ABU uniform for Civil Air Patrol

Started by U.S.A.F. C.A.P., December 26, 2011, 04:21:20 PM

afgeo4

Quote from: SARDOC on January 03, 2012, 12:59:44 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 03, 2012, 12:50:22 AM
In fact, we are going to go away from a USAF style uniform altogether to comply with new DoD regulations about control of supply of digital uniforms.

I'm not sure that's really relevant.  We are not part of the DoD and wouldn't be receiving them from the Air Force anyway.  We would have to buy them from a third party vendor like we do now.  We would just be changing the pattern of the uniform.
If such a DoD policy does exist, it is sure to limit the distribution of DoD contracted uniforms to authorized personnel only. That is, if this is a new(ish) policy, it may not have reached the retailers yet, but may do so soon. It will not stop the production of replica uniforms that look like ABUs, ACUs, MAPATS, etc, but it will restrict the actual contracted uniforms from being sold to the public. It will not be a law, but rather a part of all future uniform contractors with manufacturers.
GEORGE LURYE

Eclipse

^ A DOD "policy" not backed up by law or enforced as such is pretty meaningless to anyone with a financial interest in the conversation.  Without stolen valor to give things a little nudge, I don't see how what the DOD does, or doesn't want people sell is going t matter much to people not in the DOD's chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

DoD policy does restrict certain items of issued organizational clothing from being released to those outside of Government circles.  These are uniforms purchased by the DoD for DoD uses.  Any release of these items outside of those authorized would be considered a government subsidy to that outside organization.  We are not currently on that list as far as ABU's are concerned.  This regulation keeps us from going to DRMO (or whatever it's called now) and getting surplus ABU's.  Because of the government expenditures purchasing these uniforms they are trying to get the taxpayers money out of the supply they have before doling them to outside organizations.

If the Government were to restrict private industry from selling the pattern which is feasible but typically doesn't happen then the government price would increase.  Most of the manufacturers make little money on the production of these uniforms for the government contract.  Trying to be the low bid contract in the hopes they get to sell some civilian sales to make a reasonable profit.  It's the American way.

As far as I can remember, WIWOAD all Organizational Items had to be returned...that may be the case here.  Air Force policy may restrict unauthorized dissemination of organizational items.  Doesn't really impact us because we don't get ABU's or BDU's from the Air Force...as CAP member's we would buy them ourselves from an outside vendor.

As far as controlling the supply or the technology involved..I think that's like closing the gate after the cows are gone.  We missed that bus years ago.  This argument doesn't hold up to any level of scrutiny.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on January 12, 2012, 08:34:27 PM
^ A DOD "policy" not backed up by law or enforced as such is pretty meaningless to anyone with a financial interest in the conversation.  Without stolen valor to give things a little nudge, I don't see how what the DOD does, or doesn't want people sell is going t matter much to people not in the DOD's chain.

Even SV doesn't mean a lot in terms of manufacturing.  You can still buy pretty much any U.S. medal you want (with the exception of the MOH) quite easily, some from reputable sources and others from not-so-reputable sources.  It's wearing them where if one gets caught out they can have trouble.  But with digital camouflage uniforms, unless there is some sort of inspector who has an infra-red scanner or knows what else to look for, it's going to be nearly unenforceable.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Basher

I have heard that some other squadrons are already all wearing ABUs. I went ahead and bought them and I am currently wearing them.
Sergeant Pain

HGjunkie

Quote from: Basher on January 12, 2012, 10:42:12 PM
I have heard that some other squadrons are already all wearing ABUs. I went ahead and bought them and I am currently wearing them.

???

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NCRblues

HAHAHAHAHAH  >:D

Good Troll!!
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

lordmonar

I hope you got the fire proof version!

a) Don't wear them! 
b) Report any other squadron/member who you know are wearing them to the wing CC....through channels.

I don't think anything else needs to be said.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Basher

Sergeant Pain

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

CAP_Marine

I've been resisting the urge but now feel the need to jump in. WIWOAD (mid 90's) we all had to buy our uniforms. There was nothing issued, in the sense of them being given to us. We received our general issue at MCRD, but certainly had to pay for them. We received an annual uniform allowance that hardly covered the costs of keeping in uniform throughout an enlistment. There was nothing given. When we got out, we took them with us because, well... they were ours (we bought them). The only items we turned in were those that were truly issued to us (ie, we signed for them, they would be replaced if broken through normal wear and tear, etc). As I udnerstand it the AF did have a period where they issued ABU's to airmen deployed in a zone where they were the required uniform, but that practice stopped when the mandatory wear date became effective. The Navy had (may still have) the same type of issuance policy for those deployed to OIF/OEF because the DCU was the prescribed uniform but it was outside of the minimum uniform requirements of the service. I am sure that practice will also cease (if it hasn't already) once the new DIGI pattern uniforms (AOR1 for spec warfare/ support and AOR2 for woodland environments for all) become mandatory or we cease combat operations in areas that require their wear.

There is no lack of used official issue MARPAT at any given surplus store or online auction site. Same goes for ACU. ABUs are starting to pop up as well. While I understand the DOD policy, it doesn't hold water and I don't see how this can even remotely be enforced. I am rather on the fence regarding the ABU, with the strongest argument so far IMO being the need to be aligned with the AF for cadet programs. I think we are really making a mountain out of a mole hill, however. When the UC makes their recommendations to the NB, if ABU's are part of them, I am sure the next steps would be to work through the authorization chain to ensure we can PURCHASE them from an approved source just like the rest of the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines out there do. If AFJROTC units can obtain ABUs it can be made to happen for CAP if/ when the time is right.

Eeyore

Quote from: HGjunkie on January 12, 2012, 10:55:11 PM
What's the OK-103 squadron?

SWR-OK-103 is the Stillwater Composite Squadron in Oklahoma Wing.

Basher

Thank you for the introduction. :clap:
Sergeant Pain

Basher

Sergeant Pain

Eeyore

Basher,

As a Cadet Officer, you should show a little more respect for members of this board, the majority of us are Senior Members with far more experience in CAP matters than yourself.

I would also refrain from personal attacks of that nature, "retarded" is not a term you should be using when addressing anyone, let alone a CAP Officer.

Basher

Alright, I apologize. I am just looking for clearer answers.
Sergeant Pain

arajca

Quote from: Basher on January 12, 2012, 11:11:40 PM
Alright, I apologize. I am just looking for clearer answers.
Clear answer: At this time, the Airman's Battle Uniform (ABU) is NOT authorized for Civil Air Patrol members.

Not-so-clear answer: At sometime in the future it MAY be authorized, HOWEVER, no one knows when or if that will happen.

Basher

My squadron commander said that we could wear the ABUs now. So I don't really know what is going on. :o
Sergeant Pain

davidsinn

Quote from: Basher on January 12, 2012, 11:28:33 PM
My squadron commander said that we could wear the ABUs now. So I don't really know what is going on. :o

Your commander apparently can't read because eservices states we can't have them.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn