New senior member uniforms

Started by umpirecali, September 04, 2012, 04:19:19 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 14, 2012, 06:35:21 PMClear to me you are showing disdain for the G/Ws.

So lets not try to rewrite what you said. The "blazer" is not a uniform, and it's not a very subtle of saying you do not want to wear the G/Ws either.

The blazer is a uniform, and has been designated as such in the CAPM 39-1 since before I joined CAP. Check out Chapter 4 of the current version.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: tsrup on September 14, 2012, 08:48:58 PM
To insinuate that those that do wear anything other than a polo are "play[ing] dress-up" (his words not mine) is clearly inflammatory and disrespectful.

To insinuate that only the fat and the fuzzy wear corporate uniforms is clearly inflammatory and disrespectful. 

My comments never started out about the "superiority" of the polo shirt.  They are about my desire to no longer wear military style uniforms, even the G/W.  But almost everyone here seized upon the polo shirt, disreagarding that I intially mentioned that I wore either that or the blazer. 

What is this fixation with the polo shirt as the sign of the coming of the four horsemen?

I own the minimum required uniform, with all of the approriate badges, and ribbons, and accessories - I just choose not to wear it.

Does it limit my participation in CAP - not so far.  Could it?  Yes, its possible - but highly unlikely.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2012, 08:09:35 PM
While this has been a fun way to waste an afternoon waiting for the ceilings to lift, I must now go grab my golf shirt so that I can go fly some orientation flights.

Dang wx.  We're back to IFR.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 14, 2012, 09:08:11 PMThe blazer is a uniform, and has been designated as such in the CAPM 39-1 since before I joined CAP. Check out Chapter 4 of the current version.

Yes, it is, as is the golf shirt.

But to pretend that the blazer=service dress, or the golf shirt=whites or blues in appearance, utility, or bearing, is just silly.

Those people who do are trying to pretend we don't know what those uniforms look like, their evolution, or how they compare side-by-side.
Regs are regs, but common sense and reality have to play into this as well, and leaning on the text regarding equivalences won't endear you
to those who are supposed to be on the same team as you, especially if you ignore intent in the face of the letter.  There's always one
goober in every photo who "knew better".

When you're in the ICP, fine, a golf shirt works.  When you're training people for those positions, dealing with non-members or the media,
or generally want to look professional, it probably doesn't.

And the "my 101 card trumps all" is probably the silliest, most self-important, condescending thing I've heard on CT in a quite awhile.

"That Others May Zoom"

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Eclipse on September 14, 2012, 09:24:10 PM
... is probably the silliest, most self-important, condescending thing I've heard on CT in a quite awhile.

Other than the post being quoted.

AngelWings

Your
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2012, 09:13:43 PM
To insinuate that those that do wear anything other than a polo are "play[ing] dress-up" (his words not mine) is clearly inflammatory and disrespectful.

To insinuate that only the fat and the fuzzy wear corporate uniforms is clearly inflammatory and disrespectful. 

My comments never started out about the "superiority" of the polo shirt.  They are about my desire to no longer wear military style uniforms, even the G/W.  But almost everyone here seized upon the polo shirt, disreagarding that I intially mentioned that I wore either that or the blazer. 

What is this fixation with the polo shirt as the sign of the coming of the four horsemen?

I own the minimum required uniform, with all of the approriate badges, and ribbons, and accessories - I just choose not to wear it.

Does it limit my participation in CAP - not so far.  Could it?  Yes, its possible - but highly unlikely.
And when it does, you'll go home feeling proud that you stuck it to the man because you refused to wear a military looking uniform. You know, it is all about what you wear and completely not about what you're doing. You'll miss out on many things that require a military looking uniform.

You're a soldier, you've served your country. Why are you letting a piece of cloth be what defines your CAP experience? Why are you not letting YOU define your CAP experience. We've all had to wear clothing we did not want to before. Big whoop, get over it and enjoy CAP for everything.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
You have to make an individual choice in this matter after acquisition.  I've chosen to just say no.

I would wonder, then, even with someone who comes from a background of military service as you do (which is noble and honourable), what other CAP regs you might choose to say "no" to.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RogueLeader

Quote from: CyBorg on September 14, 2012, 11:12:27 PM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2012, 09:02:40 PM
You have to make an individual choice in this matter after acquisition.  I've chosen to just say no.

I would wonder, then, even with someone who comes from a background of military service as you do (which is noble and honourable), what other CAP regs you might choose to say "no" to.

Please note that he said that he has a complete set of g/w. He just doesn't wear them.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

tsrup

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 14, 2012, 09:13:43 PM

I made no such statement, implied or otherwise. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: RogueLeader on September 15, 2012, 12:45:29 AM
Please note that he said that he has a complete set of g/w. He just doesn't wear them.

I know that.

However, I would wonder what would happen if he were to attend a class where UOD was not the golf shirt...would he pass or would he go anyway, knowing he is breaking a rule laid down by the director of said activity?

Most of the classes I've attended/taught (I've had SLS and CLC, and taught at a CLC), the UOD was blues or the G/W set and I don't remember any noticeable deviation.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

Bottom line... The minimum uniform is and always probably will be short sleeve blues or the corporate equivalent, and that is not the Polo, it is spelled out clearly that it is the g/w combo. It's as simple as that.

DONE

PHall

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 15, 2012, 04:19:15 AM
Bottom line... The minimum uniform is and always probably will be short sleeve blues or the corporate equivalent, and that is not the Polo, it is spelled out clearly that it is the g/w combo. It's as simple as that.

DONE

The minimum uniform is the short sleeve blues or the white aviator shirt/grey pants combo.

The Polo combination is an optional uniform combination.

fyrfitrmedic

Ever notice how the biggest uniform trolls won't ever sign their names to their posts?
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Critical AOA

It amazes me how many on here like operating in total anonymity.  That is more typical of the somewhat cowardly behavior that you see on many rant type sites rather than on a site dedicated to an organization such as CAP. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Devil Doc

I have no fear to hide my name, or rank, or organization, by any matter, we can all agree on one thing. The CAP manuals and regs needs to be changed and modified, we can agree all on atleat that thing.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 14, 2012, 06:43:40 PM
.... Find me an AD military man or woman who doesn't wear all the ribbons and badges they've EARNED and I'll show you someone who doesn't take his or her career seriously. I'd find it hard to believe someone who completed Jump School wouldn't wear their parachutist wings. Or the soldier who completed Ranger school who wouldn't wear their Ranger Tab. Or the combat vet who wouldn't wear their CIB. I highly doubt that any of these badges, ribbons, or medals were forced upon them. And they have all the experience in the world to back up their wearing of them.

Surely your "experience"  for 20 years in Civil Air Patrol gives you every right to be making such broad statements about active duty, former active duty, and or retired military personnel career aspirations being linked to military ribbons wear on their military uniform >:( ???   

In the AF unless one is wearing the service dress uniform, ribbons are optional.  Generally the member will wear at least their highest specialty badge or wings, but could wear more.    Generally my observation (in a bit over a 20 year military career) was that senior NCO's, and some former enlisted new officers tended to wear their ribbons with the blue shirt/pants combination and most others didn't wear ribbons.  Kind of a mute point now a days since everyone in the AF seems to be running around dressed in ACU's all of the time :(

I agree that anyone wearing any type of CAP uniform should wear it properly.  For what I do in CAP the various golf shirts with grey pants seem to work the best for me (but I also have the a one set of G/W and Blue BDU's that could be worn if necessary).

RM   

manfredvonrichthofen

Since my rack changed, my unit changed, and I got a specialty badge, I haven't had the time to change sig block. But I don't go with anonymity, and I'm not trolling, it's just as simple as the minimum uniform is either corporate g/w or short sleeve blues, not the Polo combination. Yes, the Polo is optional, but according to the regs, it's not the minimum uniform. It really is that simple, there is no argument needed, consult the regs, and if you aren't in compliance then please get a set of the minimum uniform.

1st LT KILLION, Robert
SWR-AR-095
GTL, GTM2, EMT, Es Tech, Cadet Programs

Devil Doc

RM is right, most AD who work not in the field, only wear there top 3 ribbons, and highsest earned badge/achievment. Most AD have arounf 6-7 rows of ribbons, unless you are at an public event, or banquet etc, they will wear the top 3.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

abdsp51

In the AD AF the requirement is all or none.  Mainly you will see enlisted wearing their ribbons while the officers won't.  And we wear ABUs not ACUs in the AF unless assigned to an Army unit. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 15, 2012, 02:43:53 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on September 14, 2012, 06:43:40 PM
.... Find me an AD military man or woman who doesn't wear all the ribbons and badges they've EARNED and I'll show you someone who doesn't take his or her career seriously. I'd find it hard to believe someone who completed Jump School wouldn't wear their parachutist wings. Or the soldier who completed Ranger school who wouldn't wear their Ranger Tab. Or the combat vet who wouldn't wear their CIB. I highly doubt that any of these badges, ribbons, or medals were forced upon them. And they have all the experience in the world to back up their wearing of them.

Surely your "experience"  for 20 years in Civil Air Patrol gives you every right to be making such broad statements about active duty, former active duty, and or retired military personnel career aspirations being linked to military ribbons wear on their military uniform >:( ???   

In the AF unless one is wearing the service dress uniform, ribbons are optional.  Generally the member will wear at least their highest specialty badge or wings, but could wear more.    Generally my observation (in a bit over a 20 year military career) was that senior NCO's, and some former enlisted new officers tended to wear their ribbons with the blue shirt/pants combination and most others didn't wear ribbons.  Kind of a mute point now a days since everyone in the AF seems to be running around dressed in ACU's all of the time :(

I agree that anyone wearing any type of CAP uniform should wear it properly.  For what I do in CAP the various golf shirts with grey pants seem to work the best for me (but I also have the a one set of G/W and Blue BDU's that could be worn if necessary).

RM   

Get off your high horse for one second and see that the things I said were not anywhere near the negativity you made it out to be. I was stating the fact that most people WILL wear the badges and ribbons they've earned over their career as a mark of what they did. I made no mention of where and when they wear them, only that they will. Yes, ribbons are OPTIONAL except on the service dress. I'm making the point that if one has EARNED a badge like the CIB or the Parachutist Badge or whatever that they tend to wear them and not store them in a drawer someplace and just say "yeah, I got one of those someplace" like some in CAP do and expect us to take their word for it, which we don't.

I make no more "broad" generalizations about AD men and women than you do about current CAP members. I have encountered many AD and retired military men and women in my travels and each and every one of them wears just about all the things they are entitled to wear on their uniform, ACU or service dress. Quite a few retired service members and veterans wear a hat with all their miniature decorations and badges on them, or a fatigue jacket with their former units and awards and whatnot. They are proud of what they've done and who they served with and when, as well they should be. My statement about not taking their career seriously probably was a little extreme in the fact that not all of us want or need accolades, but you don't know me or where I've been or what I've seen or what I know.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things