Vanguard quality.....

Started by Sapper168, February 04, 2014, 05:51:48 AM

Sapper168

Just bought a new blazer name plate with captains rank from Vanguard. Was pleased when I learned it was shipped within 24 hours being a custom order. hen I go tit and took out of the packaging I noticed what looked like hot glue around the captains rank.  I grabbed an exacto knife to trim up the edges and the whole rank fell off the nameplate!  Upon further notice the hot glue wasn't hot glue at all but double sided tape....  And not heavy duty 3m type tape but the scotch brand type you would use for paper. Threw me for a loop because the last two ranks for the plate I ordered had a pin on the back and this one doesn't.   Guess I am going to have to find the super glue. 
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

NIN

I have two embroidered commander's badges from Vanguard sitting here on my desk. They look horrible.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Brad

Available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. This stuff is load-bearing, I've used it to repair my Tie Pilot costume. Takes a bit to get a good solid set, it's like rubber cement, CA glue, and epoxy all rolled into one but without the mixing. If you get it somewhere you don't want, you can rub it to roll it off before it sets like rubber cement.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Archer

Screw that, make them do it right or do it again.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on February 04, 2014, 06:10:29 AM
I have two embroidered commander's badges from Vanguard sitting here on my desk. They look horrible.

I was browsing their site yesterday. The cloth command badge looks like a bird dropping.

The triangle in the middle of the bullion command pilot wings is crooked. Very.

There is at least one illustration for "pilot wings" that actually depicts "observer wings."

I still don't understand why they came out with the t-shirts and caps with the "weeping willow" wings.

Amateurish presentation of amateurish products. Probably an inevitable result of exclusive contract with no competitors.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Send a pic of the crappy item to the Sales Manager at the California address. That's the company headquarters, and might get attention that complaining to the Virginia location.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Goop works. Very well.

The rank on the blazer name tags used to have screw backs, allowing replacement when promoted, except captain to major, due to configuration differences. That also made the item more expensive.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Vanguard quality is too often a contradiction in terms.

It wasn't this way with the old CAP Bookstore.

For those who are interested, here is a review of their A-2 jacket:

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews_info&products_id=7829&reviews_id=27

I did not get mine from VG.  The regulations do not say you must.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on February 04, 2014, 08:35:37 AM
I did not get mine from VG.  The regulations do not say you must.

Don't give them any ideas...

Eclipse

The grade insignia on the black nametag is not supposed to be glued on, it's supposed to be a screw-back insignia
that can be swapped out (for all but Captain, unfortunately).

When I went to swap out the gold oak for the silver, I dropped the new one from about 4 feet onto concrete and
the poorly-soldered pin broke off. Ridiculous.

I haven't bothered to order a new one yet, assuming I do at all.

Beware using superglue.  The "plating" on most of the new stuff is going to come right off with most superglue
these days.   Epoxy might be better, but regardless, you won't be swapping it out if that's an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2014, 03:56:41 PM
The grade insignia on the black nametag is not supposed to be glued on, it's supposed to be a screw-back insignia
that can be swapped out (for all but Captain, unfortunately).

Well, it's not anymore. Vanguard now makes the blazer nameplate with stick-on garbage. When I ordered a new one after changing Wings, I ended up drilling my own holes and reusing the pins from my NY nameplate.

Eclipse

So they expect you to buy a new nameplate every time you get promoted?

Now that you mention it, I suppose I could use double-face tape to fix mine instead of the Portland cement I
was intending to try.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2014, 09:58:48 PM
So they expect you to buy a new nameplate every time you get promoted?

Now that you mention it, I suppose I could use double-face tape to fix mine instead of the Portland cement I
was intending to try.

Buying a new nameplate set up for each promotion can be a PITA for those in the company grades.

Don't use Portland cement.  Try covalent bonding.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

C/Awesomenesss

Quote from: Brad on February 04, 2014, 06:12:12 AM

Available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. This stuff is load-bearing, I've used it to repair my Tie Pilot costume. Takes a bit to get a good solid set, it's like rubber cement, CA glue, and epoxy all rolled into one but without the mixing. If you get it somewhere you don't want, you can rub it to roll it off before it sets like rubber cement.
This stuff is awesome!!!!!!!!!! ;) :p

a2capt

..and it's relative:
Fixes all kinds of shoe problems.

NIN

BTW, the aforementioned Commander's Badge:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Shawn W.

Would it be bennificial to us, since we pay so much for this stuff, to put a petition forward to National asking for improvement on the quality of items being sold to us??

LSThiker

Quote from: Shawn W. on February 05, 2014, 04:15:33 PM
Would it be bennificial to us, since we pay so much for this stuff, to put a petition forward to National asking for improvement on the quality of items being sold to us??

Since I have never considered using it, but would it be more appropriate not for a "petition" but for a "Ask the National Commander"?

MSG Mac

Quote from: LSThiker on February 05, 2014, 04:25:50 PM
Quote from: Shawn W. on February 05, 2014, 04:15:33 PM

Since I have never considered using it, but would it be more appropriate not for a "petition" but for a "Ask the National Commander"?

There is a person at NHQ who is CAP's contact with Vanguard. Call them. Also call Vanguard tell them what happened and tell them you want a replacement ASAP, or you will have your Credit Card reverse the charge.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

Quote from: NIN on February 04, 2014, 06:10:29 AM

That's true of many of their other badges. The quality of my embroidered Observer and Master Ground Team Badges is awful. I ordered several sets of embroidered Major grade insignias last year and there were visible inconsistencies between the sets of insignias they shipped.

I'm also not impressed with the quality of their gray epaulet slides; it doesn't compare with that of the Air Force blue epaulet slides, which cost less in AAFES/MCSS. And let's not get started with the blue polos.

I understand Vanguard needs to make money to stay in business and that CAP is just a fraction of that business, but quality should not be compromised.