New CAWG Ground Team & UDF Uniform

Started by Smokey, April 16, 2010, 06:12:06 PM

JC004

Quote from: Major Lord on April 16, 2010, 11:25:20 PM
Okay, I am confused. I have to wear the BBDU's but can't wear the blouse, only the Caltrans shirt. But I can wear a Blue M1 field jacket as outerwear? If I am wearing my CALTRANS shirt and an M1 BDU Winter Jacket, do I still have to wear the Caltrans vest? Do I sew CAP Bling to the Jacket, and with our without grade?

Major Lord

SILENCE!  HOW DARE YOU USE LOGIC.  APPLYING LOGIC TO ANY CAP UNIFORM PROCESS IS PROHIBITED.

Why does it even matter?  Clearly nobody would ever get lost in the Sierra Nevada.

a2capt

The only "niche" uniform I'm buying, well, have bought, is the green bag.  I'm not buying something else that has an even more limited use.

Basically, you need to have the CALTrans orange on, or the orange vest over whatever you have on.

ZigZag911

Anyone have a clue as to why CA EMA wants this?

Jerry Jacobs

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 17, 2010, 05:07:27 AM

Probably because we are the only SAR organization that I have ever seen that wears camo.  Like it or not, but wearing orange actually makes sense for all the safety reasons.

PA Guy

The majority of non CAP ground SAR teams in CA wear the orange shirt and the BDUs have been a source of conflict when working with those teams. In CA the county sheriff owns the ground in SAR matters and CAP ground teams operate at the pleasure of the sheriff so it makes sense to get along. The reality is that most of the local sheriffs don't need CAP ground teams. Their own teams far exceed anything CAP has to offer in terms of training and resources.

a2capt

This orange stuff isn't new either, it was being done and now finally got a regulation for it that is officially acknowledged. As you can see, it's very finite in when the uniform combination can be used. 

But if you take a look in the older thread about the controversial DF'ing equipment you will see photos that have had the CAP branch tapes 'shopped away, though they even were visible when the images were first published, and these go back several years.

Up to this era they were using the uniform combination at the base and for nearly any operations except flight crew and without it being written in any regulation or policy, telling folks they could not participate unless they adopted it, too.

..and they complain about participation. At least the current policy now strongly recommends it, but stops short of requiring it other than the orange reflective vest, or the orange shirt.

FARRIER

Colorado Wing, back in the 80's, ground teams used orange shirts, with name tape and CAP tape only. Worked fine.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Pumbaa

Let's see BDU's = military
California=Land of Fruits and nuts...

PHall

Because just about all of the various County Sheriff Search and Rescue Teams wear orange shirts already.
They're going for standardization.

And in California, per state law, the Sheriff of each County (all 58 of them) is responsible for all Search and Rescue activities in their county.
We operate in their county at their pleasure. So we try to make them happy.
CAP has been barred from doing SAR in certain counties in the past. And there's nothing CAP or even AFRCC can do about it either.

RiverAux

They were barred because of uniforms?

PHall

They were barred because somebody in CAP had a "run in" with the Sheriff Department SAR Team and the Sheriff decided to "eliminate" the problem.

In one county we had to wait several years until a new sheriff was elected before we were allowed to operate in their county again.

RiverAux

I'm confused as to just what purpose "standarization" in clothing worn by SAR teams does for anybody.  What harm is there in different SAR organizations having different uniforms?

Standardized training, sure.  But if one team would rather wear an orange vest than an orange shirt, what difference does that make to the effectiveness of the mission?

JayT

Quote from: RiverAux on April 17, 2010, 02:04:52 PM
I'm confused as to just what purpose "standarization" in clothing worn by SAR teams does for anybody.  What harm is there in different SAR organizations having different uniforms?

Standardized training, sure.  But if one team would rather wear an orange vest than an orange shirt, what difference does that make to the effectiveness of the mission?

It doesn't matter what you, me, or anything in CAP thinks. It matters what the boys CAP is working under thinks.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Major Lord

Well. with the thousands of ground team personnel just sitting by the phone waiting for a mission, I am sure that by adding yet another layer of restrictions ( the latest having been the "grounding " of CAP Vans) we will have no trouble staffing missions.......oh wait, we can hardly do that now....never mind.......

Its gratifying to know though, that other agency's leaders must have had "Ken" dolls too, and have dedicated their lives to revolve around the next new costume that Mattel produces.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

wuzafuzz

I have NO problem with the orange shirts, in fact I prefer them to orange vests.  However, I do find it entertaining that plenty of SAR organizations in CA do not wear the orange shirts or coats.  Is this "standard" only for wilderness SAR?  Plenty of USAR teams wear blue.  Do a search in Google images.  Some sheriff SAR teams wear khaki shirts, still more visible than camo, but not orange.  Case in point:  http://vcsar1.org/photos4.html  These folks are not sworn deputies, they are civilian volunteers.  Are they less "safe" than our CAP GSAR folks?  ;-)   Some SAR teams are all reserve deputies, like LA County, so they wear "ruggedized" sheriff uniforms but still look like cops.

CAWG can make their rule and it is probably best from a political standpoint to play well with other children.  Showing up for a ground search looking like a Christmas tree (green with bling) or Rambo doesn't help our image with the SAR community.  Of course professional conduct helps, but our members don't always provide that do they? 

If my wing still allowed GSAR to wear orange shirts I would do so in a heartbeat.  It's not appropriate for all CAP assignments, but for GSAR in the boonies it would be fine.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

wuzafuzz

An interesting article regarding high visibility uniforms and safety.  http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13312243 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

ZigZag911

Cooperating with customers is one thing, having them mandate our uniform (orange shirts) is kind of extreme...if they required the vests, well, that's "gear" rather than uniform, strikes me as more reasonable.

Oh well, thanks for the explanations...strikes me as strange, but then, I live in New Jersey, which opens a whole other set of stories!

Major Carrales

These concepts beought forth here must be wreaking havoc with those people that want us to have subdued nametapes.   >:D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BGNightfall

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 17, 2010, 05:29:03 PM
These concepts beought forth here must be wreaking havoc with those people that want us to have subdued nametapes.   >:D

Nope.  Orange shirt with subdued nametapes would work just as well.   8)

N Harmon

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 17, 2010, 05:29:03 PM

Not really. The idea behind wanting subdued tapes with white lettering is because it doesn't look gaudy like the ultramarine tapes do. Similarly, navy blue tapes on the BBDUs.

I don't care about the orange shirt except that it carry navy blue tapes and insignia that match the pants. Of course, I'm sure the supplement means ultramarine tapes, and not "blue tapes".

The question here is whether having an additional uniform item provides enough extra safety to justify the cost, and the problem is the ones making that decision don't have to bear the cost.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron