letter from Major General Carr

Started by umpirecali, December 17, 2012, 07:02:48 PM

umpirecali

As I'm sure many of have also received this letter via email.  I wanted to get your take on this since people here certain get excited about uniforms.  Does this mean our uniforms will be changing,  that they are just updating 39-1, or are they just updating the process of recommending changes?

MEMORANDUM FOR ALL CAP UNIT COMMANDERS
SUBJECT: Interim Change Letter - Changes to CAPM 39-1
1. CAPM 39-1 is currently undergoing a major revision. Until this revision is complete the
Interim Change Letter dated 12 March 2012 and this letter will remain in effect.
2. Paragraph 1-4, How to Recommend Changes to the Uniform, is changed to read as follows:
New or changed uniform items may not be authorized without approval of the National
Commander (except as specified in Table 1-3 of this manual). Unit commanders will forward
recommended changes to the uniform, insignia, accessories, or related items, from any CAP
member, through channels to National Headquarters/DP. The chain of command is the sole
vehicle for communicating proposed uniform changes to National Headquarters/DP; any
commander in the chain can choose not to forward recommendations.
Once received by National Headquarters/DP, recommended changes will be forwarded to the
National Uniform Committee for review and approval. Changes approved by the National
Uniform Committee will then be forwarded to the National Commander with a recommended
implementation process. The National Commander will then review the recommended change.
Changes approved by the National Commander will be returned to National Headquarters/DP for
announcement and implementation. Implementation of approved changes to USAF-style
uniforms will be held in abeyance until the recommended change is approved by the proper
USAF authority.
3. Effective 1 October 2012 the National Board (NB) and National Executive Committee (NEC)
badges may no longer be awarded. Members who served on these two bodies prior to 1 October
2012 may continue to wear the badges as previously authorized. Individuals serving as members
of CAP Senior Advisory Group (CSAG) or the CAP Command Council will wear the
appropriate badge as shown in the attached photo. Wear instructions for the CSAG and
Command Council badges will follow the policy previously established for the NEC and NB
badges.
CHARLES L. CARR, JR.
Major General, CAP
National Commander
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Phillip

I don't see this as an indication that uniform changes are imminent. 

I see this as an indication that finally, NHQ has taken on the task of getting 39-1 cleaned up and up to date.  Something that has been a looooooooong time coming.   :clap:
Captain

Al Sayre

CAPM 39-1 has been undergoing a major revision for several years...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

a2capt

Exactly. So.. yeah. At least a cleaned up piece of text will do. So you don't have to "read backwards" to find what's right first, and what else you're missing after.

SAREXinNY

??

I'm new, and I'm confused.

Are we getting new uniforms?  I just joined and purchased a couple of hundred dollars worth of BDUs, boots, covers, patches, sewing work, name tapes, and a dozen of other items.

Second question...assuming a uniform change is imminent, how much time is typically given to transition to the new uniform?  I know there is typically a period of time where you can wear the old stuff or the new stuff...is that typically 3 months?  9 months?  a year?

Thanks for the clarification.

Pylon

Sorry if you're confused; confusion over uniforms is an issue CAP is trying to resolve.

The change to CAPM 39-1 is largely an update to bring the dated manual up to speed with how we wear our uniforms today.  Things that have been changed and added in the last number of years.  These changes (the adding of flag patches on BDUs, grade insignia on both sides of BDU collars, removal of wing patches from blues/making them optional for BDUs, adding certain special patches and specialty insignia, addition of cadet & SM officer grade to the BDU hat, flight suit breast patch changes, etc.) have already happened.  But the uniform manual itself has not caught up to these changes.  The changes have been and are currently detailed in a whole set of individual change notices (Interm Change Letters) which make it difficult for new members especially to figure out what's what when it comes to uniforms.

The issue of CAP transitioning from BDU's to the digital Air Force ABU's has been on the table for some time.  It's also been discussed at length around the forum and I don't want to get into that here; there's already threads for that.  That being said, there is a proposal being staffed but approval is not going to happen right away.  If and when approval to wear ABUs comes, it won't be an overnight change.  In the past, Civil Air Patrol has usually given several years (I'd say the average is around 3 years) for members to make these types of major transitions.   So the BDU uniform you just purchased will in almost all likelihood be good for years to come.

Welcome to CAP!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Private Investigator

Rick-DEL

As mentioned by Pylon....any transition (Phase-In / Phase-Out) takes years. I remember being in the USAF when we cutover from the Olive Drabs to the BDU's (showing my age) and that transition was about two years in itself. So, one can certainly almost double that time for CAP. Also mentioned on many threads on these foums, the cutover most likely has been discussed many times by those above our pay grade. IMHO I would think there would be some traction...but that is probably not the case. I know in my locality, the local Army/Navy Surplus store where our cadets/seniors get their uniforms, supplies are running low for any piece that remains in decent shape. Hunting is big here...and used BDU's go quick. The ones they have remaining are usually beat up, faded, or have way too much patch reminents to be usable for a cadet that wants to pass a uniform inspection. I am lucky enough to have my USAF ones. In addition, the store has started moving out the supply and re-stocking with ABUs.

Getting back to the focal point, this letter is basically stating a clean-up to 39-1 is in order, as noted by posters in this thread.

Welcome to CAP, have fun, and enjoy all of the experiences.

SAREXinNY

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Having no prior military experience, the various politics/policies/requirements are a bit foreign to me.  I can honestly say, in my short few months that I've been a member, I've been amazed at the quality of my fellow members.  It's rare to find people so dedicated to serving (especially in a volunteer capacity).  It's an honor to be a part of this organization.

Thank you all for the help!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pylon on December 18, 2012, 12:44:06 AM
Sorry if you're confused; confusion over uniforms is an issue CAP is trying to resolve.

And has been for the past 20-odd years without success.

I think that the General's directive is specifying how changes to the uniform are to be submitted; i.e., use the chain, no sending designs to NHQ without it having gone through Squadron/Group/Wing/Region level first.

SAREXinNY: Don't worry, the uniforms you've got will be GTG for some time! :)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jimmydeanno

Clarification for new governance model, perhaps.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Blues Brother

Quote from: SAREXinNY on December 19, 2012, 02:45:14 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Having no prior military experience, the various politics/policies/requirements are a bit foreign to me.  I can honestly say, in my short few months that I've been a member, I've been amazed at the quality of my fellow members.  It's rare to find people so dedicated to serving (especially in a volunteer capacity).  It's an honor to be a part of this organization.

Thank you all for the help!
I agree.  I am a newbie too, and I find the CAP members I have met are excellent people, and its a great organization. Lots of knowledge and experience and they are willing to share it and help out green horns like me.  But I will admit that the politics/policies/requirements sometimes wears thin on me.  I dont have alot of patience for it, so I just do my best to deal with it.    I dont come from a military background either, and I am just not used to it.  I understand the importance of safety completely, and I dont question any of that, but some of the other things I find so unnecessary.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Blues Brother on December 20, 2012, 12:27:33 PM
But I will admit that the politics/policies/requirements sometimes wears thin on me.  I dont have alot of patience for it, so I just do my best to deal with it.    I dont come from a military background either, and I am just not used to it.  I understand the importance of safety completely, and I dont question any of that, but some of the other things I find so unnecessary.

After almost 20 years in CAP, I find the politics to be more of a PITA than when I first joined.  I don't think that's because the politics themselves are any better or worse, but it's because I've unfortunately got "better acquainted"  >:( with them, kind of like the more time you spend in the latrine, the more acquainted you become with the stench.

I have absolutely zero patience/tolerance for "office politics;" that's a strength or a weakness depending on one's point of view.  That is probably the reason why I have never served above the squadron level.  The higher up you go in CAP, unfortunately the more pervasive the politics tend to be.  I'd prefer not to put myself in that situation rather than get put in the position to have to "kiss up to get ahead."

As to the requirements...yes, safety is Job 1, for both the Air Force and us, and as a former safety officer I know how difficult that can be.

As to the paperwork and other associated headaches...a former supervisor of mine told me that in the AF (and the military in general) a reg is usually put in place because someone has messed-up in that situation in the past and the powers-that-be think writing a reg will solve it. 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011