Most Basic CAP Uniform for New Member

Started by antdetroitwallyball, December 22, 2013, 04:23:51 PM

antdetroitwallyball

Hello There:

I'm a prospective member of your fine organization who is currently giving serious consideration towards joining shortly after the holiday season.

I understand the first steps will be visiting prospective squadrons, filling out paperwork, doing fingerprints (QUESTION: Who actually is the fingerprint technician? Do CAP members do this "in-house?"), etc. I obviously won't be making any uniform purchases until after I receive formal membership....

However, as absolutely no volunteer work is ever free to the volunteer, I'm trying to go ahead and price-out my initial cost of membership.

So far:

• The cost of driving to weekly meetings (neglible in terms of cost)
  • The Annual dues ($65/year......theoretically acceptable for an application fee, but quite frankly almost ridiculous for an annual fee each year afterwards....but whatever...I'm over it :) )
  • The cost of a basic starter-uniform. Honestly, I want my initial uniform to be as basic as possible. I intend to give CAP a solid year as a trial to see what I think of it, and until then, I don't want to invest more than I have to into a uniform...

So my Primary Question: Which of your many uniforms is the best for a first time member to obtain? If it matters, I wish to eventually pursue the ES and Cadet programs in CAP... And can anyone provide a uniform cost estimate as well?

Thanks again for your help. :)

Eclipse

Members are required by regulation to equip themselves with the "Minimum Basic Uniform" - that is either the USAF-Style Blues or the Aviator Whites.
The USAF style uniforms require you meet specific weight and grooming standards

After that, there are other optional combinations which may be better suited for a particular duty.

Your best bet is not to worry too much about uniforms until you've found a unit that is a fit and you are an approved member.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I'm assuming that you're an adult, so the "book" answer is that the minimum uniform that all senior members should have is the dark blue slacks and light blue shirt uniform combination.  If you don't meet height/weight guidelines the option is gray slacks and a white shirt. 

If you're working with cadets you will probably end up also wearing the BDU uniform (or the blue equivalent) as well, especially if your interest in ES includes doing ground search and rescue. 

All that being said, many new members start off with gray slacks and one of the blue golf shirts as they only thing they need to buy is the shirt (in many cases). 

arajca

At the risk of dissing the service uniform (AF light blue shirt and dark blue slacks), I would recommend getting the aviator shirt/grey slacks (grey/white) uniform, even if you are within the h/w standards. The rationale is the grey/whites can be used easily outside of CAP and both require the same basic accoutrements. Some recommend the golf shirt, but the service uniform or grey/white is the minimum required and is generally easier to obtain than the golf shirt. Here are some prices:
Vanguard:
Printed golf shirt - $24
Embroidered golf shirt - $33 (personalization is extra)
AF blue short sleeve shirt - $44
Aviator shirt - $25
AB blue pants - $55
Nametag - $3.50

You can find the aviator shirt online at other shops for $18-$50 depending on where you go. Grey slacks can run into similar prices. If you're lucky, you can find them at Goodwill (or other similar stores) for a whole lot less - I know one member who picked up two aviator shirts and three grey slack for under $20 total at Goodwill. I don't have the MCSS (Military Clothing Sales Store) prices, but they are cheaper than Vanguard. The only official source for the golf shirt is Vanguard, but they've had quality issues with the shirts themselves.

BTW, the golf shirt uses the same slacks as the aviator shirt.

antdetroitwallyball

Alright....so it sounds like I'll be getting the Aviator Shirt and grey pants then. I'm going to use the "Goog" (as my friend calls it) to search for these height and weight reqs.. I'm about 235 LBS and about 5'11". Kinda chubby, but maybe not too fat. I won't go for the USAF-style or BDU's just yet.

On an interesting note, I have a ton of brand new old-style Coast Guard ODUs sitting in my basement. They are basically Blue BDUs (the old version of the ODU never had any Coast Guard emblems embroidered on them like the current ones due). I wonder if I could simple turn these into a CAP Blue BDU..The only thing is that the ODUs shirt (or "blouse," as the CG calls it) has only two pockets, whereas the normal army woodland BDUs have four pockets......might not work out...

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Like I said, I won't be ordering ANYTHING until I'm well within the membership. My whole intentions here were to price things out, and it looks like I can get away with not spending much more than $60 for an initial uniform when the time comes. And that makes me happy.

Thanks again for the help. :)

NIN

Something to consider is that many units have their own "uniform culture" within the regs.  You may go to a unit and every single SM in the place wears the golf shirt and grey slacks.  You may go to another and its USAF style for the SMs in height/weight and aviators (white/grey equivalent) for those not. Or just the CP folks wear USAF style or CAP-distinctive, and the rest of the party wear golf shirts.

Based on what you said, you're in the "Avoid" region of the "USAF Uniform Height/Weight Diagram" (my fellow rotorheads will get that one) for now, so don't worry so much about the USAF uniform.

Grey slacks (not Dockers, please, oh heavens no..) can be had at Goodwill, as stated, or I found them brand new at Sears for a VERY reasonable price (IIRC, about $20?).  The aviator shirt, at least the Van Heusen brand ones that I had previously, kind of suck from a quality standpoint. I'm a "pinpoint oxford" kind of guy, and the cheap poplin construction really, really turned me off.  I recently obtained a much higher quality shirt that I am desperate to find another one of (mostly due to the fact that this one has developed this little cut over the pocket which will get worse..).  Its made by "Flying Cross" and it is called a "Distinguished" (thats sort of the "model")

Flying Cross makes this same shirt in blue and its sold at MCSS (its the "Higher quality wool-blend shirt" versus the DPSC "issue" shirt), but the one I have is in white and it mirrors the USAF Dress Blue shirt construction right down to the mitred pockets.

(you may be able to find one of these shirts in a public service uniforms store, BTW)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 22, 2013, 05:35:38 PMI wonder if I could simple turn these into a CAP Blue BDU.

No.  You might be able to use the pants, but the shirt is decidedly different.  It'll cost as much to change it as to just buy a shirt.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: arajca on December 22, 2013, 05:21:59 PM
Embroidered golf shirt - $33 (personalization is extra)

I've picked up the embroidered CAP golf shirt off eBay for cheaper than that (I think it was around $25-ish or so) and the quality is on par with the "official" shift from Vanguard.  Of course, your mileage may vary.  Same goes for the white aviator shirt.

That being said, you might want to wait a bit before buying anything uniform related if you can.  We're all waiting for the new edition of the uniform regulations (39-1) which is due Any Day Now™.  While no drastic changes are expected in this draft, it probably wouldn't hurt to wait a little bit.

abdsp51

If you do join please make sure you obtain the REQUIRED uniform and know how to wear it properly.  The golf shirt is fine and dandy but is not the minimum required.  Also wear the uniform IAW with 39-1 and if it doesn't say you can then don't.  And your squadron commander will dictate the uniform policy for the unit and don't do what I have seen alot of times and cop out on wearing the UOD because you don't have it or are to lazy to get it.

SarDragon

The height/weight chart is in the back of CAPM 39-1. Almost everything else you might want to know about uniforms is in there, too. The rest is here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Slim

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 22, 2013, 05:35:38 PM
On an interesting note, I have a ton of brand new old-style Coast Guard ODUs....

Why is it that anyone with a screen name like that (antdetroit) just jumped out and screamed "Coastie"? 

Still in the Detroit area?  Hit me with a PM and I can give you the low down on the squadrons in the area.

Slim

Private Investigator

Quote from: antdetroitwallyball on December 22, 2013, 04:23:51 PM

I'm a prospective member of your fine organization who is currently giving serious consideration towards joining shortly after the holiday season.

Every unit has a different persona. Some Senior Squadrons you could do a career with just a golf shirt.

Welcome aboard and have fun   8)

capmaj

NIN...... 

Galls Uniform Catalog has a complete line of Flying Cross shirts. They've been supplying Police/Fire/Security for years and have great customer and on-line service. Here's the link.............. 

http://www.galls.com/

Garibaldi

In my experience, and YMMV, most seniors dealing with CP in a direct function almost always wore the AF style uniform. Those that were in to fly or who were sick of wearing military style uniforms after their 20-25 years of AD wore polos and slacks. We in ES mainly wore the BBDU, but I grew up in AF blue and continue to wear the AF style blue uniform. I do own a polo but I don't wear it unless I am out of grooming standards or representing CAP at a function where the uniform would be impractical or inappropriate.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Quote from: capmaj on December 23, 2013, 04:43:47 PM
NIN...... 

Galls Uniform Catalog has a complete line of Flying Cross shirts. They've been supplying Police/Fire/Security for years and have great customer and on-line service. Here's the link.............. 

http://www.galls.com/

Sadly, it appears that Flying Cross have stopped the "Distinguished" line (except, maybe, for the blue USAF shirts you can get at MCSS) in favor of the "Duro" line (which is poplin, not broadcloth).

(http://www.galls.com/flying-cross-mens-65-35-poly-cotton-duro-poplin-long-sleeve-shirt)

Meh.

Poplin shirts suck.  Thats why I take issue with the Van Heusen Aviator. Its very cheaply made and pills up.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

EMT-83

Careful buying from Galls; your shirt might come with a badge tab.

UH60guy

Here's a short summary, but based on what you said about your weight, you will not be in the USAF-style uniform for now. Take a look at pages 75, 76, and 79 for pictures of the below-mentioned uniforms from our uniform regulation at:  http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/m391_e6f33eaaec28a.pdf

At your height, you can only wear the USAF style blues and the camo BDUs if you go below 219 pounds.

Required (pic on page 75): Gray slacks and aviator shirt. Nametag. Gray rank shoulder boards. You probably already have the black shoes and belt.

Once you get started in emergency services (pic on page 79): Blue BDUs, black boots, belt. Since you're pricing it out, realize there are some unwriten costs as well: You'll need a custom-embroidered blue nametape, one CAP name tape, two rank insignia (3 depending on hat requirements for your squadron), and a wing patch. Also remember the sewing cost to attach those to the uniform.

Nice to have (pic on page 76): Blue polo, can wear with gray slacks listed above.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Camas

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on December 23, 2013, 04:53:21 PM
Poplin shirts suck.  Thats why I take issue with the Van Heusen Aviator. Its very cheaply made and pills up.

I have several Aviators, and haven't seen pilling on any of them. The oldest is over 10 years olde. How are you washing them. Here, it's cold wash and rinse, perma-press dry, and iron with low heat.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret