question about rank insignia

Started by paladin82, October 30, 2011, 12:40:13 PM

paladin82

I need some help.  I will soon be promoted to 2nd Lt, and this will be my first insignia purchase from Vanguard.  I want to get some epaulets for: 1) the service dress tunic; 2) the lightweight jacket, and; 3) the dress shirt.  I have a ss and an ls shirt, but I don't see any reason to get epaulets for both.

Questions - what is the difference between a regular epaulet and a hook-an-loop epaulet.  Which one would be better for each use?  And do I need to get the epaulet shaper and where is this used?

Thanks.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Congratulations Leftenant! 8)

Service dress tunic and shirts:

Item #CAP0747EA

I personally would get three - a set for your SSS, one for your LSS (that way you don't have to switch back and forth) and one for your service dress tunic.  Also check Evilbay (EBAY); I've got them there from time to time.

Lightweight jacket:
Some come with the epaulettes sewn down, others don't.  For the ones that aren't sewn down, same as #1.  For the ones that are sewn down:

Item #CAP0747K
(These are the hook-and-loop shoulder marks, which is a non-trademarked way of saying Velcro  :P  I would use them ONLY for the lightweight blue jacket or trenchcoat, since they can be a devil to make look good, though some on here have apparently succeeded)

The epaulette shaper is not mandatory, but I've always used them.  They're basically a wire bracket that fit inside the shoulder marks.

Item #8422041
The Real Military (TM) also uses these, so you can find them in Military Clothing Sales if you've a base nearby.

Oh...the colours aren't accurate between the two examples.  The insignia is (or should be!) the same grey shade as your nameplate.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011