A possible jacket for the aviator G/W kit?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, April 22, 2014, 07:35:09 PM

THRAWN

Quote from: arajca on April 23, 2014, 01:48:26 PM
Quote from: capmaj on April 23, 2014, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: Mustang on April 23, 2014, 05:57:45 AM
I'd like to see these authorized with the G/W combo.  Army issue, just a black version of the AF-style lightweight jacket. And doesn't look like you're a gas station attendant.

Why would "authorization" be needed?
It used to be, but got caught in the CSU debacle.

It's a nice lightweight jacket. Just have to watch that you don't grab the Members Only jacket next to it on the way out the door...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Panache

Quote from: THRAWN on April 23, 2014, 02:32:54 PM
It's a nice lightweight jacket. Just have to watch that you don't grab the Members Only jacket next to it on the way out the door...

(scans 39-1 to see if Parachute Pants are authorized...)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Panache on April 23, 2014, 04:52:54 PM

It's right beside the square-end knit tie, just above Docksiders.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Panache

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 23, 2014, 04:59:12 PM
Quote from: Panache on April 23, 2014, 04:52:54 PM

It's right beside the square-end knit tie, just above Docksiders.

Yeah, I found it.  Unfortunately, it tells me to STOP! Hammer time!

a2capt

Now..

Put the needle on the record ..
When the song beats go like this ...

Pump Up the Volume!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I think this post has drifted so much I see red shift.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Phil Hirons, Jr. on April 23, 2014, 05:22:39 PM

Another uniform thread...drifted off topic? That's two in one year.

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 23, 2014, 05:23:40 PM

Just to get us back on task...how will it look with ABUs?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on April 23, 2014, 05:43:58 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on April 23, 2014, 05:23:40 PM

Just to get us back on task...how will it look with ABUs?

OFF WITH HIS HEAD! KILL HIM WITH FIRE!

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: bosshawk on April 23, 2014, 07:06:16 AM
I am under the impression that the Army did away with the black windbreaker.  But what do I know, I have been retired almost 27 years.

Still available in the AAFES Army uniform catalog. Enlisted wear the jacket with collar (identical to the AF lightweight jacket except in black); officers wear the jacket with knit collar (identical to the AF general officer lightweight jacket except for the color). I'll have to pay a visit to the Redstone Arsenal MCSS to see the finer differences, if any.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SunDog

I looked in 39-1 today, maybe for only the second or third time in more than a decade. I should feel guilty. . . Anyway, I was checking to see if the metal (encased in plastic) captain's bars I've been wearing were really OK for my blue nomex (not purchased from the approved source, by the way). . .Been following the herd in my wing; in the pictures, it looks like they are probably metal.  The other CAP guys I know wear them on their sage green, or blue, nomex. Then again, we all wear baseball caps with rank insignia embrodered on them, and someone here told me that wasn't correct. . .

Anyway, in looking around, I stumbled across a passage that says we can wear a turtleneck and boots with the blue blazer/gray slack combination! Like a 1960's private-eye, David Jansen/James Garner kind of look. . .sweet!  Gotta find somewhere to buy a white turtleneck (mock is OK, it says). 

Mustang

Quote from: arajca on April 23, 2014, 01:48:26 PM
Quote from: capmaj on April 23, 2014, 12:00:24 PM
Quote from: Mustang on April 23, 2014, 05:57:45 AM
I'd like to see these authorized with the G/W combo.  Army issue, just a black version of the AF-style lightweight jacket. And doesn't look like you're a gas station attendant.

Why would "authorization" be needed?
It used to be, but got caught in the CSU debacle.

Well, if it were approved, you'd just have to aim for the one with rank insignia on it...

Though the chair of the uniform committee disagrees with me, I'd like to see the aviator shirt combo stick to a monochrome color scheme of white/gray/black. The AF blue necktie is specified when long sleeves are worn, and I think it kind of clashes.  Black tie, black belt, black shoes, black jacket would look better and it's, well, coordinated. (And no matching of Garanimals tags required!)
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: SunDog on April 23, 2014, 09:43:21 PMThen again, we all wear baseball caps with rank insignia embrodered on them, and someone here told me that wasn't correct. . .

Bright on dark blue cloth is allowed on the blue nomex flightsuit and utility jumpsuit.

Grade is not authorized on any baseball caps.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

FWIW, the plastic encased insignia is all plastic. The bit inside is not metal, as much as it looks so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SunDog

Ah, so, that explains the "plastic" terminology then, thanks.  . . the baseball caps have embridered sqdn numbers, with the wing "pre-fix", and the rank is emboidered in the appropriate color thread.

I recall the caps didn't have rank initially, but when replacement time came around, someone asked for rank when ordering, and the caps came delivered that way.  Again, I just followed the herd. They appear universal, more or less, in my wing. 

Panache

I am so stealing this for future use.

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on April 23, 2014, 10:18:46 PM
Quote from: SunDog on April 23, 2014, 09:43:21 PMThen again, we all wear baseball caps with rank insignia embrodered on them, and someone here told me that wasn't correct. . .

Bright on dark blue cloth is allowed on the blue nomex flightsuit and utility jumpsuit.

As is the plastic-encased grade insignia (page 78, current 39-1).  The blue nomex flightsuit and regular blue jumpsuit have the option of either the embroidered full-color grade insignia on navy blue cloth (ICL for 39-1, dated May 2012, 3.b.8) or plastic-encased grade insignia.  The sage green flightsuit can only use the plastic-encased grade insignia (page 34, current 39-1).

Grade is not authorized on any baseball caps.

Indeed.  Wing Kings have a lot of leeway for "customizing" their unit's baseball caps for their wings (PAWG is the most obvious example) but grade insignia on the baseball caps is specifically verboten in the regs.

Devil Doc

Indeed.  Wing Kings have a lot of leeway for "customizing" their unit's baseball caps for their wings (PAWG is the most obvious example) but grade insignia on the baseball caps is specifically verboten in the regs.
[/quote]

Actually, If you on an Ranger Team, you can have Rank on your Orange Ball Caps.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

JeffDG

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 24, 2014, 01:43:57 PM
Got a cite for that?

Panache

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 24, 2014, 01:43:57 PM

Pretty sure that's while taking part at Hawk Mountain only.

Quote3. Added. Hawk Mountain Ranger School Staff will wear the orange baseball hat with the keystone emblem affixed to the front in place of standard unit numbers. The Keystone will be 2 ¼ to 2 ½ inches in height and will be placed ½ inch above the visor, centered on the front. The black keystone will be worn by all Hawk Mountain Staff members who have earned the achievement of Instructor or Expert Ranger. The red keystone, with black border will be worn by all other Hawk Mountain Staff members. These hats are to be worn only at Hawk Mountain Ranger School Events. Hawk Mountain Ranger School Students will wear the orange baseball hat with their respective unit number or the HMRS logo.
4. Added. PA Wing Encampment or School staff will wear the orange baseball hat with ENC, CLS, LDC, PFE or GFE in place of the standard unit numbers. The placement and presentation of these numbers will be the same as those prescribed for flights, and squadrons.
5. Added. In accordance with "Changes to CAPM 39-1" (25 January 2008, NHQ) grade insignia is not authorized for wear with the CAP baseball hat. EXCEPTION: Senior and cadet metal grade insignia is to be worn with the Hawk Mountain Keystone baseball hat, as authorized by NHQ.
7. Added. IAW CAPM 39-1, Table 1-3, Line 2, any PA Wing distinctive headgear will be worn within the boundaries of the Pennsylvania Wing only, and my not be worn to activities outside of Pennsylvania unless otherwise approved by the Wing Commander where the activity is taking place.

Source:  http://pawg.cap.gov/sites/default/files/pubs/PAWG-Supp-39-1-Dec11.pdf