Wear of the Command Service Pin...?

Started by Luis R. Ramos, June 01, 2014, 06:20:53 PM

lordmonar

In the last draft of 39-1.

On USAF style uniforms the command pin is manditory for current and alumni commanders under the rank of Col.

On the White Aviators is is optional for both current and former commanders under the rank of Col and limited to officers only.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on June 20, 2014, 05:25:25 PM

On USAF style uniforms the command pin is manditory for current and alumni commanders under the rank of Col.

On the White Aviators is is optional for both current and former commanders under the rank of Col and limited to officers only.

So members wearing stripes who were commanders don't get to wear the "alumni" pin?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2014, 05:28:56 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on June 20, 2014, 05:25:25 PM

So members wearing stripes who were commanders don't get to wear the "alumni" pin?
That's the way the Draft worded it.   Don't know if it was an oversight and if so....was the oversight on part of the gray and whites or the USAF uniforms?   

With what the NCO Program White Paper said......in the future NCO's will not be able command so down the road it will be a moot point as those of NCOs who have commanded either retire or switch to O's it will fix itself.

I'm waiting for the New 39-1 to be published before I bring it up to the powers that be for clarification.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Checotah

I would like to clarify that I fully support and encourage the wear of the uniforms, and can count on my fingers the number of times I have attended a CAP function (meeting, SAREX, convention, etc.) not in uniform in the past 35 years.  My earlier response was simply to provide one possible answer to the question of why someone would not wear the Command Service Pin.

As to the wearing of uniforms (a bit off the original topic), we locally have about half of our Senior members who wear the polo combo (or a flight suit when appropriate), but who likely would not wear any of the other combinations.  I should point out that ties are seldom worn in our community except by accountants or bankers, so there is a generally casual atmosphere in the business environment which plays into some of that attitude.  Blue jeans are accepted wear at even the fanciest restaurants around here.  I mention this just to help convey the local customs which impact attitudes about clothing and/or uniforms.
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Checotah on June 20, 2014, 06:12:17 PM...we locally have about half of our Senior members who wear the polo combo (or a flight suit when appropriate), but who likely would not wear any of the other combinations.

Then someone "locally" should point out Paragraph 1-1 of 39-1.

Local "custom" is irrelevant, and all the more reason to wear the uniform(s) properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

Checotah

Not sure what that paragraph would tell them.  It speaks to our being authorized to wear uniforms, but does not require them.  The polo combination is an authorized combination, so they are in full compliance. 

I mention local custom because, whether you agree or not, it does affect mind set.  I didn't say they wear it improperly.  Or do you have a problem with the polo combination?
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

Storm Chaser

CAPM 39-1, para 1-5 requires members to own one of the two minimum basic uniforms (AF-style blue short-sleeve shirt service uniform or CAP white aviator shirt with gray slacks combinations). Commanders may require other optional uniforms. It's up to the commander or activity director to determine the uniform to be worn at any given time.

Eclipse

Quote from: Checotah on June 20, 2014, 06:56:54 PMI mention local custom because, whether you agree or not, it does affect mind set.

Clearly, since you think it is perfectly acceptable for a Region CC to eschew wear of the uniform, and suggest we should all be in jeans.

"That Others May Zoom"

Checotah

I'm obviously not being very clear. 

I don't believe I said I approved of the position of that former Regional Commander.  I simply mentioned his position on the uniform.

Neither did I say I approved of wearing jeans.  I said that people around here in the community wear jeans to restaurants as an example of the casualness of the community.
Fred Arnett
Lt. Col., CAP

Eclipse

Then why hold up examples of "excellent" commanders who eschew uniforms?

And for that matter, what difference does it make what Lord and my resumes contain in this context?

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

What I was getting at is that, as I said, I have been in a unit where uniforms were "optional."  In fact, anything not directly related to flying the airplane was "optional."

A woman I was training in her speciality track (a very nice lady, sadly no longer with us) once asked me why I had all the uniforms I did "when you could just get a golf shirt and grey slacks," which was all she had.  I told her that was not regulation, and she said, "well, the CC told me that is all I really had to have."

Some didn't even do that.  They would wear some sort of CAP baseball cap (purchased or homemade) when they would fly to be "in compliance."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on June 20, 2014, 10:10:10 PMSome didn't even do that.  They would wear some sort of CAP baseball cap (purchased or homemade) when they would fly to be "in compliance."

Gee-zus.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on June 20, 2014, 10:13:24 PM
Gee-zus.

I said a few other words besides...almost got me a 2B, but I took the attitude "you can't fire me, I quit."

This was the same unit where pilots would sign up their significant others just so they could ride in the CAP airplane, and did not participate otherwise.

We had a load of mostly-female second lieutenants whom I never met or even knew who they were.

I'd wager that some of those "CAP baseball caps" were kept in the aircraft so these SO's could be "in compliance." ::)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011