Improved Golf Shirt

Started by JROB, October 15, 2012, 04:03:14 PM

commando1

Non Timebo Mala

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on November 12, 2012, 01:21:16 AM
A non-citizen can join the military...it's actually just about the quickest way to get a green card out there.

It's not the reverse in your Canadian homeland, though.

About twenty years ago I was seriously contemplating a move to Canada.  However, unless you have immediate family there/written and confirmed job offer/are a citizen of another Commonwealth country, the hoops to jump through are considerable (a "points" system assessing your suitability for Canadian residency).

I even did some research about joining the Canadian Armed Forces.  I was told that I would have to get Canadian residency first, and then I could be eligible to join...but until I became a Canadian citizen, I could only join as a reservist, and could not be commissioned.  I was also cautioned that it could cause citizenship issues in the U.S., since I would be taking an oath to a foreign monarch.  Unfortunately there were no "Air Command" reserve units near where I was planning to live (London, Ontario), so I would have to join a "Maritime Command" or "Land Force Command" unit.

However, the thought of possibly being rendered stateless was a genuine dissuading factor.

Ah, well...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

As it should be. You choose to serve in defense of another nation? Citizenship lost. Vote in another country? Etc.

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 27, 2012, 02:49:57 PM
As it should be. You choose to serve in defense of another nation? Citizenship lost. Vote in another country? Etc.
Not under US law.

Serving in another country's armed forces, specifically in an enlisted capacity, will not cost you US citizenship, unless there is a state of belligerence between the US and that other country.  Think of the number of Americans who served with the RAF and RCAF in World War 2 before Pearl Harbor.  Conversely, a lot of Canadians served in the US military during Vietnam (actually more than making up for any deserters who headed north).

Serving as an officer is more of a grey area in such matters.

Voting in another country most certainly does not imperil your US citizenship.  Serving in an elective office may, but that's not entirely clear either.

Майор Хаткевич

It's not, but it really should be.

I hold a dual citizenship - I guess. My nation of origin does not recognize dual citizenship, but I'm not sure they even know I'm a US Citizen now.

Then again, according to this, I may now qualify for dual citizenship.

But more to the point, I live in the US. I have ties to the US. I was educated in the US. I am in the selective service system in the US. I am working in the US. I vote only in US elections. I plan on living in the US for the long foreseeable future.

I am basically in no way fulfilling the duties of one nation, but am doing so in the other.  I was quite ready to disobey my origin nation had they tried to send me draft papers, but they went to an all volunteer service before my 18th B-day (I'm not even sure how they do their draft, but you know).

This isn't a facebook group or fan page. This is a country, a place to live, and a place to care for. Picking and choosing between two is just lame.

Flying Pig

I have a couple cops I work with who left the US and joined the French Foreign Legion, then after a few years returned back the US and became cops. One also enlisted in the USMC Reserves after coming back. Neither one ever lost their citizenship and are about as 100% American as you can get.  Basically, in 1993 te US military wasnt doing much, and they really wanted to blow stuff up and shoot people.  Hello one way ticket to Paris!

JeffDG

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 27, 2012, 04:31:58 PM
This isn't a facebook group or fan page. This is a country, a place to live, and a place to care for. Picking and choosing between two is just lame.
I am a dual citizen right now (Canada and Ireland to be specific).

I don't have to "pick and choose".  There is no incompatibility in my responsibilities or duties of either nation as a citizen thereof.  Neither of them permit me to vote as a non-resident, so I am an entirely disenfranchised person at the moment.  No biggie, I've made a conscious decision to live here, and that decision has consequences.

SARDOC

I know a number of American Citizens have kept their citizenship after serving in the Israeli Defense Force or even the French Foreign Legion among many, many others.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SARDOC on November 27, 2012, 05:50:39 PM
I know a number of American Citizens have kept their citizenship after serving in the Israeli Defense Force or even the French Foreign Legion among many, many others.

It's allowed. I just personally believe it to be silly.

SARDOC

....Deleted...Posted in the wrong thread by accident.  Not quite sure how that happened.

Stonewall

Quote from: commando1 on November 27, 2012, 12:44:45 AM
They come in charcoal  >:D
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/511-Taclite-Jean-Cut-Pant.html

The best of both worlds. That's the concept behind the new Taclite Jean-cut Pants. The 5.11 Tactical® design team figured out a way to bring you the top features of your favorite jeans AND your best duty-ready tactical pants.

Start with the 5+4 pocket design. It adds 4 multi-use pockets that can store magazines, tools, cell phones or knives in addition to the classic 5-pocket jean style. Made of 5.11's popular 6.14 oz. polyester / cotton ripstop, this pair is lightweight, breathable and low maintenance. Treated with Teflon® for stain, wrinkle and fade resistance... perfect for wash and wear performance.

Discreet reinforced knee panels add durability for range utility and the diamond gusset improves range of motion. The Taclite Jean has a relaxed fit with a fixed waistband (no elastic) and a straight leg that easily fits over boots. So if you are looking for a training pant that's professional-looking but not too "tactical", the Taclite Jean-cut hits the nail on the head. Rugged construction with YKK® zippers and Prym® snaps. Machine wash / dry. Imported.

Blue 5.11 polo with CAP seal?  5.11 gray pants?  What's not to love?

Make sure the CAP seal is good to go on colors and carry on.
Serving since 1987.

Phillip

I like that polo.   :clap:   I've never liked the current offering, especially after it's been washed a couple of times.

The pants look great and it would be nice to have a standardized offering for the Corporate alternatives.  However, as much as I see these pants working for the polo, they'd look really bad with the blazer combo and aviator shirt versions.
Captain

Eclipse

I don't think anyone is suggesting tac pants be worn with the whites or blazer.

Those indicated above fall well within the prescription with no changes needed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

West MI-CAP-Ret

Looks great.  Don't think Vanguard will do much about this.  However, if some figures on making a bunch of these shirts for profit, then problems will arise.

Having said that, digitizing logos are expensive.  Shame not to try to regroup some funds by selling shirts to us...
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

West MI-CAP-Ret

I just went to their web site.  How do I know I'm getting the same one?  Do we have an item number to make sure?
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Eclipse

Quote from: Lab Lover on November 28, 2012, 05:55:21 AMdigitizing logos are expensive. 

Not anymore.  Vendors with modern machinery can can go right from raster-base images to embroidery without having to convert to vector
or complicated setups, the only thing manual, in some cases, is defining the colors, everything else is done in software.  A 16-needle machine with current software can do the average CAP patch or insignia in a single pass.

A couple of years ago I was real close to buying one of these systems with another CAP bud, the pretense was as a side business, but we
realized we'd spend all out time doing free stuff for our friends and never make any money.

These days, if a vendor is charging mush of anything fr setup, its time to find a new vendor.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

^^^Agreed.  If you find someone charging a ton of money to digitize the image you need to find a new vendor.  You can email an Image to Zazzle.com and they can put it on just about anything. 

arajca

The cost depends on who will own the image afterward. Most of the free or super cheap ones retain ownership of the image. Most of the ones that charge $35 or so, you own the image. Additionally, if you already have the appropriate embroidery image file, many higher end shops will actually be cheaper than the free ones.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on November 28, 2012, 02:48:35 PM
The cost depends on who will own the image afterward. Most of the free or super cheap ones retain ownership of the image. Most of the ones that charge $35 or so, you own the image. Additionally, if you already have the appropriate embroidery image file, many higher end shops will actually be cheaper than the free ones.

The image or the machine setup?  No way I'm giving up rights to the image just to have patches made.

"That Others May Zoom"