What uniform do most seniors wear at your squadron meetings?

Started by RiverAux, October 01, 2012, 03:39:09 AM

What uniform do most seniors wear to regular squadron meetings?

Air Force style uniform (BDU/flight suit/service dress)
CAP style uniform (Blue BDU/Blue flight suit/gray pant & white shirt combo
Civilian "golf shirt" "uniform" (gray pants/blue golf shirt)
Blazer

RiverAux

Okay, while this will basically be as unscientific as any other poll on CAP Talk, lets give it a shot. 

At least in my wing most seniors are going to be wearing the golf shirt uniform at squadron meetings.  Other uniforms may come out of the closet for flying, ES activities, wing level events, etc. but lets leave them aside for the moment.

I know that some cadet and composite units have "formal" nights where the service dress or equivalent are supposed to be worn, but lets also leave them aside for the purpose of this poll.

So, if a visitor walked into your squadron on a normal meeting night, what uniform would the majority of senior members be wearing?

Garibaldi

Quote from: RiverAux on October 01, 2012, 03:39:09 AM
Okay, while this will basically be as unscientific as any other poll on CAP Talk, lets give it a shot. 

At least in my wing most seniors are going to be wearing the golf shirt uniform at squadron meetings.  Other uniforms may come out of the closet for flying, ES activities, wing level events, etc. but lets leave them aside for the moment.

I know that some cadet and composite units have "formal" nights where the service dress or equivalent are supposed to be worn, but lets also leave them aside for the purpose of this poll.

So, if a visitor walked into your squadron on a normal meeting night, what uniform would the majority of senior members be wearing?

At the risk of repeating what I said in a related post, I wear my BDUs to every meeting where the Blues are contraindicated. I'm the ES officer and I feel that this is my duty uniform. I also don't like the "feel" of the golf shirt. I bought one, wore it three times, and I'm resisting wearing it ever again unless forced. Most of the seniors wear the golf shirt to every meeting for whatever reason. I just grew up with wearing the AF style uniform and probably won't stop unless age or health stops me.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

The CyBorg is destroyed

My squadron?

Squadron CC: usually the AF blue uniform, occasionally the grey/whites.

Others tend to use the grey/whites, mostly because of grooming, H/W issues, but those who can usually wear the AF blues.

The only time I really see the golf shirt is in the summer when it's stinkin' hot, and even then it's not universal.  I don't own one.

I usually wear (dependent on weather) BBDU's/blue flight suit.  When something a little more dressy is required, it's usually AF short-sleeved blues.  I have a set of G/W that I wear when my blue uniform needs a trip to the drycleaners.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

spacecommand

If a visitor walked into our unit, it would depend on which room they walked into. If you walk into the side where the seniors (mostly air crew discussions) are meeting, then it's mostly polo.

If you walked into the side where the cadets and senior members working with the cadets are meeting, it's a mix of bdus/ blue bdus/whites and blues.

It is not written anywhere, and there is no order or requirement, it "just happens" that virtually all the senior members that are working with the cadets (and not in the other side of the wall) aren't wearing polo's when working with the cadet side of the house.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but tends to be more rare for the senior members on the cadet side of the house at our unit. 

Abby.L

Well, in my squadron, almost everyone wears the CAP Corporates with the exception of the squadron commander. Also, one of the SMs wears G/Ws, then BDUs with no explanation. We have a new senior member coming in who's AD Air Force, so I can imagine that he'll be wearing Air Force style(Boy, will the BDUs be a shock!).

So, out of 11 seniors, only 2 of them are full time Air Force uniform.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

coudano

we 100% senior members wear golf shirts when the cadets are in BDU's and wear aviator shirt combo when the cadets are in blues.

composite squadron with active CP, senior side, airplane/aircrew, and ground team

spacecommand

Quote from: Levilockling on October 01, 2012, 04:58:28 AM
Well, in my squadron, almost everyone wears the CAP Corporates with the exception of the squadron commander. Also, one of the SMs wears G/Ws, then BDUs with no explanation. We have a new senior member coming in who's AD Air Force, so I can imagine that he'll be wearing Air Force style(Boy, will the BDUs be a shock!).

When you say "CAP corporates" do you mean "golf shirt" or a combination of other "corporate" uniforms (eg gray white, blue bdu etc)

PHall

I'm in a Cadet Squadron. The senior members who meet the weight and grooming standards usually wear the same uniform the cadets are wearing.
(BDU's weeks 1 & 2, PT uniform week 3 and blues for week 4)
The folks who don't meet the standards usually wear the golf shirt combo the first three weeks and the gray and white aviator shirt combo the fourth week.
Seems to work for us...

Abby.L

Quote from: spacecommand on October 01, 2012, 05:04:24 AM
Quote from: Levilockling on October 01, 2012, 04:58:28 AM

When you say "CAP corporates" do you mean "golf shirt" or a combination of other "corporate" uniforms (eg gray white, blue bdu etc)
I mean both. Really, at our squadron, the difference between the golf shirt or G/W and BBDU is non-existant.

It's BDU night, and you're in the golf shirt while the SM over there is in BBDUs? Cool story.
It's fancy night, and you're in golf shirt while the SM over there is in the Aviator combo? Cool story.

However, I just remembered that we have a SM who wears the golf shirt exclusively. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything else.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

wuzafuzz

My squadron is a composite squadron and uniform wear is different on the two sides of the house.  The seniors and cadets meet seperately due to space issues (154 members).  The senior side is heavy on the polo shirt uniform.  Probably 99% of the time.  In fact the only time I've seen any other uniform on the senior side is visitors from other squadrons, or seniors who are working with cadets that night.

Our cadet program wears BDU's most nights, with occasional blues nights.  The cadet programs seniors match the cadet attire for the meeting.

Our senior members wear other uniforms as needed outside of meetings.  Dress for the day. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

umpirecali

There wasn't any option for half and half.

On a given night, we'll have between 15-20 senior members present.
8-10 in golf shirt
2-3 in g/w
And about 4-5 in AF style

Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am a firm believer that CAP members should be able to wear the authorised uniform of their choice, as long as the following conditions apply:

It is worn correctly
Clean and in good repair
Fits operational requirements; i.e., mess dress is not so good for ground team and BDU's are not so good for a National Conference

I believe even more that a CAP member must not be shamed for his/her choice of uniform.

And, yes, that includes the blazer that I personally think looks out-of-place in CAP.

I remember showing up at my first meeting of a flying club senior squadron in the short-sleeved blues and being the only one in that order of dress, not to mention one of the only ones actually wearing an authorised uniform (there were a few golf shirts with various trousers, green flight suits with no insignia except nameplate, etc.).  I was even asked "why do you bother to wear that when it's easier just to wear a golf shirt?"

The squadron commander was a good egg (things went down after he transferred) but even he had a similar attitude...he would only wear the G/W as a "basic" uniform.  I saw him wear the AF blue short-sleeved rig one time for some sort of meeting with the LO (I think) and he even told the squadron, "Don't get the idea that I wear this often.  This is an Air Force uniform and I'm not in the Air Force."

Another of my colleagues told me "We shouldn't even be wearing the Air Force uniform.  We have our own."

I was in full compliance with 39-1, but stuck out like a sore thumb when I didn't need to.  I was not going to give up wearing a uniform I was proud of.

As well, someone who chooses to wear one of the CAP alternative (I hate that term "distinctive" because of the way it's been abused in CAP) uniforms must not get similar treatment from members of a unit that choose to wear the AF uniform.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

There are usually two or three of us around at cadet meetings, and it's either all of us wearing AF uniforms, or one in Polo. On senior meetings about fifty percent are in AF and corporates, a few are in Polo.
But most of our senior membership is over 60.

Devil Doc

We are an Composite Squadron, I wear my G/W at the First Meeting, Civies Second Meeting, BDUs third and fourth meeting.

Second meeting is cadet PT night. So, the majority of of unit is in PT gear, most SM are in Polo. We do not have seperate rooms per se since we are in an hangar. I wish we can be separated so when the cadets are doing there shin dig we can do our SM meeting  without overhearing each other.

I wear the BDU's, not the BBDU's.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

MIKE

I thought you said you were too heavy to wear AF-style?  If so, you should not be in BDUs.
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: umpirecali on October 01, 2012, 01:34:19 PM
There wasn't any option for half and half.

On a given night, we'll have between 15-20 senior members present.
8-10 in golf shirt
2-3 in g/w
And about 4-5 in AF style

The majority of the people in this photo are in "USAF-Style" uniforms.  Both the flight suit and the BDU fall into that category.

I was about to compliment the seniors on proper uniform wear, and then I noticed the "issues".
Flightsuit second from left - both the MAJCOM and the nametag are incorrect, no idea what third from the right is wearing, but it isn't an approved
golf shirt.  Also, 101 cards are not part of the uniform and should not be worn unless you're involved in ES - a lot of members view them like
a generalized ID card, to be worn all the time, and that is not correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Well we just had a lengthy debate on the polo shirt (http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=16087.0), I'm not debating the polo shirt, but I really wonder how many folks that just wear the golf shirt really know that it's not the basic minimal corporate uniform they are required to own (I'm speaking in general, not about the folks here directly on Captalk).  I think there are some who believe that the golf shirt IS the basic minimal uniform (again maybe not on this board). 

Like you mentioned above, I too have heard personally and from some members telling new members "don't bother just get the golf shirt" or "just throw on a golf shirt, that's all you need", without teaching new members the regulations that the golf shirt isn't the required basic minimal uniform (or maybe the folks telling that info themselves believe that the golf shirt is the basic uniform too).  Again not debating whether which is "better" or not, just what I've read from some posters in the past, and personally from listening to other members I've personally ran into.  It might be totally different on your end of the spectrum as we've seen here already every single unit is different.

Garibaldi

Looks like umpirecali has about the same turnout as we do, 50-60 cadets and anywhere from 10-15 seniors.

A side note: most of us have to wear an ID for work, so we have our CAPID clipped to our uniforms out of habit. Makes it easier for people to see, especially if you're on a military base or facility, instead of fumbling around for your wallet or in one of your 10 pockets. The 101 card, at least mine, is behind my ID, and like I said, takes 2 seconds to flip my ID up so they can see it when I check in at Mission Base, or unclip it and hand it over.

I'm sure Eclipse will take issue with that  >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

"Most of us"?

There's nothing wrong with having all your ID's together, I do it, too, it's just not necessary to have it worn all the time like
you were on NCIS.  The majority of members never get near a base, let alone meet on one.

In most cases, newer members wear the 101 all the time to show off their "ES-ness", until someone at an encampment,
etc., tells them to knock it off and you never see it again.

I guarantee you that, regardless of where units meet, no one is checking to insure you have an ID displayed, nor challenging those
without one.  There isn't even a specific reg that requires you have the ID on your person during routine activities.
(Go ahead, check, we'll wait...)

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Surprising results of the poll so far.  It's not at all what I see when our seniors meet.  Almost everyone, without exception wears either the blue polo or civilian clothes if they're pressed for time.  A few will show up in work uniforms.  Very few people ever wear any other uniform.

But I suspect the difference would be the difference between cadets and seniors.