taking that stance.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JeffDG

Quote from: GrimReaper on October 07, 2014, 11:52:35 AM

You have a regulatory source for that?

Devil Doc

So how do they count "Hours" for AP?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.