Foreign Military Decorations on the CAP uniform

Started by tjhumphries, July 28, 2011, 04:33:59 PM

ol'fido

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 05, 2011, 10:44:17 PM
Except that the last people who were awarded two CMH's were during WWI. (One each from the USMC and the US Army). Last to be awarded for two seperate actions were during the Haiti campaign in 1915.
That's why it's just a movie.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on August 06, 2011, 01:06:45 AM
Quite a few people in the Guard have two ribbon racks made up - one with state ribbons and one without, since they can't wear state ribbons on FAD.

And I'm one of them. My "Guard" rack has 5 more ribbons then my "Air Force" rack does. And you can't wear your "Guard" ribbons on your CAP uniform either.

AC

Well, as of 4-10-11 (military date), I am probably the only CAP member authorized to wear PARU wings. I will be wearing them for our squadron's annual dining in on 11-11-11, Veteran's Day.

If our Wing Commander comes, (She is invited), that would be an honor.

AC

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

AC

Yes, sir. They are pictured somewhere in this thread.

AC

AEO

GroundHawg

Quote from: AC on October 06, 2011, 05:19:47 AM
Well, as of 4-10-11 (military date), I am probably the only CAP member authorized to wear PARU wings. I will be wearing them for our squadron's annual dining in on 11-11-11, Veteran's Day.

AC

I earned 4 different sets of Thai Parachute Wings. I was just informed very specifically that they are not allowed to be worn on a CAP uniform unless I am in Thailand. I also was told that they do not qualify as an Aviation Badge. Im dissapointed, but I will get over it.

I can post the email and replies from Suzie Parker at National if anyone needs it as a reference.

Hawk200

Quote from: GroundHawg on October 06, 2011, 04:20:52 PM
Quote from: AC on October 06, 2011, 05:19:47 AM

AC

I earned 4 different sets of Thai Parachute Wings. I was just informed very specifically that they are not allowed to be worn on a CAP uniform unless I am in Thailand. I also was told that they do not qualify as an Aviation Badge. Im dissapointed, but I will get over it.

I can post the email and replies from Suzie Parker at National if anyone needs it as a reference.
Did a websearch on it, have an idea now.

Too bad on that. I don't see why it's an issue, but if that's what they want to call it. We gotta live with what the higher ups say. Although, I think things like this need to be forwarded to the NB for a vote, and request through the Air Force. We are an Auxiliary with a diversity of backgrounds, I don't see why a few allowances for the nature of our membership can't be considered. (Of course, I don't see why the Air Force frowns on other country decorations. They want to be "joint operations", but it seems that at times, they don't want to look like joint operations.)

Hawk200

Quote from: AC on October 06, 2011, 04:15:25 PM
Yes, sir. They are pictured somewhere in this thread.

AC
Went back through. Sorry, brain cramp. Been awhile since this thread was in the top. They're good looking wings.

AC

Thank you sir. I am proud of them.

I did earn them in a combat environment.

AEO

PHall

I'm still a bit confused here AC. Who exactly gave you the authorization to wear those wings on your CAP uniform?
Because all of the stuff I have seen says they're a no-go.

AC

Now diseased Col. Keith R. Grimes. Air Commando Hall of Fame member.

I'm sorry sir, I misread your question. My Commander here at squadron level.

AEO

wacapgh

CAP Knowledgebase http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1140/~/wear-of-parachutists-badges%2Fdevices specifically addresses this question.

The current AFI 411-02 specifically says that parachuitist badges are not aviation badges (AFI 411-02, 7.4.7) - Their definition, not mine.

Rigger and Air Assualt badges were authorized by the 98th USAF Uniform board in June of 2009.

Our 39-1 has not been revised to match current USAF policy.

AC

With due respect, at one time or another being on jump status was considered aviation. I was the airfoil. I don't know where or when the current regs (USAF) were changed, but in my time we called them wings. Flight status and jump status kind of went together with all the other hazardous duty flying activities.

ETA: These wings were awarded to me for HALO school, not static line. I was already a static line jumpmaster, and then a HALO jumpmaster when I returned from my tour.
At the time, they did not have HALO wings.
Some guys made a couple jumps with our friends and got wings, but I was trained in theater for a mission.

AC

AEO

Hawk200

Quote from: wacapgh on October 06, 2011, 08:03:54 PM
The current AFI 411-02 specifically says that parachuitist badges are not aviation badges (AFI 411-02, 7.4.7) - Their definition, not mine.
From what I recall while active duty when the change took place, the jump wings were no longer listed as a mandatory aviation badge, although they still held the same precedence (meaning that if you had another non-aviation badge, the jump wings were worn above).

With the Air Force, I don't understand the disallowance. (And before someone decides to say that I would violate regs because I disagree, I wouldn't and you'd be wrong.) There is really no reason to disallow them, it's not like the Air Force has to issue them, and it would be a huge, practically no-cost, morale builder.

For CAP, if properly approached, the Air Force might permit some other awards and decorations that they don't permit their people to wear.

And I do strongly believe that there are many that don't want them authorized for the simple fact that they don't have them. I still people that get childish and immature if I even mention that I have Air Force decs. That's sad. We're supposed to be a professional organization, but there is a lot of childish behaviour that is not only tolerated, it's encouraged.

If a guy has foreign jump wings, I think he should be allowed to wear them. He earned them.

lordmonar

The only reason (IF I WERE GOD FOR A DAY) I would not allow them....is simply that they are a) Guady. B) Redudandant, redundant...you already have jump wings...why give you  more because you jumped with some other contry?  C) Not U.S. military insignia....there are lots of badges from other services that we can't wear on USAF (let alone CAP) uniforms why allow one from another contries uniform.

Other then that.....I don't really care one way or the other.

I must point out though.....your squadron commander does not have the authroty to authorise non-us badges.  Need to shoot a request up to NHQ for approval.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: AC on October 06, 2011, 05:54:18 PM
Now diseased Col. Keith R. Grimes. Air Commando Hall of Fame member.

I'm sorry sir, I misread your question. My Commander here at squadron level.

Your Squadron Commander does not have that authority. Neither does your Wing and Region Commanders.

But you seem determined to wear them and nothing anybody says here will change your mind.

Enjoy wearing your wings.

AC

Quote from: lordmonar on October 06, 2011, 10:00:37 PM
I must point out though.....your squadron commander does not have the authroty to authorise non-us badges.  Need to shoot a request up to NHQ for approval.

I guess I will ask my commander to request through channels. It was suggested by more than one person on this forum that I should just ask the commander to put it in my records, with proper documentation, which I have provided to his satisfaction.

AEO

lordmonar

Quote from: AC on October 06, 2011, 10:16:13 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 06, 2011, 10:00:37 PM

I guess I will ask my commander to request through channels. It was suggested by more than one person on this forum that I should just ask the commander to put it in my records, with proper documentation, which I have provided to his satisfaction.
Not dinging you......your commander should have known better.

Good luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AC

I only want to wear them on my dress uniform for our dining out on 11-11-11, Veteran's Day.

AC

AEO

AC

Quote from: AC on October 06, 2011, 10:25:28 PM
I only want to wear them on my dress uniform for our dining in on 11-11-11, Veteran's Day.

AC

Rats! Got me so flustered I punched the wrong button! Man, it was bad enough looking a lot younger in San Francisco airport in 1967 wearing those wings! At least I'm not asking to wear my Gret Beret!

AEO