Main Menu

Shoulder Cords

Started by Dracosbane, November 27, 2011, 07:34:58 PM

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on November 27, 2011, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: Littleguy on November 27, 2011, 09:37:16 PM
To the OP, what I said has no tone what so ever. It is meant to be interpreted has what you'd read in a uniform manual. SarDragon, I did not say what you wrote, so do no infer that.

You did say what I highlighted, and I was making a comparison. Let me rephrase it to make it less personal:

Would that logic extend to someone having no cadets their current unit, that they know nothing about the cadet program?

It isn't the best analogy, but it's workable. You seem to be implying that your position as a supply guy makes you an instant expert in all things relating to uniforms.
I am supposed to be knowledgable with all matters pertaining to uniforms. If I do not know a question to something, I am supposed to reffer to the appropiate manual or regulation to find the answer, which I do quite frequently. I have no reason to try to make myself look like an expert, nor do I want to. When I said "I am a supply airman, I know", I meant for it to be said like when someone says I have THAT job, inferring that it is stressful (I've had to spend hours organizing it, and I still have a few more to put in to get it fixed up.) There was no intention of trying to make myself even look like I am an expert.

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on November 27, 2011, 10:26:37 PM
If only that were true. 39-1 has not been the final authority on uniform wear for 10 years.
[/quote

They've made too many exceptions to it and nobody bothers to read it or it's changes for anyone to really take it seriously.  The ICL's for this are long expired....39-1 should be exactly how it reads.  IMHO.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on November 27, 2011, 10:32:31 PManyone to really take it seriously.  The ICL's for this are long expired....39-1 should be exactly how it reads.  IMHO.

No argument there.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

There must be a glitch in the system.  You replied to my post but I can't see my previous post on the board.

AngelWings

Quote from: SARDOC on November 27, 2011, 10:43:11 PM
There must be a glitch in the system.  You replied to my post but I can't see my previous post on the board.
Same on my end.

Eclipse

Ditto - it kept showing you as last poster, but no post, then I looked at your profile and replied from there.

Keep your eyes open for Sentinels.

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: DBlair on November 27, 2011, 09:57:57 PM
In this case, I believe the use of "OPSEC" is being meant in a 'keeping the situational details private from the public realm' sort of thing.

That's what it is. I know exactly what he is referring to and while it's not a secret in any sense of the word it's not exactly fit for the public at the moment.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Dracosbane

His post ended up inside the quote.

Dracosbane

Quote from: davidsinn on November 28, 2011, 12:27:53 AM
Quote from: DBlair on November 27, 2011, 09:57:57 PM
In this case, I believe the use of "OPSEC" is being meant in a 'keeping the situational details private from the public realm' sort of thing.

That's what it is. I know exactly what he is referring to and while it's not a secret in any sense of the word it's not exactly fit for the public at the moment.

This ^^^^

OPSEC, prudence, keeping my big mouth shut.  OPSEC is universally understood in this forum.

tsrup

So can anyone cite the verbaige that explicitly says thst the shoulder cord can be authorized for blues only?
Paramedic
hang-around.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: tsrup on November 28, 2011, 01:33:13 AM
So can anyone cite the verbaige that explicitly says thst the shoulder cord can be authorized for blues only?

Nope....it is just another one of those rumors.

Let's see what 39-1 says, shall we?

Quote5-5. Shoulder Cords. Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets only to denote special honor positions or may be authorized by the wing commander for special purpose activities (see Table 1-4). Not more than one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (Figure 5-2)/ Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times. Shoulder cords will be worn along the shoulder seam and fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.

Please note the  "at all times".

No where does it say blues only or not allowed in BDU, BBDU or Flight Suits.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: lordmonar on November 28, 2011, 02:20:14 AM
Quote from: tsrup on November 28, 2011, 01:33:13 AM

Nope....it is just another one of those rumors.

Let's see what 39-1 says, shall we?

Quote5-5. Shoulder Cords. Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets only to denote special honor positions or may be authorized by the wing commander for special purpose activities (see Table 1-4). Not more than one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (Figure 5-2)/ Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times. Shoulder cords will be worn along the shoulder seam and fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.

Please note the  "at all times".

No where does it say blues only or not allowed in BDU, BBDU or Flight Suits.

All times = a cadet can wear their cac cord normally, not just when at a cac meeting.  All times does not mean all uniforms.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Okay.

But it does not say you can wear it with any specific uniform.....ergo you can't wear it with any.

Bad regulations are bad regulations........and that which is not forbidden is allowed.

So......cords are authorised by 39-1 for wear by cadets in all uniforms.....at all time.

Dracosbane

Figure 5-2 shows the Service Dress uniform. 

EMT-83

To borrow from A Few Good Men:

Kaffee: Corporal, would you turn to the page in this book that says where the mess hall is, please.
Cpl. Barnes: Well, Lt. Kaffee, that's not in the book, sir.
Kaffee: You mean to say in all your time at Gitmo you've never had a meal?
Cpl. Barnes: No, sir. Three squares a day, sir.
Kaffee: I don't understand. How did you know where the mess hall was if it's not in this book?
Cpl. Barnes: Well, I guess I just followed the crowd at chow time, sir.

lordmonar

Quote from: Dracosbane on November 28, 2011, 02:54:35 AM
Figure 5-2 shows the Service Dress uniform.

Yep it sure does......now what does that mean?

Dracosbane

I'm not interpreting, I'm just stating fact. 

Eclipse

There is no specification for wear of a cord with a field uniform, so until there is one, the point is moot.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

There is just as much specification for wear with the field uniform as there is with blues.  The fact of the matter is that according to the regulation as it is written a wing commander may authorize a shoulder chord for wear affixed to the left shoulder along the seam.  The uniform that that cord is attached to is not specified.

edit:  it sounds like the op is fishing for information based on a situation that has happened recently.  At this point better ground will be gained in your endeavor by referencing you're own wing's supplements top see if such authorization has been granted at all.
Paramedic
hang-around.