New CAWG Ground Team & UDF Uniform

Started by Smokey, April 16, 2010, 06:12:06 PM

Smokey

Effective Immediatly....New Ground Team Uniform for California................

CAWG Ground Team Uniform.
Background
Cal EMA has suggested that in the interest of increased safety CAP members participating in
ground search activity wear the commonly adopted SAR uniform recognized by law enforcement
nationwide. In March 2008, the CAP National Board approved a conditional exception allowing
for alternate uniforms to those defined in CAPM 39-1. In February 2009, PCR/CC and
CAWG/CC made the determination that the suggestion made by Cal EMA meets the criteria of
the exception.
This section defines the CAWG Ground Team uniform and the conditions under which it may be
worn. It is referred to below as the CAWG GT uniform. This section also defines authorized
uniforms for UDF team members.
Policy
It is the policy of CAWG that the CAWG GT uniform is authorized for wear by members
actively participating (as defined below) as a member of a Ground Team or UDF team on a
ground search sortie (training or actual). At all other times members must wear other uniforms
in accordance with CAPM 39-1. When appropriate, it is recommended the member convert the
CAWG GT uniform to the CAP Blue Field Uniform by wearing the Blue BDU Blouse with
appropriate patches.
It is the policy of CAWG that the CAWG GT Uniform shall be worn by all members actively
participating as a member of a Ground Team (training or actual).
It is the policy of CAWG that members participating in UDF team operations shall wear one of the
following uniform combinations.
(1) CAWG Ground Team Uniform
(2) CAP polo shirt/grey pants corporate uniform
(3) CAP Blue Field uniform
(4) Cadets may wear BDU Uniform.
Note: If CAP Blue Field Uniform or BDU Uniform is worn, wear of an orange safety vest is
MANDATORY and must be worn at all times while in the field.
CAWG SUPPLEMENT 1 CAPM 39-1 11 APRIL 2010 2
Actively participating is defined as the mobilizing, on sortie and demobilizing portions of the
ground sortie.
The CAWG GT uniform is not authorized for:
· Base Staff or Aircrew functions at any time.
· Ground Team or UDF Team members while transporting to or from a search base, or at a
search base in a out of service status
Implementation
Authorization for wear of the CAWG GT uniform is effective as of the date of this supplement.
Compliance with the provision requiring wear of the CAWG GT uniform by Ground Team
members is effective 120 days after the effective date of this supplement.
CAWG Ground Team Uniform Definition
(1) Description:
(a) Long or short sleeve orange (not fluorescent), two or four pocket shirt without epaulets.
(b) CAP Blue Field Uniform trousers.
(c) Boots appropriate for mission objectives, conditions, and terrain. The Ground Team Leader
will be the final authority on the suitability of boots.
(d) Additional outer garments (jackets, packs, outerwear layers, hats, gloves, gaiters, PPE etc.)
appropriate for mission objectives, weather conditions and safety considerations.
(2) Insignia and Patches
(Placement of insignia is identical to that shown in CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-17 for BDUs.)
The following insignia and patches must be worn.
(a) Blue Civil Air Patrol tape – cloth: is worn centered immediately above the left shirt pocket.
(b) Blue Name Tag – cloth: is worn centered immediately above the right shirt pocket (only the
last name is used).
(c) California Wing patch – cloth: is worn placed 3/4 inch below the shoulder seam on the left
sleeve.
The following insignia and patches may optionally be worn.
(d) CAP Aviation Badge and Ground Team Badge – Blue Cloth: if worn, are placed 1/2 inch
above the "Civil Air Patrol" tape. If both devices are worn, the aviation badge is placed 1/2 inch
above the Ground Team Badge.
(e) Cloth Specialty Badge (Communications, EMT, CPR, etc): if worn place centered on the left
shirt pocket.
(f) Unit patch or the National Search & Rescue School patch: if worn place centered on the right
shirt pocket.
(g) NASAR SARTECH Patch (with or without 1 rocker) or OES/Cal EMA Search and Rescue
patch: if worn place 3/4 inch below the shoulder seam on the right sleeve.
(3) Insignia NOT authorized on the CAWG Ground Team Uniform combination:
(a) Grade insignia (not even on the hat)
(b) CAP Lapel/Collar insignia
(c) Military Aviation Badges
(d) Metal insignia, badges, or awards
(e) Cords or other decorations
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Rotorhead

Are Wings allowed to mandate their own uniforms?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Rotorhead on April 16, 2010, 06:18:47 PM

QuoteIn March 2008, the CAP National Board approved a conditional exception allowing
for alternate uniforms to those defined in CAPM 39-1.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

Quote from: Rotorhead on April 16, 2010, 06:18:47 PM
The basis for this falls into two broad categories:
Customer request - in this case CA EMA
Environmental - i.e. snowmobile suits in AK

There are caveats. If the AF has said no (boonies with bdus) they cannot be allowed under this. CA makes a good call on basing it off the bbdu.

Smokey

A question I have is....A flightcrew in flightsuits tracks and ELT to an airport.  Do they have to call in a separate properly uniformed UDF team to search the airport for the beacon??  Since they are in flightsuits, once they land they would be a UDF team searching for the beacon, but would not be wearing the mandated UDF uniform.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Smokey on April 16, 2010, 06:41:12 PM
A question I have is....A flightcrew in flightsuits tracks and ELT to an airport.  Do they have to call in a separate properly uniformed UDF team to search the airport for the beacon??  Since they are in flightsuits, once they land they would be a UDF team searching for the beacon, but would not be wearing the mandated UDF uniform.

Moving to the nearest telephone booth ...
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

heliodoc

I am sure there will be a CAP hubalooooo over this

There may be a good reason for this as determined by CAL EMA and that is there perogative.   Maybe CAl EMA wants a DISTINCTION of Senior Member in the field with all the LE and military types in BDU's (spell SWAT, FBI, Sheriff) that that MAY want to preclude volunteers getting all mixed up with law enforcement activities and may also want to soften the appearance of folks during real disasters.  There may GOOD reasoning CAl EMA has done this and if it has been approved by CAWG.......well live with it

Now its is up to CAP to start fielding a uniform that is completely different than the BDU's.  But CAP's common sense for a field uniform that can be seen such as orange or similar has been pretty well twarted by CAP's belief that there only identity remains with some sort of military uniform. Maybe the trend like this will possible see CAP out of BDU's in the future.  CAP Senior Members might interpret the CAL EMA decision as some kind of BS and more "government interventions."  I say tough....State decisions over ride CAP volunteer decisions and uniforms any day of the week. So CAPTalkers.....It approved by NHQ-CAP ....start questioning allllllllthat and flaming that decision, 'cuz nobody came to CAPTalk for their input!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

This COULD be and only MAY be a start to a "credentialing process."  ONLY an opinion.   

But CAP as a "premier  SAR" organization sure could or should have a better uniform for being seen during search and locate missions, or other disaster relief missions. 

RiverAux

Hmm, I notice that it says that CA only suggested that the orange shirt be worn and that it is not a requirement. 

Short Field

Right - and when the General suggested I do something, I pondered long and hard as to if I wanted to do it since it was only a suggestion...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

CAP Marine

I can already hear it now... What shade of (not flourescent) orange?!

N Harmon

Orange vests are sufficient, there's no reason to try and make us look like local SAR units.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

pierson777

Quote from: RiverAux on April 16, 2010, 08:20:18 PM
Hmm, I notice that it says that CA only suggested that the orange shirt be worn and that it is not a requirement.

I disagree with your interpretation.

The only place in the supplement that it says "suggest" is where it describes the background of creation of the CAWG GT uniform.  The Policy section clearly states, "CAWG GT uniform shall be worn by all GT members while actively participating as a member of a Ground Team."  And under Implementation section its states, "effective 120 days after the effective date of this supplement.

To me that means that all CAWG GT members must wear this new uniform with the orange shirt while on a GT mission (training or actual).

Short Field

Quote from: pierson777 on April 16, 2010, 10:53:13 PM
The only place in the supplement that it says "suggest" is where it describes the background of creation of the CAWG GT uniform. 
RiverAux was implying that since CA only "suggested" the change, then CAWG didn't have to make the change.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Major Lord

Okay, I am confused. I have to wear the BBDU's but can't wear the blouse, only the Caltrans shirt. But I can wear a Blue M1 field jacket as outerwear? If I am wearing my CALTRANS shirt and an M1 BDU Winter Jacket, do I still have to wear the Caltrans vest? Do I sew CAP Bling to the Jacket, and with our without grade?

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

bosshawk

You didn't really expect anything coming out of Van Nuys to be complete and logical and without conflicting information, did you?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

Quote from: Major Lord on April 16, 2010, 11:25:20 PM
Okay, I am confused. I have to wear the BBDU's but can't wear the blouse, only the Caltrans shirt. But I can wear a Blue M1 field jacket as outerwear? If I am wearing my CALTRANS shirt and an M1 BDU Winter Jacket, do I still have to wear the Caltrans vest? Do I sew CAP Bling to the Jacket, and with our without grade?

Major Lord
It never gets cold in California...

Rotorhead

Quote from: N Harmon on April 16, 2010, 09:36:46 PM
Orange vests are sufficient, there's no reason to try and make us look like local SAR units.
I agree.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

lordmonar

Is this a REQUIRMENT in CAWG?

That is....no CAP members may particapate in ground SAR unless they have this uniform or is it optional?

If it is required....what about cross border operations?  Do the CAWG guys know that they can't wear that when the cross over to NV....and do us NVWG guys have to get a set when we support CAWG?

Don't we have enough uniform problems with out this added distraction?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

vmstan

Just change the whole uniform to a bright orange jumpsuit and be done with it. I'm sure we can get them surplus from the department of corrections.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Major Carrales

Quote from: Marshalus on April 17, 2010, 01:02:21 AM
Just change the whole uniform to a bright orange jumpsuit and be done with it. I'm sure we can get them surplus from the department of corrections.

I chuckled a little on that one.  I can see it now...the CAP Defiant Ones!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454