Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2011, 04:56:51 PM
Already removed - slow down, gents.

I lost you.  What's removed?  The COP ribbon from the uniform?  39-1 states you may wear the highest cadet achievement ribbon earned.  That was my highest achievement.  I refer to my COP ribbon as my "Old Fart Ribbon" and I wear it with pride.

Eclipse

Yes, assuming you can substantiate it to your commander's satisfaction, you can wear it.

I popped off, then 12 people jumped in to tell me I was wrong after I'd already removed it.  Mike put my
bad post back to maintain continuity.

Carry on...

"That Others May Zoom"

Grumpy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2011, 05:19:35 PM
Yes, assuming you can substantiate it to your commander's satisfaction, you can wear it.

I popped off, then 12 people jumped in to tell me I was wrong after I'd already removed it.  Mike put my

Carry on...

Got my original COP cert, signed by Curt LeMay.  And, yes, I have been accused of carrying on  ;D

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2011, 05:19:35 PM

Carry on...
There was a time it wasn't. Don't recall which iterations of 39-1 that had it, and don't feel like going through all my "back issues" of uniform regs, but for a time it wasn't authorized. I think it came back in the last six or seven years.

AC

Well, at least I'm within the regs then! I look like that guy in another thread that didn't earn his, but I did earn mine. I sure wouldn't want to post anything like this if it couldn't be verified. I still like to be involved in flying.

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

The CyBorg is destroyed

My first squadron commander, who became a wing commander and held some sort of regional position, wore his COP ribbon as well.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 01, 2011, 06:07:14 PM
There was a time it wasn't. Don't recall which iterations of 39-1 that had it, and don't feel like going through all my "back issues" of uniform regs, but for a time it wasn't authorized. I think it came back in the last six or seven years.
None of mine specifically exclude it, and as long as 39-1 says you may wear the highest cadet achievement ribbon earned, I'd say go for it.

I currently have copies of the following versions of CAPM 39-1:
1964, has no precedence listing
1983, specifically allows Red, White, and Blue Training Ribbons and Cadet CoP if still available
1987, specifically allows Red, White, and Blue Training Ribbons and Cadet CoP if still available
1997,  only mentions highest cadet achievement ribbon earned
2005, only mentions highest cadet achievement ribbon earned

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AC

Getting back to foreign decorations, too bad I can't wear these beautiful Thai PARU wings the Air Force let me wear. Not too many guys earned them.

AEO

Hawk200

Quote from: AC on August 02, 2011, 02:09:17 PM
Getting back to foreign decorations, too bad I can't wear these beautiful Thai PARU wings the Air Force let me wear. Not too many guys earned them.

The Air Force actually let you wear them? There really hasn't been an allowance for much in the way of foreign badges on the Air Force uniform. Did you have a specific authorization for them?

I know acceptance has been permitted for a while, but actual wear was one of those things the Air Force didn't like to do.

Personally, I never saw a problem with them being worn, it just wasn't authorized.

AC

Yes, they were authorized. I had all the documentation and picture of the award. At that time, the military was proud of the accomplishments of their men. From the Commander on up.

Here is a pic of the wing commander awarding me the BSM, notice the miniature metal ones on my class B's.

AEO

Hawk200

Quote from: AC on August 02, 2011, 03:32:41 PM
Yes, they were authorized. I had all the documentation and picture of the award. At that time, the military was proud of the accomplishments of their men. From the Commander on up.
I've never actually seen anyone in the Air Force wearing foreign badges. Never understood why the Air Force didn't seem to allow it. A set of jump wings from one country seems to be just as good as the ones from Benning.

I do remember a time when the Army forbid anyone who was not Benning qualified from participating in Airborne training in another country in any manner. That put the IAS and FAT trips out as far as earning foreign wings, at least legally. That stipulation has since been removed. Don't know if you could wear them after taking such a trip.

AC

I have heard of some guys getting foreign wings on there own at some time, but, in my case, the training was mandatory for the accomplishment of our mission. I had a Thai PARU body guard/interpreter and we needed HALO training. There was a course of training set up by special operations personnel for the PARU, and I graduated from the course.

AEO

Hawk200

Quote from: AC on August 02, 2011, 04:08:48 PM
I have heard of some guys getting foreign wings on there own at some time, but, in my case, the training was mandatory for the accomplishment of our mission. I had a Thai PARU body guard/interpreter and we needed HALO training. There was a course of training set up by special operations personnel for the PARU, and I graduated from the course.
That is cool. What's really cool is that they put you through a local course instead of shipping you someplace else to come back. Use what you have locally, don't jump through hoops that you don't need to.

Judging from 39-1, it seems like you could wear them legally on the AF style uniform.

flyboy53

AC: What were you? A Combat Comptroller?

The only other time I saw a rack like that with master jump wings was when I worked with a Vietnam-era Combat Comptroller while serving with the Alaskan Air Command at Elmendorf AFB. We used to get into a lot of "playful" bantering back and forth at the time about who was really entitled to wear the blue beret.

If the Air Force authorized it, the CAP can't say no. Simply pull out your orders or what other documentation that made the wings official and make sure that it's in your records.

AC

I worked closely with CC and the PJ's. I was on the original 1st Air Commando Combat Weather Team. We wore a grey beret, and getting that authorized really took a while! ;)

Hope you didn't call him a comptroller! ???

AEO

Hawk200

Quote from: AC on August 02, 2011, 04:56:04 PM
I worked closely with CT and the PJ's. I was on the original 1st Air Commando Combat Weather Team. We wore a grey beret, and getting that authorized really took a while! ;)
You're an Airborne Weather Parachutist?

AC

Yes, used to be! :D They are doing great things now. Just got back about a month ago from seeing their new facilities at Hurlburt.

For those who may be interested, we have a website. You know, I am an AEO! Some cadets may be interested. ;)
At the top, mouse up there and I am one of the guys.
http://www.greyberet.org/forum/

AEO