Wear of parts of CAP uniform outside of CAP?

Started by CadetButterz, October 06, 2013, 09:12:51 PM

CadetButterz

For example, is it not allowed for me to wear a part of my uniform?

In this case my BDU hat, even though I am not doing CAP functions can I still wear it?

Brad

It's a bit of a gray area with CAPM 39-1, but the consensus would be a mixture of "no", "why?" and "who's to know?". Now the third part only comes into play if you're not a Cadet officer, which in that case you wouldn't have any insignia on the hat anyway, so who's to know the difference between it being a CAP BDU hat vs you simply wearing a BDU hat you got off ebay?

CAPM 39-1 simply offers this as a "catch-all" in addition to other specific times of do not wear, e.g. private employment and political activities:
QuoteDo not wear under any circumstance that would tend to bring discredit or reproach upon the uniform.

The USAF uniform manual on the other hand, while we technically are not under, is still a good guide to keep in mind, offers this:
QuoteWhile in civilian attire. Do not mix or wear military unique uniform items with civilian clothes; for example, rank insignia, cap devices, badges, and other US or Air Force insignia, devices, buttons, etc. Exception: Tie tacks and lapel pens are authorized when wearing business attire.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Storm Chaser

The simple answer to you question is no, you cannot wear "parts" of the uniform with civilian clothes unless it is specifically authorized in CAPM 39-1.

That said, there are many clothing items that we consider part of the uniform that people wear as civilian attire all the time, to include BDU shirts (without patches or grade insignia), BDU pants, BDU hats and combat boots, to name a few. The rule of thumb is that if it looks like a CAP uniform or it identifies you in any way to CAP, then you shouldn't be wearing it with civilian clothes or outside official CAP functions, to include transportation to and from the meeting or activity.

My advice to you is that you don't wear the BDU hat with civilian clothes. There are other hats of similar style that are clearly not part of any uniform and that would be more appropriate to wear. That would prevent you from wearing your uniform improperly or even giving the appearance that you are.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

+2

But I do wear a BDU cap with the USMC EGA on it mostly when I am fishing. It is lobster season and if I do not catch any bugs, at least I can brag about my military service   ;)

Critical AOA

I frequently wear the gray pants that I wear with my blue polo or white aviator with civilan clothes. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

a2capt

Storm Chaser

Quote from: a2capt on October 07, 2013, 04:19:16 AM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 07, 2013, 12:25:40 AMI frequently wear the gray pants..
.. the un-uniform part. :)

That's true; wearing the gray pants is not the same as wearing uniform items with civilian clothes. I actually do that when I have a meeting right after work, with no time to change. It's easy to swap polos and be in a CAP uniform. Now, wearing the CAP golf shirt with jeans would be a whole nother story.

NIN

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 07, 2013, 12:25:40 AM
I frequently wear the gray pants that I wear with my blue polo or white aviator with civilan clothes.

Scofflaw!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

AlphaSigOU

Send him to the gulag!  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MacGruff

I must admit that I am also guilty of this transgression...     ::)

I will wear the grey pants with a different shirt when I leave to go to work in the morning. I leave directly from work to get to the squadron meetings, so the last work activity of the day is to change shirts so as to get "in uniform" before I take off for the meeting.

I suppose I should hang my head down in shame. Eh?    :-[

Eclipse

You have all been reported to the "Olympic Judges and Realtors Association Of North America".

Expect a C&D shortly (It'll look like junk mail trying to sell your house, but none the less, TAKE HEED!).

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

I wear my gray pants to non-CAP functions all the time, since it's actually part of my (paying) work outfit that I wear after my CAP meeting. 

Personally, I would say that as long as it doesn't have any CAP insignia or grade insignia, it's probably safe to do so, especially with the corporate uniforms (i.e. the white aviator shirt with all CAP stuff taken off).  The exception to this would be the USAF blues.  Unless you're "CAP on-duty" or within the hour grace period to get to and from that point, I would say "no".

RiverAux

The one caveat that I might suggest to the general idea that it is ok to wear CAP uniform items at non-CAP events if they don't have any CAP-related stuff on them (such as BDU pants) is if the items were issued to you by CAP.  If CAP loaned you those BDU pants, then you probably shouldn't wear them except for CAP duty as that would be putting extra wear on an item that may be returned to CAP for re-issuance in the future. 

Critical AOA

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 07, 2013, 03:38:11 PM

Send him to the gulag!  ;D

Why not, my gray pants would look nice with a prison striped shirt.  They are truly multipurpose and multi organizational.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw