Wearing CAP Blues in Airport

Started by capsr, June 23, 2011, 11:40:01 PM

Persona non grata

Quote from: indygreg on June 28, 2011, 01:56:00 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 27, 2011, 09:31:37 PMI was body scanned once, and the machine, I am told, was fixed in about a week, however the woman running it needed several months of counseling.

Now THAT'S funny! :clap:

epic :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

jks19714

A couple of years ago, I was traveling through Philadelphia International Airport on FEMA travel orders.  I had a cardiac stress test the day before and was still VERY much a gamma source on legs.

I found out how many radiation detectors they had that day.  They weren't amused when I told them I was on my way to an undisclosed location.  >:D

Old RADEF Officers never die, we just decay exponentially.
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

titanII

Quote from: jks19714 on June 29, 2011, 08:48:26 PM
Old RADEF Officers never die, we just decay exponentially.
Nice one ::)
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

Not directly related, but since this thread drifted to TSA issues...

((*sign*))

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/30/flight.stowaway/

There are "tells", "clues", and "red flags".  This was an ANSI Compliant retroreflective vest full of "no fly"...

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

This didn't happen in an airport, and I wasn't wearing my CAP blues.

In fact, I wasn't wearing a uniform...just having lunch with my wife wearing civvies with a USAF baseball cap that a recruiter gave out.

Two Army officers in ACU came in, and one, a Major, wearing 82nd Airborne shoulder flash with Ranger and Sapper tabs, came over and asked me if I knew a place where his boss (his term) could get a good military haircut.

I'm going to assume, falsely or not, that my baseball cap caused the Major to seek me out for such a question.

I got up and went with him to where his "boss"...an O-8!...was standing.

I said, "Sir, I am a Captain in the Civil Air Patrol (clarifying I wasn't in the AF) and in most cases we must adhere to military grooming standards," going on to give him a few recommendations for haircuts.  The General and the Major both thanked me and we all went about our business.

Point?  Whether or not a CAP officer is in uniform, in an airport or otherwise, always be prepared (props to my old Boy Scout experience) to exhibit professional conduct reflecting on CAP and the Air Force when dealing with the public and/or the military.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on June 30, 2011, 05:17:31 PMPoint?  Whether or not a CAP officer is in uniform, in an airport or otherwise, always be prepared (props to my old Boy Scout experience) to exhibit professional conduct reflecting on CAP and the Air Force when dealing with the public and/or the military.

Kudos.  In general a lot of us tend to have shorter hair, better bearing, and are more polite than the general public, and tend, I think, to stand out.

Even those of us with no prior military experience tend to "get it" more than the average person.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

This topic has been brought up from time to time, putting regulation aside, there's wide opinion amongst members about it.

My opinion is if the member  wears the uniform correctly, acts proper in public (isn't doing foolish things etc) and making a good example of CAP, I don't see any reason to ridicule or "laugh" at them.  Respect and integrity.   NOW if that member is going out there, making a fool of themselves and doing discredit to CAP, yes, point them out.  However, apparently for some, if you wear your uniform proudly and conduct yourself properly, you are still guilty.  (I agree with NIN's post as well.)

As far as my experiences, yes, I have gone through commercial airports in service dress. I don't think TSA treated me any different then any other person, same line as all other people, shoes off, jacket, belt off, naked scanner, etc was the same.  I'm a frequent flyer so I'm used to "the drill" when going through airport security.  One thing I do recommend if you do decide to travel is carry one or two CAP pamphlets in your carry-on, it helps if anyone wants to ask you about CAP.

lycan1138

Persona non grata

I wear my blues to the Airport at least once a month.......I always get strange looks from passengers.  A guy once asked what airline I flew for that was pretty funny. MY Group HQ office is at a commercial airport  >:D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

airdale12

Quote from: AdAstra on June 24, 2011, 12:17:49 AM
See CAP Knowledgebase #1051:
Yes you have that option. Members who choose to wear a military-style uniform when traveling by commercial means (other than to and from local CAP activities) will wear the service dress uniform or light blue, short or long sleeve shirt/blouse with tie/tab.

I've seen a number of members do this. Personally, I find it more comfortable to wear civvies.

wat does this mean?? "Kill the triangle thingy"??

...these things we do that others may live...

AngelWings

Quote from: airdale12 on July 01, 2011, 06:08:14 AM
Quote from: AdAstra on June 24, 2011, 12:17:49 AM
See CAP Knowledgebase #1051:
Yes you have that option. Members who choose to wear a military-style uniform when traveling by commercial means (other than to and from local CAP activities) will wear the service dress uniform or light blue, short or long sleeve shirt/blouse with tie/tab.

I've seen a number of members do this. Personally, I find it more comfortable to wear civvies.

wat does this mean?? "Kill the triangle thingy"??
It means what it says. Kill the dang Triangle CAP symbol because it looks so corny.

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: Major Lord on June 24, 2011, 12:48:21 AM
It could be a false impression, but it always looks to me like the TSA gives special attention to service members in uniform. Maybe they just love to watch people struggle with re-blousing their trousers after having to take off their boots. At least in service dress, you don't have to completely disgrace yourself by being the half-naked CAP guy....
I liked the HBO film ( Taking Chance) with Kevin Bacon when he told the TSA to pound sand ( or words to that effect) when they told him to take off his jacket while on a KIA return mission. Its not the same with us, admittedly, but I bet you that many more of us have shed blood sweat and occasionally tears ( well, the former Navy guys at least) in our uniforms than those Nazis in TSA.

Major Lord

"I will not denegrate this uniform. Take me to a private room, and wand me there."

God I love that movie, one of few to make me shead a tear at the end.
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: Fubar on June 24, 2011, 05:29:32 AM
Quote from: nesagsar on June 24, 2011, 12:16:58 AMMembers are usually encouraged to wear a uniform (usually blues with the lightweight blue jacket) when on travel to or from CAP activities.

Encouraged? Must be a local thing, because it's not encouraged around here. Even the cadets have been traveling in civvies as ordered by the NCSAs they are attending.

Its the same here.

Most NCSA's encourage you NOT to travel in uniform. I've been to one that did, simply as a visability thing, it helps the CAP people at the Airport picking you up to find you. But most activities Ive been to say its a big no no.
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

afgeo4

Just FYI about traveling in uniform. Basic ORM and OPSEC rules dictate over and over and over again that when you stick out, you make yourself a target. When you wear the symbols of the U.S. government, you make yourself a target. Now some of you may think it's brave and noble to be a target to those who "dislike" our government, but the government seems to think that you taking unnecessary risks with a government asset (you) is irresponsible. Also, please stop to think that while you're making yourself a bigger target, you're also making the people around you a bigger target. That's also irresponsible.

There is NO need for you to travel in any uniform to any CAP activity. We aren't first responders and we don't jump into battle off of jetways. There just isn't a situation where you cannot take 15 minutes to change into a uniform once you arrive.

Look at it this way, your stupid ego may cost someone sitting next to you their life. That someone will be someone's mother/sister/daughter/father/son, etc.
GEORGE LURYE

cnitas

Quote from: afgeo4 on July 12, 2011, 05:26:33 PM
Just FYI about traveling in uniform. Basic ORM and OPSEC rules dictate over and over and over again that when you stick out, you make yourself a target. When you wear the symbols of the U.S. government, you make yourself a target. Now some of you may think it's brave and noble to be a target to those who "dislike" our government, but the government seems to think that you taking unnecessary risks with a government asset (you) is irresponsible. Also, please stop to think that while you're making yourself a bigger target, you're also making the people around you a bigger target. That's also irresponsible.

There is NO need for you to travel in any uniform to any CAP activity. We aren't first responders and we don't jump into battle off of jetways. There just isn't a situation where you cannot take 15 minutes to change into a uniform once you arrive.

Look at it this way, your stupid ego may cost someone sitting next to you their life. That someone will be someone's mother/sister/daughter/father/son, etc.

Really?  I have heard this same line since I was in the Army 15 years ago, and it makes just as little sense now as it did then.

Seriously, when was the last time that a member of the Armed Forces, or anyone else for that matter,  targeted, hurt, or killed as a result of wearing their uniform on a US domestic flight? 

That said, I try not to wear anything except shorts and t-shirts and sandals when travelling due to the security dance.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

PHall

Quote from: cnitas on July 12, 2011, 06:11:20 PM

Really?  I have heard this same line since I was in the Army 15 years ago, and it makes just as little sense now as it did then.

Seriously, when was the last time that a member of the Armed Forces, or anyone else for that matter,  targeted, hurt, or killed as a result of wearing their uniform on a US domestic flight? 

That said, I try not to wear anything except shorts and t-shirts and sandals when travelling due to the security dance.

Sandals??? You must not want to be able to survive the emergency evacuation. Going down the slide with just sandals to help stop you at the end sounds painful.

Luis R. Ramos

Although I have not been in a situation where I have to travel wearing my CAP uniform in an airport, I had to change clothing when attending other places and activities. For those of you that advocate changing into a uniform if going to a CAP activity that requires arrival in uniform. Where are you going to change? In an airport bathroom? If so, where are you placing your clothes/socks/etc? Most bathroom floors are dirty, and even those that appear to mop up floors are dirty with u@@@@. Do you think that walking on socks in that floor is healthy? Where are you hanging your pants? Public bathrooms usually do not have a place to hang or keep clothes temporarily while you change into another. And how do you get pants on without dragging the trousers through the floor? In short, I believe that if you are going to change after arrival is an unhealthy act. The only safe way is to rent a bedroom at a hotel.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

cnitas

Quote from: PHall on July 12, 2011, 06:42:26 PM

Sandals??? You must not want to be able to survive the emergency evacuation. Going down the slide with just sandals to help stop you at the end sounds painful.

Nah, I've got hobbit feet.  Only with slightly less hair.    :)
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

titanII

Quote from: cnitas on July 12, 2011, 08:13:56 PM
Nah, I've got hobbit feet.  Only with slightly less hair.    :)
:o
No longer active on CAP talk

afgeo4

Quote from: cnitas on July 12, 2011, 06:11:20 PM

There is a history of US military personnel being targeted by hijackers on commercial flights (US Navy specifically.)  There is a history of targeting military personnel in uniform here in the States (Ft. Dix, Ft. Hood, etc.)  There is a history of hijacking of domestic flights by persons targeting the U.S. government (9/11.) 

You either just love to argue or can't add 2 and 2 together.
GEORGE LURYE