New CAWG Ground Team & UDF Uniform

Started by Smokey, April 16, 2010, 06:12:06 PM

majdomke

Quote from: RVT on May 11, 2011, 11:07:33 PM
Quote from: ltdomke on May 11, 2011, 09:18:00 PMI'm still having a bugger of a time finding the darn shirt that can't be florescent. What I find are shirts that are orange but country western looking, have brown buttons which don't seem to match what is shown in the photos, or just plain out of stock.

http://sq45.cawg.cap.gov/Uniform/CAWG_GTuniform.html
Yes, I'm well aware of that website and the links there to the shirts...
FYI:
Site #1 - Remington has backordered our large shirts until April 2011
Site #2 - Out of stock
You can't order what the site says is backordered or out of stock.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: ltdomke on May 11, 2011, 11:11:57 PM
Site #1 - Remington has backordered our large shirts until April 2011

It's probably a good thing that we're already in May 2011 then.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

majdomke

I know. You'd think they'd change the website to reflect a new date. There's no way to order it, my size has no "Order Now" button. Just the note about being backordered. It's been saying that for months. Same as the other one.

RVT

Quote from: ltdomke on May 11, 2011, 11:11:57 PMSite #1 - Remington has backordered our large shirts until April 2011

I assume you meant to say "June 2011" or some later date.

I actually have four sets of BDU plus the field jacket & liner as the US Army was still using it when I retired.  I converted it all over to CAP only to discover California didn't want me to wear it anymore.  So I did not return to doing ground team operations which is largely what I was involved in from 1983-1990.

What I find amusing is that as soon as it gets cold you put a jacket on over this and the orange is all gone.  I'm hoping the 2012 vest requirement allows BDU to be used again.  It really doesn't matter what you are wearing UNDER one of those.

majdomke

I was just doing a copy/paste of exactly what those websites said about ordering the shirt I need. This is why a preferred vendor should be chosen or use Vanguard. If you're going to mandate a uniform and give members four months to implement them, you need to provide a reliable source for them. If not just for the issue of readiness when you need it but also consistency with color. Just saying Orange and not florescent leaves a lot to interpretation.

Eclipse

Quote from: ltdomke on May 11, 2011, 09:41:15 PM
That's what I was talking about Eclipse. There is a new vest we are mandated to wear by next Oct. We always wore the orange vest. The new one is much better with reflective stripes and yellow so we can be seen on the flightline too. See the pic I posted as reference.

You're required, or we're required?

There is no specific vest mandated, just ANSI-II, which is not really a big deal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: RVT on May 11, 2011, 11:44:34 PMWhat I find amusing is that as soon as it gets cold you put a jacket on over this and the orange is all gone.  I'm hoping the 2012 vest requirement allows BDU to be used again.  It really doesn't matter what you are wearing UNDER one of those.

Once the ANSI requirement kicks in, so does the requirement that outerwear (i.e. the outer most thing) be ANSI as well.  No more hiding your vest under  your TAC gear, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

I guess I missed that. Glad we are all going to it. Very nice and professional looking if we all buy the CAP ones.

a2capt

Well, I'm not buying the orange shirt, or BBDU pants to go with it, just for  a specific purpose. The green bag is the only  "specific purpose" uniform I'm going to deal with, because even that specific purpose still encompasses a lot of scopes.

But for something that I have to wear while in the vehicle while prosecuting the mission, and not while "in the base"? I mean that supplement is absurd the way it's written, and it's still pushing someones pet uniform project. I have the recently distributed ANSI orange vest that CAWG subsidized for member purchase, and I have the one that the book store sold prior, from back then too. When I respond to a mission I'll let the IC know that. If they want me to participate, great! Otherwise ..

The only CAP uniform combinations that I have are all USAF styles. Thats all I really intend on dealing with, too. Especially after the CSU fiasco, I don't trust them to pull the plug on something after introducing it. So why spend money on it.

Even the CalTrans Ground Team uniform has been on/off again before. Changes with the wind and direction of the currently sitting Wing CC.

majdomke

vento

Quote from: ltdomke on May 11, 2011, 09:18:00 PM
...I'm still having a bugger of a time finding the darn shirt that can't be florescent. What I find are shirts that are orange but country western looking, have brown buttons which don't seem to match what is shown in the photos, or just plain out of stock. I've got everything else ready to go and just need an XL shirt that fits the regs then sew all my stuff on. ...

Not agreeing or disagreeing with you. Will something like this work?
http://www.copquest.com/82-4150.htm

majdomke

Great find... thank you!!! I went with the L/S Cotton/Poly and it was just over $20 shipping and tax included with a discount code I found online. Perhaps, since this company is located in CA, a partnership could be formed so we could make them a preferred vendor or something. I can't wait to get my shirt not that it will help me for this weekends eval but I'll let you all know how good it is when I get it. They even had my size, Large/Long.

Eclipse

I might buy a couple of those for motorcycle teaching...

So wait, there's no "official supplier" for this uniform?  CAWG prescribes a non-standard shirt and then doesn't provide
a means to buy it?  What did I miss?

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

You can get the pants at Vanguard but they are nothing more than navy blue BDU's that you can get anywhere. The shirt is on your own and a hat is mentioned but no details given. It looks in the photo examples that its just a navy blue baseball cap. But no idea if I can just wear my squadron baseball cap or whatnot.

Eclipse

OK, seriously, no wonder you're bunched if a uniform is specified and no vendor of choice or even hard definition is given.

A vendor and catalog number should have been provided before the supplement was approved.  That way people could whine
about the choice or find their own, but people wouldn't be shooting in the dark.

It's not bad enough they have to be different, but this leaves the members vulnerable to spending money and sewing and then being
told "wrong one, go home".

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

It is my experience locally (San Diego, Ca), that if you walk into any store that sells safety equipment, and ask for 'CalTrans shirts', you will get something very close to what's offered at the above link. This ain't rocket surgery. The new folks should be able to ask the old-timers where they got their olde shirts, and go from there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on May 13, 2011, 12:56:21 AM
It is my experience locally (San Diego, Ca), that if you walk into any store that sells safety equipment, and ask for 'CalTrans shirts', you will get something very close to what's offered at the above link. This ain't rocket surgery. The new folks should be able to ask the old-timers where they got their olde shirts, and go from there.

If all else fails, call your local CalTrans office and ask them where they get their shirts.
It's not that hard folks....

RVT

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret