Main Menu

Boonie Cover

Started by c/LTCOLorbust, December 26, 2006, 01:46:59 AM

brasda91

Quote from: MIKE on December 26, 2006, 03:13:54 AM
You can only authorize what you are authorized to authorize.

Per CAPM 39-1    23 March 2005
The wing/region commander has authority to approve the following items for
wear within his/her wing: (a) Shoulder cords. Not more than one shoulder
cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (see
Figure 5-2). Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all
primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National
level, blue at region level, and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP
Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear
white shoulder cords. Honor Guardsmen will wear silver shoulder cords; (b)
scarves; (c) white gloves; (d) white and black belts; (e) helmet liners. Color to
be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for
wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white
and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20.

and

Wing/region approved items will be worn only within the boundaries of the
authorizing commander.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

MIKE

Mike Johnston

brasda91

Quote from: MIKE on February 06, 2007, 06:33:38 PM
^ Your point?  ???

No where in 39-1 does it say anything about the Wing CC being authorized to approve Boonies.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

MIKE

I never said they were authorized, and the point of my "You can only authorize what you are authorized to authorize." was directed at those commanders who have authorized uniform items for which they do not have the authority to authorize.

I know all about Table 1-3.
Mike Johnston

alamrcn

Minne-snow-ta Wing has a uniform suplimental that says the following...

Table 2-3 Line 6, Table 2-4 Line 6, Figure 2-26 Note 5, Figure 2-28 Note 5 Added: Stocking caps and ski masks. Members may wear stocking caps and ski masks at winter activities.  Blaze orange will be worn during field emergency services operations.

Makes sense to me... but according to the Boonie discussion here, this is also illegal?

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

MIKE

Do a search for stocking caps and ski masks in CAPM 39-1.
Mike Johnston

alamrcn

Quote from: MIKE on February 26, 2007, 10:31:36 PM

For a second there, I thought maybe the aged wing supliment had been made obsolete by some newer addition to the 39-1. However, my PDF-reader usage skills (at limited as they are) could not come up with the terms "stocking" or "masks" or similar in the manual.

One of the Ground Team documents aparently talks of a "knit cap" or "hood" - but that is more in terms of an ES tool rather than a uniform item. Are Boonie hats tools or uniform items?

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Pylon

Quote from: alamrcn on February 27, 2007, 12:11:58 AM
Quote from: MIKE on February 26, 2007, 10:31:36 PM

For a second there, I thought maybe the aged wing supliment had been made obsolete by some newer addition to the 39-1.

That's because there's no ability given to Wing Commanders to authorize such uniform items.  What Wing Commanders can authorize is neatly spelled out in CAPM 39-1.  Baseball caps and berets?  Yes.  Blaze orange stocking caps?  No.

Plus, if the supplement was written before the latest CAPM 39-1, it is automatically null and void regardless of its contents. 

Quote from: alamrcn on February 27, 2007, 12:11:58 AM
Are Boonie hats tools or uniform items?

Headgear is a uniform item.  A wrench is a tool.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

shorning

Quote from: Pylon on February 27, 2007, 12:15:39 AM
A wrench is a tool.  :)

I thought you were going to say something else there for a minute.   ;)

Hawk200

Plus, if the supplement was written before the latest CAPM 39-1, it is automatically null and void regardless of its contents.

I wish more people knew about this. I've seen people try to quote supplements from two or three publication dates ago.

I remember arguing with one member over a National supplement to the 39-1 that was dated to 1987 or so. The current pub (at the time) was 1991. Had something to do with ribbons not being authorized on the blue shirts/blouses. Told him that supplements to older publications weren't valid. He got heated about it, said he was going to talk to wing. Never heard anything about it later, so I guess wing corrected him.

Seems like it was pretty standard to use the old suplement, instead of just rewriting it with current dates, and having the wing CC just sign a new copy. After removing anything that wouldn't be authorized under the current reg, of course. Then again, sometimes the supplement contents being matched up to current chapters too.

alamrcn

Did not know that!  I think the actual suppliment document is probably dated as being authored when Steve Horning was still a member here <G!>  Hoever, I have seen on this or other docs with repatitious signatures and re-approval dates that might align with national regulations as they come out. Will have to look into it and see for sure!

Am I a tool or a uniform item?  ;D

When an ES manual or taskbook mentions wear of a stocking cap (uniform item) in cold weather, does the 39-1 then trump that because it is not listed there?

I realize this is a rediculous question, because who wouldn't protect themselves in cold weather no matter what 39-1 says? But the answer to the question then leads to the other dirrection about more approriate headgear for extreme heat and sun!

Maj "Ace" Tool
Minne-snow-ta Wing

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

Well actually by regulation it has to be reissued or resended withing six months of the new basic publication date.  So "automatically" is not actually true.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

floridacyclist

Someone needs to correct the Flightline Reference Text. Under "hats", it says:

Boonie hats offer the most solar protection and have a sewn in retention strap. If boonie hats are
used the strap must be kept tight under the chin to be effective.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on February 27, 2007, 05:30:59 PM
I realize this is a rediculous question, because who wouldn't protect themselves in cold weather no matter what 39-1 says?

How about finding ways to protect yourself and still comply with 39-1?
It not THAT hard...

"That Others May Zoom"

Becks

Quote from: Pylon on February 28, 2007, 04:04:46 AM
?
Amen...thought we were done with this debate for a while, guess not.

BBATW

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on February 28, 2007, 09:36:58 PM
Quote from: alamrcn on February 27, 2007, 05:30:59 PM
I realize this is a rediculous question, because who wouldn't protect themselves in cold weather no matter what 39-1 says?

How about finding ways to protect yourself and still comply with 39-1?
It not THAT hard...

There are things that are not accounted for in 39-1. Like temperatures well below freezing. A patrol cap and a field jacket are not sufficient for that. And many people argue that it doesn't matter if it's that cold, you aren't supposed to wear a parka or a watch cap, because it's not in the manual. (I'm not one of them)

High temperatures and a lot of sunlight aren't dealt with either. Other than a lot sunscreen and plenty of fluids, there isn't much you can do within 39-1.

So what options are there?

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

lordmonar

Quote from: cnitas on March 01, 2007, 04:23:43 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on February 28, 2007, 09:45:40 PM

How about common sense?

No Sir...we don't carry that here.....you got's to go down to the Western Auto Store and have them order you some of that from Philly.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: cnitas on March 01, 2007, 04:23:43 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on February 28, 2007, 09:45:40 PM

How about common sense?

Okay, enlighten me. How will common sense keep me from getting frostbite on my ears at 20 degrees?

When you have the answer to that, tell me how it fits within 39-1.