Wearing Cadet Blues at Air Force Pinning Ceremony

Started by Luftforsvaret, July 09, 2014, 09:47:52 PM

Luftforsvaret

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have input on this: One of my family's friends is a chaplain in the Air Guard and I have been invited to his pinning ceremony where he will be promoted to a full-bird colonel. Do you guys think it would be appropriate if I represented CAP and wore my blues uniform to the ceremony? If not, please give a clear personal description, CAP reference, or Air Force reference to why this action would be discouraged. I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. Thank you, C/SSgt Abjerøme

NIN

Probably would be OK, but your first point of contact here is your chain of command, not a bunch of random dudes on the Interwebz.

As I was taught "You're never wrong if you wear the uniform your commander specifies."

If your commander says "No, don't wear your uniform," then don't. If he says "Oh, totally go for it!" then you're good.

A good friend got promoted to Major many years ago, and I wore short sleeve blues to his pinning.  Only my friend, his boss (the base IG) and I were in blues. EVERYBODY else at the ceremony was in a flight suit or BDUs.

(so, when people tell the Army "really dresses down," I just laugh)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

Why not ask the person who invited you what he feels is appropriate for his promotion ceremony?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

AirAux

Being from an Air Force family and having one of my boys go to USAFA, I know it will be fine.  Just keep it sharp looming and don't stand around picking your nose, put your hands in your pocket or adjust your nutsack.  The Air Force loves youngsters in uniform.  Do it proudly and respectfully.  You will get a bunch of questions and recruit for CAP.   You will be amazed at how few people know what CAP is.  Make us proud.  And don't let the old blow-hards on here slow you down.  (They are secretly jealous).

lordmonar

Ask the family friend and then your commander and it should be cool
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: AirAux on July 09, 2014, 09:54:29 PM
Being from an Air Force family and having one of my boys go to USAFA, I know it will be fine.  Just keep it sharp looming and don't stand around picking your nose, put your hands in your pocket or adjust your nutsack.  The Air Force loves youngsters in uniform.  Do it proudly and respectfully.  You will get a bunch of questions and recruit for CAP.   You will be amazed at how few people know what CAP is.  Make us proud.  And don't let the old blow-hards on here slow you down.  (They are secretly jealous).

I don't think that's really appropriate, but funny.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

BFreemanMA

Looking towards the regulations, Table 1-1 of CAPM 39-1 states that, "when attending social activities or dinners on military installations,
the wear of a CAP uniform is not restricted." I imagine the pinning ceremony would be on a base, so, regulatory-wise, you are covered. That being said, you can't go wrong by going with what the other gentlemen said: run it by your chain of command and make sure the 'pin-ee' doesn't mind. Otherwise, proudly represent us in your blues!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

DoubleSecret

Quote from: Luftforsvaret on July 09, 2014, 09:47:52 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have input on this: One of my family's friends is a chaplain in the Air Guard and I have been invited to his pinning ceremony where he will be promoted to a full-bird colonel. Do you guys think it would be appropriate if I represented CAP and wore my blues uniform to the ceremony? If not, please give a clear personal description, CAP reference, or Air Force reference to why this action would be discouraged. I really appreciate your thoughts and advice. Thank you, C/SSgt Abjerøme

You asked for an opinion.  My opinion is that you shouldn't wear the uniform at this event, or even ask to.

From CAPM 39-1:

1.2.4.3. CAP members attending a military or civilian event representing CAP must determine whether wear of the uniform is appropriate, must obtain their commander's permission to attend the event in uniform, and must wear the uniform most appropriate to the situation based on formality and the commander's direction. Members will make every effort to comply with local installation uniform policy, or ask the CAP-Liaison Region, the CAP Wing Coordinator, or the installation's public affairs office for guidance.

Step 1:  Determine whether wear of the uniform is appropriate
- Do you have doubts about whether it's appropriate?  Sounds like yes, or you wouldn't be asking.
- Was your invitation to the honoree's promotion ceremony based upon your CAP status?  Sounds like no ("One of my family's friends is a chaplain in the Air Guard...").
- Does the event have any connection to CAP besides the fact that you, a CAP member, will be present?  Sounds like no.
- Did the honoree (i.e., the person this ceremony is about) ask you to wear a CAP uniform, unprompted by you or anyone acting on your behalf?  Sounds like no.
- Is there a need to represent the Civil Air Patrol at an Air National Guard chaplain's promotion ceremony to the grade of colonel?  Sounds like no.  If there were such a need, such representation would likely fall to someone more senior than a C/SSgt.

You are understandably proud of the CAP uniform and your rank and achievements therein.  I commend and encourage that.  Based on the above, however, it does not seem appropriate for you to wear the uniform at the honoree's function.  Go as a family friend in civilian clothes.

Sincerely,
DoubleSecret, Lt Col, CAP

lordmonar

And see what NIN said about asking anonymous yahoos on the web.   8)

Ask your commander.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Luftforsvaret

Thank you for your input. Although I respectfully disagree with some of your statements, (reason being there is much more I need to explain than I would like to post publicly in this forum) I have carefully considered what you have said. I would like to add, however, that if CAP emphasizes it is the 4th partition of the Air Force serving as it's auxiliary, it seems logical to me (part of the determination process) that members of the force would represent themselves in pride of their service for their country at an event such as this. This is specifically why I wanted to run through the regulations which ultimately are inconclusive leading to the discretion of the commander and "pin-ee" as a majority of the other commenters have stated. Also on a lighter-note, this chaplain has been more of a life-mentor and father-figure to me than just a family friend. Hopefully it explains why I try to take such important thought in this matter and consideration for the proper respect and honor this country as well as the individual getting promoted deserves. Again, I respectfully and wholeheartedly thank you for your thoughts on this matter. If you would like to provide additional feedback for this conversation, please send me a personal message. Otherwise, I see no reason to discuss seemingly endless minute details. Thank you.

BuckeyeDEJ

Have at it. I participated at a pinning once, alongside an active-duty one-star and bird colonel, and wore service blues as a then-CAP-captain.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Garibaldi

Changing a topic title midstream is kinda mean.  :o

Storm Chaser

I'm confused. What the heck happened here? He didn't like one of the inputs he received (most were agreeable to him wearing the uniform) and decided to remove his posts and change the title of this tread? Very immature on his part...  :o

Luftforsvaret

Since there's not a clear way to delete a thread, I tried to render it void. I don't like leaving a footprint in places I don't need to. Looks like an administrator restored everything though.

Storm Chaser

That's because what you did wasn't appropriate. If you don't want to post on a public forum, then don't. There are other ways to get the information you need.

Garibaldi

At least this one has better grammar skills...

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 09, 2014, 10:01:59 PM
Quote from: AirAux on July 09, 2014, 09:54:29 PM

I don't think that's really appropriate, but funny.

Come on. What if he went to the commissary and picked up a bag of peanuts? Sheez....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.