Wear of Uniforms to Fit Occasions

Started by Major Carrales, May 08, 2012, 03:55:49 PM

Major Carrales

While none of this is set in stone, nor would I want it to be.  This is how I usually wear my uniforms for given activities...

BDUs-  Field Uniform for when working outdoors or on a bivouac.   It is designed to begin as pristine, but get dirty or soiled from activities like field cooking, DF work or other activities that involve being out doors.   On occasions where I fly, I used to wear this to fly until I got a flight suit.  At our unit, that meets twice a week, we use it on the Thursday meeting since we are usually outdoor (orienteering et al) (would wear BBDU of owned one)

Flight suit- For flying, or when at the flight line for support of or participation in flying activities. (would just fly in BBDUs, would never own blue flight suit...maybe a blue utility suit)

Short Sleeve Service Dress- I usually wear this for everyday use in the hoter times of the year.  If we had a summer uniform this would be it.  When doing activities that are more "public" I wear ribbons with it or a tie (carried uncase an upgrade is necessary, add light weight blue jacket for effect).  Yes, I wear a service cap...with it.  I use it in classroom settings. (would wear polo if owned one, but more likely white aviator shirt short sleeve if owned one...pants would be as close to the USAF style as possible with patent leather shoes)

Long Sleeve Service Dress- For those more activities that require look formal but not the use of a service coat.  My everyday uniform in cooler weather.  Worn without ribbons unless asked or called upon to.  Worn with the service cap.  I add light weight blue jacket most of the time because I like the way it looks. (long sleeve aviator shirt with ribbons, if I owned such ...pants would be as close to the USAF style as possible with patent leather shoes

Service Coat-  Used for presenations, Wing Conferences, occasions where a suit is called for or when required.  Usually, for example, at a Wing conference,  I wear the light weight blue coat (it has been geeting cold at these things due to air con issues) and switch to service coat for banquets and luncheons that are more formal. (would likely wear the blazer, if I owned one)

I do not have mess dress...maybe will get it this next red service ribbon clasp.  If I never needed an alternative, it would be a tux with a medal)

I almost bought a guyavera shirt when they were offered, but I bought a "civilian" one (maroon) instead for casual wear.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Brad

No golf shirt sir? Granted I wear the USAF-style uniforms as much as possible, but if I'm running late or couldn't get around to the cleaners or whatnot, I have my golf shirt as my emergency throw-on uniform. Also good for those (getting rarer and rarer) 2am mission callouts. Sadly my part of the state rarely if ever gets live missions. That is why I got into firefighting.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Brad on May 09, 2012, 09:58:34 AM
No golf shirt sir? Granted I wear the USAF-style uniforms as much as possible, but if I'm running late or couldn't get around to the cleaners or whatnot, I have my golf shirt as my emergency throw-on uniform.

I am one of the probable few in CAP who has never owned and does not plan to own the golf shirt.  I'm not pooh-poohing it; I just personally don't like it, although the attitude displayed by a very few who choose to wear that order of dress who are zealous to get us out of the AF uniform ("all I wear is the golf shirt because I'm not a poseur and dedicated to the mission," and I'm not talking about you, Brad) kind of sours it for me.

Usually I tend to follow Major Carrales' orders of dress.

Unless directed otherwise, my uniform of choice is usually the blue utility suit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

manfredvonrichthofen

I don't touch the golf shirt either. It seems a bit unprofessional to me. I can understand having one just in case you aren't able to go full uniform for one reason or another, but that has never happened to me, and I don't plan on letting it.

I think blues should be worn any time you aren't planning field activities. But I wear my service jacket pretty much every time I wear blues. I have to wear the long sleeve all the time because of my tattoos, and I think the long sleeve and tie without a jacket tends to look goofy on me.

Major Carrales

If I were to ever own one of the "golf shirts" it would not likely to be worn as a "uniform."  I usually wear a button down shirt and tie in regular wear.  Golf Shirts are worn by the students I teach and by people over at large grocery outfits like HEB (a Texas company)

In fact, years ago...I wore a golf shirt to that grocery store in Kingsville, Texas and was treated as an employee there five times during the same visit.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Spaceman3750

I wear a polo to work almost every day, and do pretty much the same for CAP. I wear BBDUs on missions and wear G/W for more formal things.

I'm thinking about switching to "business tactical" when I start the new job though because I'm sick of messing up good slacks and shoes climbing ladders and crawling around under desks (crawling under desks is more destructive to clothing and footwear over time than you would initially think). Being your local friendly computer tech/network admin means I find myself in odd places frequently.

Brad

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 10, 2012, 06:31:29 AM
I wear a polo to work almost every day, and do pretty much the same for CAP. I wear BBDUs on missions and wear G/W for more formal things.

I'm thinking about switching to "business tactical" when I start the new job though because I'm sick of messing up good slacks and shoes climbing ladders and crawling around under desks (crawling under desks is more destructive to clothing and footwear over time than you would initially think). Being your local friendly computer tech/network admin means I find myself in odd places frequently.

All of our IT and building maintenance guys for SC DPS are issued the same soft uniform as the Troopers, gray long-sleeve or short-sleeve polo depending on the season, tactical cargo pants, and boots, except the embroidered badge is replaced with the embroidered DPS seal.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

AirDX

I go to my real job working for the Air Force managing complex and technically challenging real-world missions in a polo.  I go TDY running missions out of Korea, or Thailand, or Singapore, or Japan... wearing a polo.  Don't give me the "unprofessional" BS.   

I go to CAP where I might manage a C182 sortie in a CAP polo.

Went to a meeting last night with about 10 members including the Wing/CC in attendance.  Everyone wore the polo.  Not a one of us is anti-military, trust me.  You all read way too much into this.

The only other uniform I own is a white aviator shirt that I wear to more formal occasions. 
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

Eclipse

Most other agencies will have their people in golf shirts for missions, such is the way of the world.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Being that we have so many different uniforms and combinations IMO I think as long as it's appropriate one for the situation to leave it be.  Personally I wouldn't wear the golf shirt on a mission call out, but I have a couple of shirts for wear for when it's a casual night or as a quick fix for meetings.  Outside of that I wear the UOD whether it is blues, BDUs or PT, my personal thoughts are that being in the CP specialty track that those directly involved should be in the same uniform the cadets are. 

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 10, 2012, 08:24:26 PMOutside of that I wear the UOD whether it is blues, BDUs or PT, my personal thoughts are that being in the CP specialty track that those directly involved should be in the same uniform the cadets are.

I agree 100%, however that is currently not always possible because of the state of the regs.

I will take an ICP with 10 people all in a golf shirt and gray pants over one with 4 different uniforms.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2012, 08:35:28 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on May 10, 2012, 08:24:26 PMOutside of that I wear the UOD whether it is blues, BDUs or PT, my personal thoughts are that being in the CP specialty track that those directly involved should be in the same uniform the cadets are.

I agree 100%, however that is currently not always possible because of the state of the regs.

I will take an ICP with 10 people all in a golf shirt and gray pants over one with 4 different uniforms.

I can agree with that.  When I rejoined the golf shirt and grey pants was my uniform until I attained what was needed.  It is not a preference for me and we have members of our unit that that is what they wear due to their circumstances.  I won't bag on it it's just not my first preference is all but it is better than nothing.

Eclipse

I suppose I should asterisk the above with "assuming they fit properly".  We have a lot of members who are confused with US clothing sizes...

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

My only real issue with the golf shirts is the quality of the ones from VG.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Spaceman3750

Quote from: vmstan on May 10, 2012, 09:00:55 PM
My only real issue with the golf shirts is the quality of the ones from VG.

Seconded.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AirDX on May 10, 2012, 08:09:32 PM
Went to a meeting last night with about 10 members including the Wing/CC in attendance.  Everyone wore the polo.  Not a one of us is anti-military, trust me.  You all read way too much into this.

I think the reason so much is read into that is because of the small-but-vocal contingent on CT who say we shouldn't be in the AF uniform, period, and somehow try to prove how "mission orientated" they are by saying the polo is all they wear.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AirDX

Quote from: CyBorg on May 11, 2012, 04:05:26 PM
small-but-vocal contingent on CT

A small subset of a smaller subset.  Near-irrelevant, I'd submit.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

RiverAux

Quote from: CyBorg on May 11, 2012, 04:05:26 PM
Quote from: AirDX on May 10, 2012, 08:09:32 PM

I think the reason so much is read into that is because of the small-but-vocal contingent on CT who say we shouldn't be in the AF uniform, period, and somehow try to prove how "mission orientated" they are by saying the polo is all they wear.
The larger contingent here is probably the one saying we shouldn't have any civilian-style uniforms like the golf shirt.

But, back to the primary topic....

About the only uniforms I wear are the BDU or the flight suit.  If I go to Wing conference I'll put on the service dress uniform.  I do have a golf shirt uniform, but I usually only wear it if my other uniforms aren't ready (dirty, un-ironed, etc.).  Haven't done any public presentations in years, but if I was going to do one, I'd wear the service dress. 

RADIOMAN015

I wear the various golf shirts (long, short sleeve), CAP logo embroidered & screen printed about 97% of the time.    Less than 1%  White/Grey's (primarily wing conferences and training that requires that uniform), and maybe about 2% Blue BDU's, some minor/limited field work.   For formal CAP dinners I wear a civilian suit coat, tie, etc with only my retired AF lapel pin.       

My last briefing to our local amateur repeater club was just wearing the short sleeve golf shirt with the screen print (another member wore the golf shirt with the embroidered logo).  (BTW they have golf shirts and baseball type hats with appropriate club logo/name they use when supporting local events with communications).

I do wear my black combat boots with the golf shirt when I know I'm going to be erecting temporary antennas, and likely will also get a few pairs of cargo type grey pants in the future for more of a "work" look.

I like to be comfortable while volunteering.

RM