BDUs are now Obsolete

Started by Smithsonia, November 04, 2011, 11:47:03 PM

Smithsonia

The Air Force has eliminated BDUs. In the press release I read but can not now find - the mandatory replacement date is 10-1-11 and applies to all
subordinate units. http://www.maxwellgunterdispatch.com/article/20111104/DISPATCH01/111103030/1114/DISPATCH

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/air-force-mandates-an-updated-uniform-1279704.html
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Eclipse

The Navy still wears them, and will continue to wear them until at least 2012 - saw them with my own eyes last week.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

The Coast Guard units that support Combat Operations still wear BDU's.

titanII

No longer active on CAP talk

Майор Хаткевич

PHall

Quote from: Smithsonia on November 04, 2011, 11:47:03 PM
The Air Force has eliminated BDUs. In the press release I read but can not now find - the mandatory replacement date is 10-1-11 and applies to all
subordinate units. http://www.maxwellgunterdispatch.com/article/20111104/DISPATCH01/111103030/1114/DISPATCH

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/air-force-mandates-an-updated-uniform-1279704.html

As per AFI 36-2903 the mandatory wear date for the ABU was 1 November 2011.

The CyBorg is destroyed

So are they now regarded as "CAP-distinctive," since they are no longer an AF uniform?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

davidsinn

Quote from: CyBorg on November 05, 2011, 07:10:49 AM
So are they now regarded as "CAP-distinctive," since they are no longer an AF uniform?

Not likely.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

AngelWings

There should be a big push to get them out to CAP, if things are happening like they are in my neck of the woods. I wish they'd just start a phase in already for the ABU's, it wouldn't kill anyone if everybody wasn't wearing the same exact uniforms. If somebody wants to buy themselves a full set, including boots, then good on 'em.

DrJbdm

Radioman still wears them, but they are colored bright red!  ;D

Thrashed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 05, 2011, 04:42:17 AM
Quote from: titanII on November 05, 2011, 02:56:59 AM
CAP still wears BDU's...

CAP is not a major mil-spec BDU user.

62,000 members is enough to keep them coming.

Save the triangle thingy

DrJbdm

62,000 CAP members are not required to wear them. I wear a flight suit 80% of the time that I am in a CAP uniform. If all 62,000 members were required to wear BDU's on a regular full time basis, we might have some sway in keeping them being produced.

ironputts

Hello all! Looks like another uniform discussion. I would like to list my facts and thoughts on this never ending subject. Remember even when we change to another uniform set this discussion will continue!

FACTS:

1. Air Force has eliminated the BDU as a uniform. Effective 11/1/2011
2. Civil Air Patrol still authorizes the wear of the BDU.
3. BDU supplies (boots, belts, hats etc.) will be strained in the future.
4. Civil Airt Patrol is not authorized to wear the ABU.
5. Civil Air Patrol NB authorized a Uniform Committee for future recommendations.
6. All CAP uniform changes must be approved by the Air Force.
7. CAP has so many uniform variations to provide a distinction in our own organization.

THOUGHTS and QUESTIONS:

1. The Air Force (Defense Department) is looking to move away from the ABU to something else so I dont see CAP getting ABU anytime soon or more importantly ever.
2. What is the relationship between a military organization (USAF) and a civilian non-profit organization (CAP) regarding similiar wear of uniforms? (Take the side of the Air Force rather than CAP and provide your thoughts)
3. What would happen if we go to a non-military uniform? Would it effect any of our missions?
4. What if we choose a miltary uniform that doesnt emulate the Air Force uniform? (Take the side of the Air Force again and provide your thoughts)
5. I believe our relationship with the Air Force will change as the Air Force has made it clear it wants a distinction. The distinction can be discussed here or started on another POST.
6. The Air Force also made it clear it wants CAP to remain a strong organization and provide our three missions. We are a valued organization to the Air Force and to this nation.
7. To serve in a volunteer organization with the missions of CAP will always be my honor and priviledge.

Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

Thrashed

Quote from: DrJbdm on November 05, 2011, 02:01:56 PM
62,000 CAP members are not required to wear them. I wear a flight suit 80% of the time that I am in a CAP uniform. If all 62,000 members were required to wear BDU's on a regular full time basis, we might have some sway in keeping them being produced.

Even if 1/2 of the 62,000  members owned more than one set of BDU's; its still 62,000+ uniforms. I only have two sets of BDU's myself. Cadets going to camp are required to have about 4 sets of them (my daughter did). It's enough profit for someone to make them.

Save the triangle thingy

RiverAux

Quote from: Thrashed on November 05, 2011, 01:47:15 PM
CAP still wears BDU's...

Probably more like 30-35 thousand seeing as how most seniors don't have them. 

Thrashed

Quote from: ironputts on November 05, 2011, 02:04:36 PM

FACTS:

Fact?  I don't think so.

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: RiverAux on November 05, 2011, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: Thrashed on November 05, 2011, 01:47:15 PM
CAP still wears BDU's...

Probably more like 30-35 thousand seeing as how most seniors don't have them.

More like 100,000+ since most cadets have numerous sets of BDU's and many seniors too (some of us do ground SAR too).

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: DrJbdm on November 05, 2011, 02:01:56 PM

I'd bet less than 40% of the membership wear camo BDU's, with a big chunk of them being cadets.

Not all cadets have BDUs, and only a very small percentage have more than one set.  Further, the tempo at which CAP wears them
makes them last forever.  I still have serviceable uniforms from 1999.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on November 05, 2011, 02:27:42 PMEven if 1/2 of the 62,000  members owned more than one set of BDU's; its still 62,000+ uniforms. I only have two sets of BDU's myself. Cadets going to camp are required to have about 4 sets of them (my daughter did). It's enough profit for someone to make them.

Cadets going to encampments are not "required to have 4 sets".

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on November 05, 2011, 02:29:52 PM
Quote from: ironputts on November 05, 2011, 02:04:36 PM

FACTS:

Fact?  I don't think so.

+1 another - this is nonsense.

"That Others May Zoom"