Changing Senior Member Grade Insignias?

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 23, 2012, 02:05:38 PM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 23, 2012, 02:05:38 PM
As we all know CAP grade worn by adults and teenagers is internal to Civil Air Patrol and has no effect on other military organizations.

What I think would be a good idea would be to have all senior member insignia be the same as cadets, with the only exception that the color would be a bright red.     The CAP grey should boards would still be utilized but the metal insignia could be changed out. 

As far as the one and two star generals, those stars would also be bright red in color.

This would ensure a very clear differentiation of CAP grade for adults wearing any CAP AF/corporate uniform :angel:
RM     
In retrospect the bright red color senior member grades might be a bit too much.  So perhaps utilized a gold color (like the one used for the 2nd Lt bars on the AF officer grades) but still utilizing the cadet officer grade pins, and of course the one & two stars would be gold also.  That would be bit more conservative, and leave the potential for bright red being utilized on other aspects of the uniforms.

I might add that the grades pins could also be worn on the golf shirt and on the field/utility uniforms cloth  -- no clth grades would need to be worn.

So we would have everyone on the same observed internal grade structure only differentiated by color.   Thus all of CAP's uniforms would have more of a unique look, especially for adults.
RM   

Cool Mace

Why I are guys trying to fix something that isn't broke?

If you don't like the ranks, wear the polo combo and let it be. There's no reason to change are grade structure. It's what the AF gave us, so we use it.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 26, 2012, 05:18:15 PM

If you don't like the ranks, wear the polo combo and let it be. There's no reason to change are grade structure. It's what the AF gave us, so we use it.

He doesn't care because he doesn't think we rate such a distinction of the grade insignia of the Real Military.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Cool Mace

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 26, 2012, 05:23:14 PM

He doesn't care because he doesn't think we rate such a distinction of the grade insignia of the Real Military.

True. But yet again, CAPTalk has fallen into his trap by continuing this discussion. I move to end this thread.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Angus

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 26, 2012, 05:05:05 PM
As we all know CAP grade worn by adults and teenagers is internal to Civil Air Patrol and has no effect on other military organizations.

What I think would be a good idea would be to have all senior member insignia be the same as cadets, with the only exception that the color would be a bright red.     The CAP grey should boards would still be utilized but the metal insignia could be changed out. 

As far as the one and two star generals, those stars would also be bright red in color.

This would ensure a very clear differentiation of CAP grade for adults wearing any CAP AF/corporate uniform :angel:
RM     
In retrospect the bright red color senior member grades might be a bit too much.  So perhaps utilized a gold color (like the one used for the 2nd Lt bars on the AF officer grades) but still utilizing the cadet officer grade pins, and of course the one & two stars would be gold also.  That would be bit more conservative, and leave the potential for bright red being utilized on other aspects of the uniforms.

I might add that the grades pins could also be worn on the golf shirt and on the field/utility uniforms cloth  -- no clth grades would need to be worn.

So we would have everyone on the same observed internal grade structure only differentiated by color.   Thus all of CAP's uniforms would have more of a unique look, especially for adults.
RM   

You do know that the AF has no problem with the current grade structure they have let us use.  They are fine with us using what we've been using.  Right now you're talking about making major changes to uniforms and it's starting to sound like the days of he who shall not be named. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

jeders

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 26, 2012, 05:25:10 PM

True. But yet again, CAPTalk has fallen into his trap by continuing this discussion. I move to end this thread.
Seconded.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Angus

Quote from: jeders on September 26, 2012, 05:33:48 PM
Quote from: Cool Mace on September 26, 2012, 05:25:10 PM

Seconded.

While i am one of those that fell into the trap, I"m going to ask the Mods maybe it's time to lock this thread?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

jeders

Quote from: Angus on September 26, 2012, 05:34:59 PM
While i am one of those that fell into the trap, I"m going to ask the Mods maybe it's time to lock this thread?

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Garibaldi

RM     

RM   

I think we should modify this arrangement to the following: I think a silver and gold arrangement would be in order, with perhaps a gold bar signifying a second lieutenant and maybe a silver bar representing a first lieutenant, any perhaps...now stay with me here, this is a radical concept I'm trying out here...two silver bars joined by two smaller bars perpendicular to the larger ones signifying a captain. For major, maybe a gold oak leaf (or for those Canadians out there a maple leaf), and silver for a lieutenant colonel. And for wing kings and region rulers, perhaps some kind of silver bird, like the one COL Potter wears on M*A*S*H? Maybe a silver star or two for the National CC?

The reason for this is twofold:

1. Tradition
2. Ease of identification among the members of our parent service.

We could even wear them on our collars and hats like the real military! Except, maybe, the grade insignia would be on a blue background?

OH! OH! and grey epaulet sleeves for our blue uniforms and white aviator shirts.

I realize this would mean a lot of change but I think it would enhance overall uniformity.

Thoughts?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

a2capt

Quote from: ol'fido on September 26, 2012, 02:58:04 AMOf course, you have all seen how he got this ball of excrement rolling with one post and never posted again in the thread to this point.
Gone with the Wynd..

vento

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 26, 2012, 04:16:15 PM
Angus-

Walkman did not ask what colors cadets and seniors would have, which is what you answered.

Walkman asked "how do we distinguish between 2nd Lts and 1st Lts," and "how do we distinguish between Majors and Lt Cols."

2nd lts and Majors are yellow, and 1st Lts and Lt Cols are white. If all are red, how can we?

I can only think RM may be thinking it is possible if using different shades of red. For 2nd Lts, a red that is almost pink, and for 1st Lts a shade of red in the fuchsia scale...

Flyer

Actually Angus did answer the question. Cadet ranks have only one color, there is no need to differentiate between Gold and Silver. 2d Lt has one cookie and 1st Lt has two cookies. Maj has one diamond and Lt Col two diamonds... not that I agree with SM wearing cadet ranks in red or anything...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadet_grades_and_insignia_of_the_Civil_Air_Patrol

ColonelJack

RM     

RM   

Why?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ol'fido

You will also note that when he finally does post again, he acts as if nothing negative has been said about his goofy proposal.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ol'fido on September 26, 2012, 09:49:57 PM
You will also note that when he finally does post again, he acts as if nothing negative has been said about his goofy proposal.

A bit like someone walking into a room, dropping a really horrid fart, leaving and coming back as if nothing's happened.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 26, 2012, 05:40:02 PM
I think we should modify this arrangement to the following: I think a silver and gold arrangement would be in order, with perhaps a gold bar signifying a second lieutenant and maybe a silver bar representing a first lieutenant, any perhaps...now stay with me here, this is a radical concept I'm trying out here...two silver bars joined by two smaller bars perpendicular to the larger ones signifying a captain. For major, maybe a gold oak leaf (or for those Canadians out there a maple leaf), and silver for a lieutenant colonel. And for wing kings and region rulers, perhaps some kind of silver bird, like the one COL Potter wears on M*A*S*H? Maybe a silver star or two for the National CC?

The reason for this is twofold:

1. Tradition
2. Ease of identification among the members of our parent service.

We could even wear them on our collars and hats like the real military! Except, maybe, the grade insignia would be on a blue background?

OH! OH! and grey epaulet sleeves for our blue uniforms and white aviator shirts.

I realize this would mean a lot of change but I think it would enhance overall uniformity.

Thoughts?

Hey, I think you're on to something there!!!  Let's run it up the flagpole and see who salutes!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

a2capt

There's always dropping by a Westover meeting and asking the CC about their PAO and his motives ... or maybe past PAO now?

RADIOMAN015

So I guess no one on CAPTALK can make a proposal and an adult conversation can take place ??? ???

Since we are all civilians a unique grade structure in my opinion would be easy to implement and for minimal cost the cadet officer ranks being painted gold (in lieu of silver) would work very well.

Now if you disagree, and offer your logical opinion as to why we shouldn't change to a CAP unique grade structure that's your opinion.

One never knows what will happen with Civil Air Patrol uniforms in the future :angel:
RM

jeders

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 27, 2012, 09:44:42 PM
So I guess no one on CAPTALK can make a proposal and an adult conversation can take place ??? ???

If you ever make a serious proposal that actually addresses a real problem, we'll gladly discuss it in an adult manner. But trolls get mocked and ridiculed.

QuoteSince we are all civilians a unique grade structure

We already have a unique structure that works.

Quotein my opinion

There's you're first mistake, thinking anyone shares your one of a kind point of view.

Quotewould be easy to implement and for minimal cost the cadet officer ranks being painted gold (in lieu of silver) would work very well.

Brand new rank would have to be designed, approved, and manufactured as it does not exist AT ALL outside of your weird little mind. This would not at all be easy and would in fact be quite expensive.

QuoteNow if you disagree, and offer your logical opinion as to why we shouldn't change to a CAP unique grade structure that's your opinion.

See above.

QuoteOne never knows what will happen with Civil Air Patrol uniforms in the future :angel:
RM

On this, sir, we agree. No one does know what will happen to the uniform of the United States Air Force Auxiliary.

68w20

We were having an adult conversation, you just weren't contributing.

Since we are all civilians a unique grade structure in my opinion would be easy to implement and for minimal cost the cadet officer ranks being painted gold (in lieu of silver) would work very well.

It could work very well, but with what purpose?

Now if you disagree, and offer your logical opinion as to why we shouldn't change to a CAP unique grade structure that's your opinion.
I do, and we shouldn't because it's logistically ridiculous to take such enormous measures for virtually no good reason.

Al Sayre

One never knows what will happen with Civil Air Patrol uniforms in the future :angel:
RM

When you show up on a military base, you are either going to be seen as some kind of foreign officer and get an "unwarranted" salute or have every service member walking by asking "WTF is that guy supposed to be?"  They understand our current grade structure because it mimics theirs.  Why confuse things more than they already are (in some peoples opinions)?
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787