How Many Ribbons?

Started by Ned, September 18, 2012, 04:20:10 PM

spacecommand

Off topic, but what were some of the other recommendations that were brought up to the uniform committee?  Was the CAP Recognition ribbon idea (similar to the Air Force Recognition ribbon) brought up?

flyboy53

Do we really have to have another ribbon that really doesn't mean a whole lot. While you're at it, why just the staff of a RSC or NSC and not include things like staff and directors of SLS, TCL or CLC. Seems like this ribbon promotes elitism.

Why not just consider a device on the appropriate ribbon...there are five to chose from.

jimmydeanno

Don't all ribbons promote some sort of elitism?  Afterall, they denote accomplishments that not everyone has done.  The RSC and NSC staffers are certainly going above and beyond.  SLS, CLC, and other lower level courses are run far more frequently and have far more spots available.  So, wouldn't the instructors at the top schools be theoretically elite?  The requirements for our highest program award are to attend one of those courses, and instruct at an educational activity.  Certainly, it could be argued that instructing something like RSC or NSC exceeds the normal instruction level that an SLS instructor would face.  Afterall, the SLS guy or CLC guy usually don't devote 10-12 days of their life to instructing at an SLS.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PA Guy

Why not include Cadet Officer School (COS) faculty to this proposal? The course is longer than NSC/RSC and arguably more academically challenging. IMO

Devil Doc

Ive only been an member for 3 months, I wouldn't mind more ribbons. I would also like to add: I believe we should have more specialty badges, but I digress. The chances of an Senior getting the life saving ribbon is probably an rare feat. CG AUX has 34 ribbons, NJROTC has 25 ribbons, not including the Specialty ribbons. AJROTC has 41 ribbons, AFJOTC has 44, and MCJROTC has 29. These may be innacurate since certain units has specialty ribbons.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

manfredvonrichthofen

Life saving is not that uncommon, I have one as well as three others in Indiana wing that I know of, but only one person that Iknow personally has the SMOV.

GroundHawg

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 19, 2012, 12:14:56 AM
Life saving is not that uncommon, I have one as well as three others in Indiana wing that I know of, but only one person that Iknow personally has the SMOV.

I have 2 and there are 2 other seniors in my squadron that have it as well. So its not really that uncommon. Ive only ever met one BMOV earner, and he was from PA Wing, and Ive heard that a cadet from my Wing (Kentucky) earned the SMOV fairly recently, but have never met him in person.

Ned, I will donate my entire CAP paycheck to you if you can get 39-1 updated.

Extremepredjudice

At the NCSA I went to, 2 people in my flight had life-saving.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Devil Doc

Really? That many lifesaving? I feel like an Idiot, lol. I mean ive saved numerous lives before but it was during combat. Im assuming the awards were for helping people in an wreck, or from downing i suppose. Anywho, im more impressed than i was before
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

jimmydeanno

They still aren't as prolific as the relatively few posters here seem to think.  I've been a member over 15 years and have only seen a handful of them, over several regions, wings, national activities, etc. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

Around 130 Silver Medals of Valor (about 20 still in CAP at this time)
Around 400 Bronze Medals of Valor (about 20 still in CAP at this time)

This is the ones we know about.

This is stretched over 50 years of course.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Devil Doc

If only I can trade my "V" for and CAP Equivilant.  Now does the act have to be done during CAP activities or as an civilian while coming home from work? Etc. Interesting Indeed.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 19, 2012, 01:55:23 AM
If only I can trade my "V" for and CAP Equivilant.  Now does the act have to be done during CAP activities or as an civilian while coming home from work? Etc. Interesting Indeed.

It does not have to be on duty.  It can be on your personal time.

Someone wrote a letter to my CC several years back for the Life Saving medal, but it was ignored.
Serving since 1987.

Devil Doc

Sweet, I learn new stuff everyday. Im not going to go out looking to save someone though, lol. If it comes to me. of course, I will uses my knowledge and ge the cob webs out of that part in my head.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on September 19, 2012, 02:15:23 AM
Sweet, I learn new stuff everyday. Im not going to go out looking to save someone though, lol. If it comes to me. of course, I will uses my knowledge and ge the cob webs out of that part in my head.

Yes, DO NOT become a "badge finder" or "PX Ranger".  Not cool, especially as a former military member and CAP Senior Member.  Set the example through deeds, not words or bling.  If you earn it, great.  If you seek it, not great.
Serving since 1987.

spacecommand

Doc the "lifesaving ribbon" comes in two formats.

The basic ribbon which one can be awarded for participation in a blood/organ donor transport mission.

Then there's the ribbon with a silver star attachment which is awarded for other actions in lifesaving (anything documented that saved or assisted in saving someone's life, doing CPR, the Heimlich maneuver on a choking person etc the list goes on). 

The lifesaving (the one other than a transport mission, which needs to be in a CAP capacity), bronze medal of valor and silver medal of valor awards do not need to be received while working in a CAP capacity.
You can read some citations for medal of valor awardees:

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/818/~/silver-and-bronze-medal-of-valor

Devil Doc

thanks Space, and Stonewall Im not an "Badge Finder" or an "PX Ranger" Plus, I cannot wear my Military ribbons on my CAP Uniform since I wear the G/W  :(. The cadets in my unit know I am former military, so that is respect enough.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Private Investigator

Quote from: caphistorian on September 19, 2012, 01:51:31 AM
Around 130 Silver Medals of Valor (about 20 still in CAP at this time)
Around 400 Bronze Medals of Valor (about 20 still in CAP at this time)

This is the ones we know about.

This is stretched over 50 years of course.

I know you are not counting Tony but I guess his two sidekicks are still in    ::)

Private Investigator

Quote from: Ned on September 18, 2012, 04:20:10 PM
The National Uniform Committee met last night, and we considered some items

I think the NUC should reconsider the wear of the Command badge for former Group and Squadron Commanders. I know it was disapproved because of the Command Service Ribbon but I for one perfer to wear badges instead of ribbons. Just a thought ...

abdsp51

Upon completion of BMT AF members may have earned 4 ribbons.