Main Menu

Ranger tab

Started by Brad, January 14, 2012, 06:25:53 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 22, 2012, 01:17:50 AM
It can't hurt? Why NOT request it?

Because, for the past twenty years, there has been a mindset at NHQ of "request nothing of the AF because it will tick them off."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 22, 2012, 01:47:31 AM
I know, but WHY?

I suppose they're still so stung by what happened with the berry boards that they walk on eggshells whenever the issue of uniforms is concerned.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Spaceman3750

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 22, 2012, 02:49:19 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 22, 2012, 01:47:31 AM
I know, but WHY?

Search "Berry Boards".

Which, after 20 years, is a water-weak excuse.  I would doubt that the bad-actors who precipitated that are even involved with CAP any more.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Extremepredjudice

So a national commander promotes himself, we get berry boards, and then everyone in leadership is afraid for 20ish years?  ::)  ???

If we are requesting stuff, won't the USAF be happy we aren't going and just using what ever it is?

Besides, I bet you no one in power now remembers, knew, or cared about Harwell's  second star.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 22, 2012, 04:48:53 AM
So a national commander promotes himself, we get berry boards, and then everyone in leadership is afraid for 20ish years?  ::)  ???

20 years and counting.  The CAP has gone grey faster than my hair.

If we are requesting stuff, won't the USAF be happy we aren't going and just using what ever it is?

I think if we request something it would get lost somewhere between CAP-USAF and the CSAF, but if we were to just "use" something you can bet they'd come down like the blade on Marie Antoinette's neck.  To be fair, it is their uniform, and they have final say on how it's to be used, though they don't seem to have a problem with several SDF air units wearing it virtually unaltered and outside the H/W prescriptions for CAP.

What boggles me is how the mindset extends to so-called "corporate" uniforms, even ones that would have 0% USAF content.

Besides, I bet you no one in power now remembers, knew, or cared about Harwell's  second star.

They may not personally know about it, but there are probably records on what happened with that, and whenever a uniform change issue comes up, someone at NHQ cites that and goes into Mr Bill "OH NOOOOOO!" mode.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

Quote from: CyBorg on January 22, 2012, 01:19:21 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on January 22, 2012, 01:17:50 AM
It can't hurt? Why NOT request it?

Because, for the past twenty years, there has been a mindset at NHQ of "request nothing of the AF because it will tick them off."

Really? This is getting old.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 22, 2012, 02:02:19 PM

It is, but it's a cultural mindset that's in place, and shifting something like that is like moving Mount Everest.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FW

Quote from: CyBorg on January 22, 2012, 01:51:26 PM

They may not personally know about it, but there are probably records on what happened with that, and whenever a uniform change issue comes up, someone at NHQ cites that and goes into Mr Bill "OH NOOOOOO!" mode.

Yes, there are records on what happened back then.  It wa basicly a feud between the SECAF and CSAF.  The SECAF approved the promotion. The CSAF did not.  The CSAF controlled the uniform and....

The main reason we do not have metal grade insignia on our service coats is due to a picture of a certain CAWG member who was allowed to wear it with an extra 100 lbs and brown cowboy boots.  The CSAF at the time (Gen Foglesong) was quite explicit in his defense of wearing more distinctive grade insignia.  And, as we all know from the many many posts on CapTalk, the proper wear of our uniform is not taken seriously (by many) in CAP.  Until that changes, the Air Force is not going to "deal" with us. 

EMT-83

Quote from: CyBorg on January 22, 2012, 02:06:42 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on January 22, 2012, 02:02:19 PM

It is, but it's a cultural mindset that's in place, and shifting something like that is like moving Mount Everest.

As Ned would say, "Strong personal opinion noted."

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FW on January 22, 2012, 02:12:13 PM
Yes, there are records on what happened back then.  It wa basicly a feud between the SECAF and CSAF.  The SECAF approved the promotion. The CSAF did not.  The CSAF controlled the uniform and....

The main reason we do not have metal grade insignia on our service coats is due to a picture of a certain CAWG member who was allowed to wear it with an extra 100 lbs and brown cowboy boots.  The CSAF at the time (Gen Foglesong) was quite explicit in his defense of wearing more distinctive grade insignia.  And, as we all know from the many many posts on CapTalk, the proper wear of our uniform is not taken seriously (by many) in CAP.  Until that changes, the Air Force is not going to "deal" with us.

And who suffers because of this feud twenty-odd years ago?

Cowboy boots look just as goofy with berry boards or grey insignia as they do with metal grade.

Colonel, most of what I notice about the uniform not being taken "seriously" has to do with (lately at least) what kind of clothing is worn with BDU's.  What on earth do we have to do to be "taken seriously?"  I think 20-odd years of being smoked for the actions of a few is quite enough.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Lord

So let me get this straight: Do I sew my "Ranger tab" above or below the American flag on my Campaign hat? I am so confused.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

niferous

Quote from: Major Lord on January 22, 2012, 02:54:29 PM
So let me get this straight: Do I sew my "Ranger tab" above or below the American flag on my Campaign hat? I am so confused.....

Major Lord

Really?  REALLY?!  The American flag goes on the right side of the campaign hat so that everyone knows that we're American.  The Ranger tab goes above your metal grade (only subdued or Sta-Brite allowed).  Then on the right your wing patch.  On the back you need to sew your name tape just like your BDU cap.  It's ranger rolled right?  Because you're a ranger!

On ES missions the campaign hat is allowed but only if the reflective hat band is worn in lieu of the patent leather one, and a battery powered led flashing beacon is worn on top of the campaing hat (ie: http://www.emergencycity.com/Whelen_Super_Strobe_D_Series_Beacon_p/whs360d.htm). Also a clip on flashlight is allowed on the bill. 

It's all in a supplement that was signed in the backroom of a Vietnamese butcher shop by a CAP General in full mess dress who had just recently promoted himself.  The Vietnamese knew this and coaxed our leader into a no holds bared game of high stakes go fish with the berry boards and and campaign hat on the table.  The Vietnamese were in a San Fransisco composite squadron and wanted to be done with the berry boards but needed the campaign hat.  For safety. 

The supplement is kept in a secret tomb guarded by the ghost of a WWII CAP member who sank a German submarine.  You have to pass through a maze of obstacles aimed to stop the non-deserving CAP member.  Only the deserving CAP member will pass.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

cpyahoo

Oh, Lord!  Do NOT give CAP safety any ideas!!!

"The new corporate uniform will encompass red-white-and-blue bowling shoes, USAF blue bell-bottom trousers with matching gray leather belt and a white corporate ruffle tuxedo shirt with grey epaulets.  The new head gear will be a marron fez with long gray tassel and sta-bright Bedazzling.  The marron color emulates the maroon epaulettes from the 1990s."

cpyahoo

OOPS!  Meant -marroon-, not marron.  Or maybe it's moron?

niferous

Maybe I AM CAP SAFETY!  :o
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

PHall

Quote from: niferous on January 22, 2012, 04:25:24 PM
Maybe I AM CAP SAFETY!  :o

If you are, then DOOM on you... >:D

abdsp51

It's bad on the AF side too.  Stuff the troops want get shot down, stuff we don't want gets approved.  And then there is the things that you scratch your head and go wth.  It's never ending bs and is political as heck.  Uniforms seem to be one of the biggest thorns I see in the organization. 

AngelWings

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 22, 2012, 04:20:46 PM
OOPS!  Meant -marroon-, not marron.  Or maybe it's moron?
That is brown in french, describing the color of something that sums up our problems  >:D