Regulations to get "maksman", "sharpshooter", ect.?

Started by C/MSgt Durant, April 13, 2011, 12:02:05 AM

C/MSgt Durant

I cannot find the regulation that explains to me how to obtain a "sharpshooter" badge. Can someone please help me?

Eclipse

As of today, you can no longer earn this badge in the Civil Air Patrol.

The only badge we had was the NRA-Sponsored training activity which was changed and is no longer addressed in our regulations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2011, 12:24:40 AM
As of today, you can no longer earn this badge in the Civil Air Patrol.

The only badge we had was the NRA-Sponsored training activity which was changed and is no longer addressed in our regulations.
I wish everyone knew that. I'm still seeing just about every NRA badge under the sun being worn by cadets. And I'm constantly losing the battle when I speak up about it.

Eclipse

We can only do what we can do, and once we make the effort, sit back and let people be goobers.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2011, 12:55:17 AM
We can only do what we can do, and once we make the effort, sit back and let people be goobers.
I know, but it's hard not to be irked by willful disregard of the uniform.

majdomke

Hey guys, can you please let me know when this reg changed? I was under the impression that NRA marksmanship badges could be worn and haven't seen anything to the contrary. Thank you.

CAPM 39-1 Table 6-2: Item 11

jimmydeanno

Quote from: ltdomke on April 13, 2011, 04:31:17 PM
Hey guys, can you please let me know when this reg changed? I was under the impression that NRA marksmanship badges could be worn and haven't seen anything to the contrary. Thank you.

CAPM 39-1 Table 6-2: Item 11

The regulation hasn't changed, which is the issue.  The badge described in that table applies to a program that doesn't exist anymore.  So, if you take an NRA marksmanship course and get a badge, it isn't going to be the one authorized. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

Ah, so because its now called the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program the cadets can no longer wear the medals when won.

manfredvonrichthofen

I really think there should be a program for marksmanship training again. This time though I think it should be taught by the military. Give a badge for it instead of a ribbon. The biggest reason for me wanting a marksmanship program is that while in that sort of training there is more focus on familiarization and gun safety than there is actually focus on marksmanship. Teaching youth about gun safety is so dang important because of how often many kids interact with firearms. I believe it is so important I have started my six year old daughter with an airsoft rifle, and when she turns eight she will start using an actual BB gun and progressing from there. Why? Because I want my daughter to not be afraid of guns, and to know how to use them properly should she decide to have one herself later, or if she comes in contact with one without me.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

Correct on the above reference to the NRA marksmanship program (I know there are other NRA Certified Instructors here)
Reminds me of the encampment C/CC who was wearing his Army Expert Marksman badge and refused to remove it because "he earned it".

arajca

The badge that is authorized is the "Junior National Rifle Association Marksmanship Badge". Since this badge is no longer awarded, and appearently has not been for some time, no NRA badges are authorized on the uniform. The multi-level program now offered by the NRA is not the same as the Junior NRA Marksmanship program, therefore the current badges are not authorized.

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad2-4 on April 14, 2011, 09:47:13 AM
Correct on the above reference to the NRA marksmanship program (I know there are other NRA Certified Instructors here)
Reminds me of the encampment C/CC who was wearing his Army Expert Marksman badge and refused to remove it because "he earned it".

In these parts we refer to those cadets as "Former "...

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

Quote from: Eclipse on April 14, 2011, 01:44:47 PM

He could have been in the Guard or Reserves...

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on April 14, 2011, 11:44:09 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 14, 2011, 01:44:47 PM

He could have been in the Guard or Reserves...
In which case, he was a knucklehead soldier, too. Any decent soldier would have asked first, or asked to see the pub on it.

Wearing an unauthorized award is wearing an unauthorized award. Refusing to remove it when he should have known to not wear it in the first place should have resulted in "Former" status on the spot. (Not that it's that quick, but it should be.)

I've got marksmanship badges from the Army, too. You'll never see it on my CAP uniform.

GroundHawg

What stinks about this issue is the intent. Yes, the wording has changed. So technically according to the way the regs are worded, cadets can no longer wear the marksmanship badges. But the intent of the regs is for cadets to do just that. So its a case of cadets being denied the chance to wear an earned badge while getting some great training that is fun and will stick with them for life.

Yet another reason that we need a updated and very current uniform manual.

Ned

^^

I certainly agree that we need the updated 39-1.  But part of the problem is a shortage of CAP members who are familiar enough with current NRA doctrine and programs that can draft appropriate language.

Heck, if we can get it together, I would bring it to the uniform committee personally, and even suggest an ICL.

Any volunteers to put together a suggested paragraph or two?

Ned Lee