Wear two pair CAP pilot wings simultaneously?

Started by Lead/Lag Hinge, August 26, 2010, 06:07:36 PM

Lead/Lag Hinge

If one has earned both CAP pilot wings and CAP Balloon pilot wings, is it authorized to wear both at the same time (for example, pinned on the Class A or B uniform)?

I cannot find a specific prohibition on a search of CAPM 39-1. Thanks for weighing in!
Jim
JAMES S. MacKAY, II, Lt Col, CAP
Jim@ATPCFII.com
ATP; Helicopter, Airplane S/MEL/S, Sk-65, BE-30
Commercial; LTA (Gas, Airborne Heater), Glider, Gyroplane
CFI; Helicopter, Airplane S/MEL/S, Glider, Gyroplane
CFII; Helicopter, Airplane S/MEL/S

AlphaSigOU

Generally, no, since it's not specifically authorized by CAPM 39-1.

It's not unusual for the RealAirForce­® to wear two different aeronautical ratings (say, a navigator who later becomes a pilot), but you don't see those very often.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Майор Хаткевич

It also looks quite tacky.

A ground rating w/ Air rating above looks great, two sets of wings...not so much. Wear the pair most appropriate to the event is what I'm always told/overhear.

Smithsonia

We have a Former Navy Pilot (Gold Wings) and CAP Pilot (Silver Wings) who wears both on his dress uniform. By the way he is also a Former CAP Wing and Region Commander.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

lordmonar

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 26, 2010, 06:51:18 PM
Generally, no, since it's not specifically authorized by CAPM 39-1.

It's not unusual for the RealAirForce­® to wear two different aeronautical ratings (say, a navigator who later becomes a pilot), but you don't see those very often.

You don't work in the UAV world do you?

I see double wing guys all the time.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davedove

A person can wear both CAP wings and military wings at the same time.  However, I don't see anything about wearing multiple CAP wings.  To me the 39-1 reads that there is a spot for CAP wings and one for military wings; in other words, one of each.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Lead/Lag Hinge

I also have earned both US Army and US Air Force pilot wings. (Slow learner. Had to go to flight school in two Services.)

However, the question only concerns CAP wings, specifically CAP pilot and CAP Balloon pilot wings. I have earned both. It seems like because wearing them is not specifically prohibited, then it is allowed. Thoughts?
Jim
JAMES S. MacKAY, II, Lt Col, CAP
Jim@ATPCFII.com
ATP; Helicopter, Airplane S/MEL/S, Sk-65, BE-30
Commercial; LTA (Gas, Airborne Heater), Glider, Gyroplane
CFI; Helicopter, Airplane S/MEL/S, Glider, Gyroplane
CFII; Helicopter, Airplane S/MEL/S

DBlair

As long as they aren't of the same type of wings (ex: CAP pilot wings + CAP Senior or Command pilot wings, etc.), then I don't really see an issue as they are a different qualification. (Also, as long as it isn't over the max number of badges on a CAP uniform)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

MIKE

Quote from: Lead/Lag Hinge on August 27, 2010, 10:09:36 AMHowever, the question only concerns CAP wings, specifically CAP pilot and CAP Balloon pilot wings. I have earned both. It seems like because wearing them is not specifically prohibited, then it is allowed. Thoughts?

It's not permitted, it's all in how the tables are worded.  It even says that only one CAP aviation badge may be worn on the BDU/Field Uniform.  Just like the people who try to wear two CAP specialty insignia... the wording doesn't account for the second badge worn above the first like it does for the others.
Mike Johnston

GroundHawg

So after reading 35-6 and 60-1, the way I interpret it, concerning the awarding of the Balloon Wings and Glider Wings you have to be a powered flight pilot and these would be a secondary rating? So if a member held a FAA lighter than air license and was not a "regular" pilot they could not wear the Balloon Wings?

Another question concerning two wings being worn at the same time. What if you were a pilot in one frame but had a solo in another type, could you then wear both the Pilot wings and the Solo Badge?

"only one CAP aviation badge may be worn on the BDU/Field Uniform" Could you wear 2 on the blues then?

Pylon

Quote from: GroundHawg on August 27, 2010, 07:32:31 PM
Another question concerning two wings being worn at the same time. What if you were a pilot in one frame but had a solo in another type, could you then wear both the Pilot wings and the Solo Badge?

As Mike pointed out above, by the wording of the tables in CAPM 39-1, neither a set of two CAP wings nor a set of two CAP badges are authorized for wear.  US Armed Forces and CAP aeronautical ratings together, however, appear to be authorized.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

GroundHawg

So I find this photo of a SM, he has on Observer wings, an AF occupational badge on his left above the ribbons, the ES badge on the pocket. Everything there looked great but what struck me as odd was the GT Badge on the other side above the nameplate... is this now kosher? Asethetically it was bad. Looked cluttered.

Hawk200

Quote from: GroundHawg on August 27, 2010, 07:42:12 PM
So I find this photo of a SM, he has on Observer wings, an AF occupational badge on his left above the ribbons, the ES badge on the pocket. Everything there looked great but what struck me as odd was the GT Badge on the other side above the nameplate... is this now kosher? Asethetically it was bad. Looked cluttered.
And the practice would be wrong. I see stuff like that pretty consistently among current and prior service, and it gets on my nerves. A lot of CAP members with no prior military experience look to us for answers on a lot of things, and doing stupid crap like that makes us look bad (not to mention untrustworthy when they find out it's wrong.)