New senior member uniforms

Started by umpirecali, September 04, 2012, 04:19:19 AM

umpirecali

I am a new SM and one thing that I thought was weird about the uniforms was the lack of detail or instruction for new members.  I took about a month after my membership was complete to get my welcome to CAP packet and even that wasn't the best for telling a new person with no military training how to put together the various uiforms.  I am a go getter so I sought out the info myself and look through pictures online, read 39-1 several times, and this forum (actually, no one tod me about this forum).  There are no ther SM withou grae in my squadron so I can't just look at their uniforms.  So this leads me to the question, is there a beginners guide to CAP uniforms out there? If there isn't I think I will make one for my squadron to use with new SM's int the future.  All the pictures in all the publications I have seen, picture higher ranks...well a Lt Col doesn't need the pictures, a new guy does, so why don't they put a SM (WOG) in the picture or diagram?

What I am envisioning would be short but detailed; not detailing every possible uniform with every variant and accessory like 39-1 but something that addresses BDU's, blues, and corp uniform.  I think there is also the opportunity to talk not only about uniform measurements like where the nametape goes but but how to prepare and care for the uniform, and how to shine shoes.

if such a resource exists, it would be nice to advertise since I haven't found it yet.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Garibaldi

I thought there was a picture describing how to place CAP cutouts on the uniform that came with your SM kit. If not, someone SHOULD have told you what your resources are. CAPM 39-1 is your best friend in this. This should have been brought to your attention from nearly Day One.

Here is a handy guide for you.

What you need:
Blues:
2 metal CAP cutouts
Gray nameplate
AF blue belt with silver buckle and tip
Shade 1505 trousers
Shade 1550 shirt
flight cap with silver officer's braid
silver flight cap device

BDU/BBDU:
2 cloth CAP tabs, white on ultramarine blue
CIVIL AIR PATROL tape, white on ultramarine blue
Name tape, white on ultramarine blue
BDU/BBDU blouse and trousers, matching shade and material
combat/jungle boots, black.
black socks and black T-shirt
AF blue belt with subdued black tip and open face buckle

Where everything goes:

Blues
Metal CAP cutouts go on the collar, one inch up, centered and perpendicular to the front edge of the collar. The flat edge of the C in CAP should be parallel to the front edge of the collar on the left, the flat edge of the P in CAP parallel to the edge of the right collar.
The gray nameplate goes over the right shirt pocket, centered.
The flight cap device goes on the left side of the flight cap, 1 1/2" back from the front edge, centered between the bottom and the braided edge.

BDU/BBDU
the cloth cutouts go the same way as on the blues, with no more than 1/8" of blue surrounding the lettering.
the name tape goes over the right pocket, centered, with the edges tucked under 1". I find it's easier to cut the ends into a triangle after folding them under, about 1/4 inch from the fold.
the CIVIL AIR PATROL tape goes over the left pocket, centered. same as the name tape.
you don't have grade, so you don't sew anything on your hat.

Care and feeding

Blues
The AF shirt should be pressed but not starched. "Military" creases are not authorized. A crease on the shirt sleeves is optional
The trousers should be hemmed to where the front crease "breaks" and the back edge hits the seam between the heel and upper of the shoe.
The belt is fed counter-clockwise through the loops. The silver tip should just protrude from the buckle, but no blue should show. Excess belt should be cut from the buckle side but leave about 1" of belt. You can either tape the loose end or cauterize it to eliminate loose threads. MEASURE IT BEFORE YOU CUT!!!

BDU/BBDU
Boots should be polished but spit-shining is optional. Tuck the excess shoestring inside your boots after tying
Trousers should be bloused over the boots. Do not tuck inside the boot.
Blouse is not tucked in.
You can press the uniform but starching isn't necessary.

I can provide pictures at a later date. I was thinking of doing something like this for our new seniors anyway.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

spacecommand

QuoteWhat you need:
Blues:
2 metal CAP cutouts
Gray nameplate
Shade 1505 trousers
Shade 1550 shirt
silver flight cap device

1. SMWOG wear flight caps with solid blue braid.

2. I don't think 1505? (USAF tan/khaki uniform?) is available.

Preferably the OP should get shade 1620 trousers to match the current issue trousers and service coat (if they opt to get one in the future).  Watch out for the 1625 shade which is also made, but doesn't match the 1620 used on the USAF service jacket (if you opt to get one in the future).

a2capt

.. which I'd just tell people to worry about Blues later, as buying a flight cap for a potentially short run is kinda lame.

Dad2-4

Aviator shirt Corporate Uniform option:
White short sleeve aviator shirt, commonly Van Heusen brand, i.e. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secd/40
Madium grey slacks, plain front. Commonly found at big box stores or other clothing retailers.
Black belt, plain, with buckle. Common business attire belts.
Black shoes or boots. Common dress/casual shoes, plain roper boots, etc.
CAP SM grey plastic name tag
2 silver CAP cutouts.
No hat required.

(please correct me if I missed something)

umpirecali

Quote from: spacecommand on September 04, 2012, 05:03:34 AM
QuoteWhat you need:
Blues:
2 metal CAP cutouts
Gray nameplate
Shade 1505 trousers
Shade 1550 shirt
silver flight cap device

Preferably the OP should get shade 1620 trousers to match the current issue trousers and service coat (if they opt to get one in the future).  Watch out for the 1625 shade which is also made, but doesn't match the 1620 used on the USAF service jacket (if you opt to get one in the future).

My Lt Col told me all SM Are considered officers and they issued me a cap with the silver braids.

Quote from: Garibaldi date=1346735014
QuoteI thought there was a picture describing how to place CAP cutouts on the uniform that came with your SM kit. If not, someone SHOULD have told you what your resources are. CAPM 39-1 is your best friend in this. This should have been brought to your attention from nearly Day One.
No real instruction given other than corp uniform, I read 39-1 but it was less than my best friend. I am squared away but I want to make it easier for the next guy.
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: umpirecali link=topic=16087.msg289790#msg289790

My Lt Col told me all SM Are considered officers and they issued me a cap with the silver braids.[\unqoute]

Your LtCol is wrong.  For the first six months you are not an officer. Now that does not the appropriate customs and courtisies should not be afforded to you, but until you have been pinned to 2ndLt you are not an officer.  CAPM39-1 tells you what you wear as far as being a SMWOG.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad2-4 on September 04, 2012, 06:54:35 AM
Aviator shirt Corporate Uniform option:
White short sleeve aviator shirt, commonly Van Heusen brand, i.e. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secd/40
Madium grey slacks, plain front. Commonly found at big box stores or other clothing retailers.
Black belt, plain, with buckle. Common business attire belts.
Black shoes or boots. Common dress/casual shoes, plain roper boots, etc.
CAP SM grey plastic name tag
2 silver CAP cutouts.
No hat required.

Cutouts are not worn on the whites.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

The only item worn on the white aviator shirt shirt for SM without grade is the three lined grey nameplate.

Optional items are:
CAP only ribbons
CAP only wings, badges
AF blue tie

**NO NO items**
Military/Federal etc ribbons/badges/wings etc
CAP Cutouts
CAP blank shoulder slides (seen this before, these are intended for NCOs to have embroidered grade, though I noticed vanguard has started selling Senior member NCO embroidered slides now for Master Sergeant).
CAP regimental tie (when worn without blazer, but technically with blazer you should wear plain white shirt,but in practice people tend to wear their white aviator shirt under the blazer)

Eclipse

Quote from: spacecommand on September 04, 2012, 03:09:46 PM
CAP regimental tie (when worn without blazer, but technically with blazer you should wear plain white shirt,but in practice people tend to wear their white aviator shirt under the blazer)

+1 - another practice we need to disavow.

And we need to just dump the !@#$ striped tie.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

I agree, since the blue AF tie can also be worn on the blazer uniform as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: spacecommand on September 04, 2012, 03:22:53 PM
I agree, since the blue AF tie can also be worn on the blazer uniform as well.

Looks better, too. Nothing says "professional" like an out of date striped tie and a pocket protector!

"That Others May Zoom"

Phil Hirons, Jr.

The only item worn on the white aviator shirt shirt for SM without grade is the three lined grey nameplate.

Optional items are:
CAP only ribbons
CAP only wings, badges
AF blue tie

And only 2 badges / devices unlike the 4 that can be worn on the blues. More discrimination on the heavy and hairy among us.

Eclipse

Quote from: phirons on September 04, 2012, 03:26:28 PM

Optional items are:
CAP only ribbons
CAP only wings, badges
AF blue tie

And only 2 badges / devices unlike the 4 that can be worn on the blues. More discrimination on the heavy and hairy among us.

According to that NUC briefing, this has already changed, though it's never been communicated or published as such.

What a mess.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: spacecommand on September 04, 2012, 05:03:34 AM
QuoteWhat you need:
Blues:
2 metal CAP cutouts
Gray nameplate
Shade 1505 trousers
Shade 1550 shirt
silver flight cap device

Dagum it. It was late when I wrote that.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Eclipse on September 04, 2012, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: phirons on September 04, 2012, 03:26:28 PM

Optional items are:
CAP only ribbons
CAP only wings, badges
AF blue tie

According to that NUC briefing, this has already changed, though it's never been communicated or published as such.

What a mess.
Not communicated or published = not changed

Critical AOA

Vandy's Easy Uniform Guide for New Senior Members.

1.  Buy golf shirt from Vanguard.

2. Check closet for suitable grey pants.  If none found go to local store.

3. Check closet for suitable black shoes.  If none found go to local store.

4.  Check closet for black belt.  If none found go to local store.

5.  Check dresser for dark socks. If none found go to local store.

6. Get dressed.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Abby.L

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 04, 2012, 10:32:21 PM
Vandy's Easy Uniform Guide for New Senior Members.

1.  Buy golf shirt from Vanguard.

2. Check closet for suitable grey pants.  If none found go to local store.

3. Check closet for suitable black shoes.  If none found go to local store.

4.  Check closet for black belt.  If none found go to local store.

5.  Check dresser for dark socks. If none found go to local store.

6. Get dressed.

You can probably just go to the local store once if you check them all beforehand.  ;)

But seriously, the golf shirt is probably the only one that you really need until you're officially officer. After that, getting what you need is far simpler(Ahem, the mentioned silver braid v blue braid flight cap) than at this point in time. >:D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

BigShu

I bought a polo (with screened logo), already had appropriate grey pants. Had black shoes, but bought a new pair to start off on the right foot. A new belt would be good, all of mine are well worn.
I'm waiting for the dust to settle, probably shortly after the first 6 months, to do much more. I ordered an aviator shirt, but I don't know how often I'll wear it.
I'm kind of behind the 8 ball, since There's a region conference this weekend, and I don't think the polo combo covers many bases. I've got a wing conference next month, so hopefully I'll have a better idea what I need to not look like a hoser.
Does the blazer uniform require changing buttons on the blazer, or is that just for the service coat?