Main Menu

Shoulder Cords

Started by Dracosbane, November 27, 2011, 07:34:58 PM

Dracosbane

I'm looking through the 39-1 and am looking for anything that authorizes or does not authorize shoulder cords for the BDU or Field uniform.  There are a couple of different places that shoulder cords are authorized (Table 1-4, etc.) but I'm not seeing a yes/no for BDU or Field uniforms. 

Chapter 5-5 says that shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times, but Figure 5-2 only shows Service Dress uniform.  I'm guessing, however, that "at all times" means any time they're in uniform and not "with any uniform."

From what I'm seeing, shoulder cords should only be worn with Service Dress.  Anyone have anything that can back that up or tell me I'm wrong?

Hawk200

Quote from: Dracosbane on November 27, 2011, 07:34:58 PM
I'm looking through the 39-1 and am looking for anything that authorizes or does not authorize shoulder cords for the BDU or Field uniform.  There are a couple of different places that shoulder cords are authorized (Table 1-4, etc.) but I'm not seeing a yes/no for BDU or Field uniforms. 

Chapter 5-5 says that shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times, but Figure 5-2 only shows Service Dress uniform.  I'm guessing, however, that "at all times" means any time they're in uniform and not "with any uniform."

From what I'm seeing, shoulder cords should only be worn with Service Dress.  Anyone have anything that can back that up or tell me I'm wrong?
If it doesn't say you can, then it's not authorized. It doesn't say you can't wear an orange T-shirt with your blues, does it? Same reasoning applies to anything else.

arajca

Shoulder cords are not authorized with the bdu or field uniform for cadets and are not authorized at all for seniors.

At all times means you can wear your CAC or color guard cord even when you're not at a CAC meeting or doing a color guard performance.

The rule, as stated in CAPM 39-1, is if it's not in the manual, it's not authorized. Wearing shoulder cords with the bdu or field uniform is not in the manual, ergo, it's not authorized.

Dracosbane

Logic (  :o ) then dictates that it is not acceptable to authorize the wear for BDUs with lower echelon supplements, correct?

HGjunkie

Why would you want to wear a Shoulder Cord on your BDUs.... Seriously, they're annoying enough on the blues.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

arajca

Quote from: Dracosbane on November 27, 2011, 08:01:42 PM
Logic (  :o ) then dictates that it is not acceptable to authorize the wear for BDUs with lower echelon supplements, correct?
Regulation, not logic, says so. The lowest level that can authorize uniform items is the wing, and those items are spelled out in the manual. Only national can change how something is worn. For example, a wing commander may authorize an orange shoulder cord for ground team members, however, it must be worn in the same manner as the CAC cord on the left shoulder. The wing commander cannot authorized the "GT cord" to be worn on the right shoulder.

Dracosbane

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 27, 2011, 08:31:47 PM
Why would you want to wear a Shoulder Cord on your BDUs.... Seriously, they're annoying enough on the blues.

Not wanting to.  Clarifying regulations to provide proper information.  Confirming what authorization does/does not exist.

I already had the proper information in mind, i.e. no cords on BDUs, just wanting to make sure I was correct and not missing something somewhere.

AngelWings

Quote from: Dracosbane on November 27, 2011, 09:05:15 PM

Not wanting to.  Clarifying regulations to provide proper information.  Confirming what authorization does/does not exist.

I already had the proper information in mind, i.e. no cords on BDUs, just wanting to make sure I was correct and not missing something somewhere.
It is not authorized. All dress uniform items belong with dress uniforms, not combat uniforms (except for pin on rank). I'd know, I am a supply airman for my squadron.

davidsinn

Hmmm. I can't imagine why you are asking...;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on November 27, 2011, 09:11:26 PM

It is not authorized. All dress uniform items belong with dress uniforms, not combat uniforms (except for pin on rank). I'd know, I am a supply airman for my squadron.

That, IMHO, carries no weight at all. Would that logic extend to mean that, since I have no cadets in my current unit, that I know nothing about the cadet program?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dracosbane

I'm not going to infer any tone into your comment (tone on internet is hard to display), however if I did, I would not appreciate its condescension, cadet.  You might have been typing when I edited my statement, so you might not have seen the whole thing.

I know shoulder cords do not belong on BDU or Field uniforms.  I know that shoulder cords are a dress uniform item.  I have a very specific reason for wanting to ensure my correct reading of the uniform manual.  I need to make sure I provide proper regulatory statements to back up the information I need to provide.  I cannot just say "The manual says no," I need to have verifiable proof of where in the manual information pertaining to my statements can be found.

I am not (call it OPSEC) going to say why on an open internet forum.   :-X

:)

Dracosbane

Quote from: davidsinn on November 27, 2011, 09:16:19 PM

I don't know... >:D

I have two other comments, too.

davidsinn

Quote from: Dracosbane on November 27, 2011, 09:28:09 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on November 27, 2011, 09:16:19 PM

I don't know... >:D

I have two other comments, too.

Do share. PM is fine.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

spacecommand

I think shoulder cords on BDUs look just as strange as wearing ribbons on BDUs (which I recall the Young Marines do).

AngelWings

To the OP, what I said has no tone what so ever. It is meant to be interpreted has what you'd read in a uniform manual. SarDragon, I did not say what you wrote, so do no infer that.

spaatzmom

Quote from: Dracosbane on November 27, 2011, 09:25:02 PM

I'm not going to infer any tone into your comment (tone on internet is hard to display), however if I did, I would not appreciate its condescension, cadet.  You might have been typing when I edited my statement, so you might not have seen the whole thing.

I know shoulder cords do not belong on BDU or Field uniforms.  I know that shoulder cords are a dress uniform item.  I have a very specific reason for wanting to ensure my correct reading of the uniform manual.  I need to make sure I provide proper regulatory statements to back up the information I need to provide.  I cannot just say "The manual says no," I need to have verifiable proof of where in the manual information pertaining to my statements can be found.

I am not a cadet, but must admit, his question was exactly the same as mine. 

I also can't see how the call it OPSEC, comment could be used in this situation.  Vague references to the situation are not in violation of it.  The OPSEC card is thrown out for all kinds of things that have little to nothing to do with it.

DBlair

Quote from: spaatzmom on November 27, 2011, 09:47:02 PM

I am not a cadet, but must admit, his question was exactly the same as mine. 

I also can't see how the call it OPSEC, comment could be used in this situation.  Vague references to the situation are not in violation of it.  The OPSEC card is thrown out for all kinds of things that have little to nothing to do with it.

I agree that the term OPSEC seems to be used (often incorrectly) for almost anything. In this case, I believe the use of "OPSEC" is being meant in a 'keeping the situational details private from the public realm' sort of thing.

As for the details of this topic, just imagining shoulder cords and ribbons on BDUs just made me feel kind of sick. lol
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

SarDragon

Quote from: Littleguy on November 27, 2011, 09:37:16 PM
To the OP, what I said has no tone what so ever. It is meant to be interpreted has what you'd read in a uniform manual. SarDragon, I did not say what you wrote, so do no infer that.

You did say what I highlighted, and I was making a comparison. Let me rephrase it to make it less personal:

Would that logic extend to someone having no cadets their current unit, that they know nothing about the cadet program?

It isn't the best analogy, but it's workable. You seem to be implying that your position as a supply guy makes you an instant expert in all things relating to uniforms.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

I have a very specific reason for wanting to ensure my correct reading of the uniform manual.  I need to make sure I provide proper regulatory statements to back up the information I need to provide.  I cannot just say "The manual says no," I need to have verifiable proof of where in the manual information pertaining to my statements can be found.

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 Sec 1-1COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY.  Any variation from this publication is not authorized. 
Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear. 

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on November 27, 2011, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 Sec 1-1COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY.  Any variation from this publication is not authorized. 
Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear.

If only that were true. 39-1 has not been the final authority on uniform wear for 10 years.

"That Others May Zoom"