Crewmember wings alternative

Started by Mustang, January 05, 2014, 10:25:23 PM

Mustang

Didn't care much for the design in the 39-1 draft, so I whipped this up.  Feedback invited.

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Panache

Other than I can see some confusion between these, the Observer wings, and the pilot wings, I like it.

Maybe make the "C" gold?

Flying Pig

What exactly is an "alternative" crew member?  Is becoming an Observer really that hard if you want a set of wings that bad?

Panache

Flying Pig, I think he's making alternative wings for Aircrew, which is apparently now a Thing in the draft 39-1.

LSThiker

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 05, 2014, 10:58:15 PM
What exactly is an "alternative" crew member?  Is becoming an Observer really that hard if you want a set of wings that bad?

It is not "alternative" crew member, rather alternative "crewmember wings".  Look in CAPM39-1 for the proposed crewmember wings.

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 05, 2014, 10:58:15 PM

Most of the real work in the airplanes is done by the GIB these days, that should be recognized.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

Quote from: Panache on January 05, 2014, 10:55:12 PM
Other than I can see some confusion between these, the Observer wings, and the pilot wings, I like it.

Maybe make the "C" gold?

This has never been a problem with CAP Glider Pilot wings, which served as the basis for my design.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Panache

Quote from: Mustang on January 05, 2014, 11:22:49 PM
Quote from: Panache on January 05, 2014, 10:55:12 PM

Maybe make the "C" gold?

This has never been a problem with CAP Glider Pilot wings, which served as the basis for my design.

Just another reason for the "C" to stand out more, since it looks very, very much like the "G" in the glider wings.

I like where you're going with this, fwiw.  Just needs to be differentiated some more.

Mustang

Quote from: Panache on January 06, 2014, 12:01:11 AM
Quote from: Mustang on January 05, 2014, 11:22:49 PM

Just another reason for the "C" to stand out more, since it looks very, very much like the "G" in the glider wings.

I like where you're going with this, fwiw.  Just needs to be differentiated some more.

Point taken, but if implemented, you'll see far more crew wings out there than glider wings.  I doubt there are more than a hundred CAP Glider Pilots out there, most people have never seen anyone wearing glider wings.

Also, adding a second color metal to the insignia would drive up the cost enormously as it would add a n additional degree of complexity to the manufacturing process that isn't there now with all current wings.  And before anyone says it, I will hunt down anyone who suggests adding colored enamel! :)

BHartman007

Maybe you could add some colored enamel.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

MacGruff

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 06, 2014, 12:57:09 AM
Maybe you could add some colored enamel.

I would duck into hiding, if i were you...    ;D

BHartman007

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Flying Pig

Mustang

THRAWN

There is no need to design and produce a new set of badges for members of CAP aircrews. Current designs would suffice for the purpose of designating individuals as aircrew with no additional cost to the member or the organization. It is my proposal that the current Observer style aviation badge be redesignated "CAP Aircrew Badge". This would enable one badge to encompass all non-pilot aircrew specialties. The Basic badge would be authorized for scanners, aerial photographers, and all other non-pilot and non-observer crew duties. The senior badge would be authorized for Observers. The Master badge would be authorized for members who are qualified Air Operations Branch Directors. Using this method, there would be no need to design, cast or produce a new style insignia in the various versions (full, mini, cloth, and leather nametag). Organizationally, only a change to existing regs would be necessary, with negligible funding impact. The cost to members would be minimal.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

capmaj

Can't seem to find the verbage concerning the 'aircrew' member wings in the 39-1 proposal. I noticed the pic in the illustrations, but can someone point out the wording concerning these?

THRAWN

You're not alone. Just another example of the cart before the horse...no description of the training requirements, just a shiny new badge...

Quote from: capmaj on January 06, 2014, 03:08:42 PM
Can't seem to find the verbage concerning the 'aircrew' member wings in the 39-1 proposal. I noticed the pic in the illustrations, but can someone point out the wording concerning these?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Papabird

Quote from: capmaj on January 06, 2014, 03:08:42 PM

A new CAPR 35-6 will have to be released to provide that information.  At this point, it is unknown to us "masses".   >:D
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

a2capt

Quote from: THRAWN on January 06, 2014, 03:37:57 PMYou're not alone. Just another example of the cart before the horse...no description of the training requirements, just a shiny new badge...
NCO Program announcement, anyone? At least this is still draft, so there's an excuse.

Storm Chaser

I'm not sure we need another set of aircrew wings. That said, if NHQ is going to authorize them, I would recommend they be awarded to additional aircrew qualifications such as Airborne Photographer (AP), but not to Mission Scanners (MS). The reason being, I see MS as sort of a transitional aircrew qualification. MS is a prerequisite to all other mission aircrew qualifications and its requirements are not that many or that difficult. I don't see why a MS can't go the extra steps to become a MO or AP in order to earn his/her wings. I would venture to say that most active MS also hold additional aircrew qualifications anyway.