Most Basic CAP Uniform for New Member

Started by antdetroitwallyball, December 22, 2013, 04:23:51 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BHartman007

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2014, 10:20:44 PM
Quote from: BHartman007 on January 02, 2014, 10:17:32 PM
Why couldn't he just leave his sidearm in the car?

Not as cool.

I suppose not.

It only takes 30 seconds of extra prep to bring a uniform shirt and pants to work with you. Almost every cop I know if half out of their uniform before they even get home.

It's not like weekly meeting night/time is a surprise they don't tell you about until it's happening.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Storm Chaser

Agree. I often make it to our meetings straight from work. When I don't have enough time to change into a CAP uniform prior to the meeting, I just do so at the squadron building. It only takes a few minutes. Being in law enforcement or the military is not dispensation for not wearing a CAP uniform to CAP meetings or activities.

PHall

Because the weapon would not be secured.

BHartman007

Panache

I never leave my weapon in the car.

If I'm carrying a weapon, then it's on my person.  That way I know it's safe and in my control.

Quote from: Eclipse on January 02, 2014, 10:20:44 PM
Not as cool.

That's just uncalled for.  FWIW, a duty sidearm is usually not very light, in addition to all the extra gear.  It's a pain in the tush to lug around all the time.

BHartman007

Quote from: Panache on January 03, 2014, 01:32:44 AM

I never leave my weapon in the car.

If I'm carrying a weapon, then it's on my person.  That way I know it's safe and in my control.

Fair enough. But I wouldn't feel at all unsafe with my CHL locked up in the car outside the squadron building, either.
If the choice is lock it up, or don't come to the meeting, it's seems an equitable option.

I would imagine even having mine in the car would be verboten at ours, because it's past the secure point on a base.

Panache

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 03, 2014, 01:43:20 AM
Fair enough. But I wouldn't feel at all unsafe with my CHL locked up in the car outside the squadron building, either.
If the choice is lock it up, or don't come to the meeting, it's seems an equitable option.

True.  Speaking from personal experience, even through I know the chances that somebody would break into my car and steal my secured weapon outside the Squadron building is.... extremely low, old habits and training is hard to ignore.  I would admit to being worried about it.

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 03, 2014, 01:43:20 AM
I would imagine even having mine in the car would be verboten at ours, because it's past the secure point on a base.

For this discussion I'm assuming the person with the weapon is a LEO and that it has been cleared with the base MP's / DoD Police / whoever the Law Enforcement is.  Obviously if it's illegal or against regs, then it's a non-issue.

For example: I had a situation where I was to go onto a school campus to give a presentation.  Even though I was a sworn and certified LEO, I wasn't a School Police officer and was told, in no uncertain terms, not to wear my weapon.  (/shrugs)

Luis R. Ramos

I guess if a sidearm is locked in a vehicle and others know that vehicle belongs to a policeman, a person intent on harm can break in. 

I can  understand that, and agree with Hall and others.

Weighty?

Again I sympathize with Hall. I rode with a volunteer ambulance corps. In my duty belt I carried gloves, flashlight, radio.

For officers, adding a sidearm and ammo, about two clips in addition to the one inside, and handcuffs... How much is that? About five to ten pounds in the waist?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Panache

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 03, 2014, 01:55:40 AM
For officers, adding a sidearm and ammo, about two clips in addition to the one inside, and handcuffs... How much is that? About five to ten pounds in the waist?

Easily.  I suspect that all my lower back problems I've developed are from wearing a duty belt with a Para-Ordnance P16.40, 46 rounds of ammo, two pairs of handcuffs, pepper spray, an expandable baton, a Streamlight Stinger, keyring, and a chunky two-way radio which was state of the art in the late 70's, plus body armor, for almost two decades.

Or it could just be me getting old.  Either/or, really.

abdsp51

Quote from: Panache on January 03, 2014, 02:19:39 AM
Quote from: flyer333555 on January 03, 2014, 01:55:40 AM

Easily.  I suspect that all my lower back problems I've developed are from wearing a duty belt with a Para-Ordnance P16.40, 46 rounds of ammo, two pairs of handcuffs, pepper spray, an expandable baton, a Streamlight Stinger, keyring, and a chunky two-way radio which was state of the art in the late 70's, plus body armor, for almost two decades.

Or it could just be me getting old.  Either/or, really.

It's a cause for lower back pain which is why in 2003 I switched my belt to the Accumold Ergo-Tek belt and wore that for years. It helped out alot.