Senior Officers uncomfortable in Air Force skin?

Started by Gender, November 09, 2011, 05:37:11 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 03:53:17 AM
"The Reid technique is a method of questioning subjects and assessing their credibility. The technique consists of a non-accusatory interview combining both investigative and behavior-provoking questions. If the investigative information indicates that the subject committed the crime in question, the Reid Nine Steps of Interrogation are utilized to persuade the subject to tell the truth about what they did".

OK, so a great place to start - the above is for the most part completely inappropriate for CAP IG, and specifically what I was referring to.

An IG's job is to ask direct questions, record the answers, and report them to the commander who directed the investigation.  In the vast majority of
CAP investigations, which as davidsinn said are regarding missing property, note the word "missing" not "stolen", the entire situation
is handled via email and closed without any need for "provoking behavior".   There is also the occasional bent airplane - those usually involve
adults and are handled over the phone.

If you think you're going to get anywhere trying to "provoke behavior" in a CAP pilot who bent an elevator pushing the plane back into the
hangar, or who took off with the tow bar attached, you are mistaken.

Further, the majority of cases involving missing equipment are administrative issues where junk gear was disposed of outside the proper channels,
or equipment returned to CAP was not properly recorded.  The cases of stolen property, especially stolen by a member, are nearly nonexistent.
I was part of an ROS board regarding an AC adapter that was lost during a mission - original retail price?  $13.  The only "behavior" this provoked
was all of us asking why the guy who reported it missing didn't just buy a replacement and move on.

Abuse allegations, obviously, are more serious, but they are also rare, and again, the IG's job is to ask and report, not play mind games with members in an attempt to get them to make a Perry-Mason-like 4th act admission.

The other important duty of the IG Directorate is compliance inspections, in which case, again, you are simply asking the questions and recording the answers.  SUI Teams are not supposed to get involved in "why" something "is, only reporting the status so the respective commander may make decisions.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:09:11 AMSo this training would not be useful to an IG or even a unit commander? Are not a lot of federal IG investigations about fraud, waste and abuse, missing federal property and civil issues?

IG activities are not "Federal Investigations".

"That Others May Zoom"

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 04:15:32 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:09:11 AMSo this training would not be useful to an IG or even a unit commander? Are not a lot of federal IG investigations about fraud, waste and abuse, missing federal property and civil issues?

Sorry but "Well Duh" And you missed my point or just refused to see it.

You asked a question about why my preferences in uniform wear during an interview and my response was not meant that is how an IG investigation was performed, but you knew that. You used my reference to go into a tirade as to how investigations should be done...

I know you have taken the basic  (tech) IG course, but have  YOU conducted any investigations (not inspections) at the wing level?

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:33:11 AM

You asked a question about why my preferences in uniform wear during an interview and my response was not meant that is how an IG investigation was performed, but you knew that. You used my reference to go into a tirade as to how investigations should be done...

I know you have taken the basic  (tech) IG course, but have  YOU conducted any investigations (not inspections) at the wing level?

Have you?
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Eclipse

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:33:11 AMYou asked a question about why my preferences in uniform wear during an interview and my response was not meant that is how an IG investigation was performed,

Actually, you never answered the question, you just quoted Wikipedia about some non-CAP training.

I know you have taken the basic  (tech) IG course, but have YOU conducted any investigations (not inspections) at the wing level?

I am not an IG, and I don't play one on TV.  However it said "Commander" on my business card for about 7 years, I have completed L-IV, and have served in a few staff positions which had wing-level+ impact, so I have a pretty good idea how things work in CAP.  You can correct me at any point I say something not supported by a regulation or your experience.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on November 16, 2011, 04:40:44 AM

Have you?

Previously asked and answered.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 04:41:54 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:33:11 AMYou asked a question about why my preferences in uniform wear during an interview and my response was not meant that is how an IG investigation was performed,

Actually, you never answered the question, you just quoted Wikipedia about some non-CAP training.

I know you have taken the basic  (tech) IG course, but have YOU conducted any investigations (not inspections) at the wing level?

I am not an IG, and I don't play one on TV.  However it said "Commander" on my business card for about 7 years, I have completed L-IV, and have served in a few staff positions which had wing-level+ impact, so I have a pretty good idea how things work in CAP.  You can correct me at any point I say something not supported by a regulation or your experience.

And I respect your command background. I have years performing both simple and complex civil & criminal investigations, so I do have a grasp on them.  I did not reply to your uniform question directly to avoid a protected debate, yet again on this issue. I provided you a reference so you could better understand my investigative choices.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:50:33 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 04:41:54 AM

And I respect your command background. I have years performing both simple and complex civil & criminal investigations, so I do have a grasp on them.  I did not reply to your uniform question directly to avoid a protected debate, yet again on this issue. I provided you a reference so you could better understand my investigative choices.

So, we have a uniform thread that devolved (evolved?) into a discussion of IG activities (among other things). This is an interesting twist here on CAPTalk!  :clap:
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

a2capt

This is like watching someone digging one hole to fill another, that in the meantime became a sinkhole, so when they come up for air they look and see no progress. Just a second hole getting bigger.

Major Lord

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 03:38:27 AM
Well, for starters, how would wearing a uniform impede your function?

"So it's a police lesson that you want Boy-O" (From a movie).  Just not going there, already been berated enough for my opinion about uniforms.

If you really want to know about interviews during an investigation here is the "method" that I was trained in at GLYNCO:

"The Reid technique is a method of questioning subjects and assessing their credibility. The technique consists of a non-accusatory interview combining both investigative and behavior-provoking questions. If the investigative information indicates that the subject committed the crime in question, the Reid Nine Steps of Interrogation are utilized to persuade the subject to tell the truth about what they did".

There are a lot of good books on the subject and FYI, most interviews are more like what you see on detective shows on the BBC, rather then our TV cop shows.

The Reid School? Your interview Gung fu is weak! Wicklander Zulawski brought us out of the stone age of Interview and Interrogation! Just joshing you there, Mr. Clam. Reid is known as a "badge heavy" technique in the industry, where Wicklander's technique became the industry standard when most employment related polygraph tests became illegal.
I am admittedly, a graduate of the Wicklander School of Interview and Interrogation, and a Licensed Private Investigator in California, but from what I have seen of the IG process, my skill set is nearly meaningless in the context of CAP IG processes. ( I am not a CAP IG: I am a paid professional)

I think it was interesting about your being in "The Militia". The Second Act of Militia, 1792, provides for all able bodied white males between the ages of 18 and 42 to be members of the irregular (state)  militia, and to be summoned to suppress insurrection or invasion against foreign invaders and Indian Tribes.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JeffDG

Quote from: Major Lord on November 16, 2011, 03:40:30 PM
I think it was interesting about your being in "The Militia". The Second Act of Militia, 1792, provides for all able bodied white males between the ages of 18 and 42 to be members of the irregular (state)  militia, and to be summoned to suppress insurrection or invasion against foreign invaders and Indian Tribes.
Forget 1792, Currently:  Title 10 United States Code § 311
Quote(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

Major Lord

Quote from: JeffDG on November 16, 2011, 04:10:32 PM
Quote(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

It hardly seems fair does it? All guys are instant members, but a female has to join the Guard! The question for is somewhat moot now, since the National Guard is clearly the "regular" militia, and all other able bodied males are members of the assigned age are "irregular Militia", almost everybody is in "the militia!"

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JeffDG

Quote from: Major Lord on November 16, 2011, 04:36:11 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on November 16, 2011, 04:10:32 PM

It hardly seems fair does it? All guys are instant members, but a female has to join the Guard! The question for is somewhat moot now, since the National Guard is clearly the "regular" militia, and all other able bodied males are members of the assigned age are "irregular Militia", almost everybody is in "the militia!"

Major Lord
I'm not, and yes, I am in the age range.

Smokey

Anybody noticed that Harshell....still...hasn't answered directly the questions put to him????

He must be a politician or a boxer in the way he ducks and weaves answering the direct questions put to him.  I'm sure he'll have an equeally vague response to this post too.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Major Lord

Well, when those Indian tribes try and invade America Mister, don't expect to be on the phone tree list! There are lots of reasons you could not be in the Irregular Militia, you could have been "2b'd" or Court Marshaled by a tribunal of  Militia Officers, not be, or planning to be, an American Citizen, not be able-bodied ( or able minded) etc. Or are you just making the point that the law does not apply to you? I am too old officially , but I could still open a can of grade B whopass if Canada gets uppity and swarms our borders!

Major Lord

JeffDG

Quote from: Major Lord on November 16, 2011, 05:03:41 PM
Well, when those Indian tribes try and invade America Mister, don't expect to be on the phone tree list! There are lots of reasons you could not be in the Irregular Militia, you could have been "2b'd" or Court Marshaled by a tribunal of  Militia Officers, not be, or planning to be, an American Citizen, not be able-bodied ( or able minded) etc. Or are you just making the point that the law does not apply to you? I am too old officially , but I could still open a can of grade B whopass if Canada gets uppity and swarms our borders!

Major Lord
Ahhh, but we Canadians are all among you!

And actually, a "Declaration of Intent to Naturalize" is a rather worthless document from USCIS that you can file, and pay $250 for the privilege of doing so, with no known benefit for doing so.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on November 16, 2011, 04:40:44 AM
Quote from: Hardshell Clam on November 16, 2011, 04:09:11 AM
I know you have taken the basic  (tech) IG course, but have  YOU conducted any investigations (not inspections) at the wing level?[/color]
Have you?

As I recall, I have already responded to this question.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Eclipse on November 16, 2011, 03:38:27 AM
Well, for starters, how would wearing a uniform impede your function?

"So it's a police lesson that you want Boy-O" (From a movie).  Just not going there, already been berated enough for my opinion about uniforms.

If you really want to know about interviews during an investigation here is the "method" that I was trained in at GLYNCO:

There are a lot of good books on the subject and FYI, most interviews are more like what you see on detective shows on the BBC, rather then our TV cop shows.

The Reid School? Your interview Gung fu is weak! Wicklander Zulawski brought us out of the stone age of Interview and Interrogation! Just joshing you there, Mr. Clam. Reid is known as a "badge heavy" technique in the industry, where Wicklander's technique became the industry standard when most employment related polygraph tests became illegal.
I am admittedly, a graduate of the Wicklander School of Interview and Interrogation, and a Licensed Private Investigator in California, but from what I have seen of the IG process, my skill set is nearly meaningless in the context of CAP IG processes. ( I am not a CAP IG: I am a paid professional)

Major Lord

I was just saying that is the program I took at GLYNCO is all, as part of CI basic.  I was clearly stating as to where I developed a skill set and NOT how the IG works. And can you tell me that your background and training would not be of any use as an investigating officer? As to your school being better at my school, I bet we could wup you in a food fight! ;) The Reid school is still being taught at police academies all ovet the world.

And, I was a uniformed drill going  member of the SDF/State Military Force/Militia or what ever some folks want it called.

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: Smokey on November 16, 2011, 04:54:54 PM
Anybody noticed that Harshell....still...hasn't answered directly the questions put to him????

He must be a politician or a boxer in the way he ducks and weaves answering the direct questions put to him.  I'm sure he'll have an equeally vague response to this post too.

I thought I answered the questions posted at Reply #124 on: Yesterday at 07:22:47 PM.
The question:
"Answer how long you have been in cap, and how long you served in the military, and im pretty sure 90% of the snide comments about you would stop".

I responded:
7 years reg army, reserves and militia. 2 years CAP. But then as I am a phony what would prevent me from answering the question falsely? Wait, its my master plan to conquer the CAPTalk then the world! 

So, I DID answer the questions put to me and your comment above is uncalled for.

SARDOC